Ramen Noodles - More than just Sodium in a Bowl

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We go thru a box or two a week here (12 to a box). Many different ways but my favorite is to take a tsp of panang curry paste with a tbsp peanut butter, mix with the boiling water till dissolved and then pour into the cup. Works best with the shrimp version.

Hey, this sounds really good! Do you still use the salt packet? I admit to avoiding because of a sodium sensitivity. But they are so gosh-darn cheap that I imagine half the USA will be living on them shortly!

Seems like I am late to this discussion, but want to add that I love ramen, I know it is not very healthy in some sense, so what I do is I only put less than half of the salt packet, also I normally put lots of vegetables, like carrots, frozen corn kernel, bok choy or cabbage, and an egg is a must!

Andrea - unless you're adding pieces of hard-boiled egg (which, of course, would need to be cooked separately), I always cook the egg in the simmering broth. Some folks like to poach it whole, but my favorite - & the quickest - is to beat the egg first & then pour it into the simmering soup & stir lightly. Cooks immediately, & sort of turns it into an "egg drop noodle soup".

I definitely did NOT grow up with ramen noodles, but they are a real staple for fast meals when we do not have time for something else. My husband likes an egg cracked into his, I'm big on a hand-full of some kind of vegetable. No, they are not the most nutritious food on earth, but are very easy. When you have a cold, and don't have the where-withal to make home made chicken soup, a big bowl of the chicken variety will clean your sinuses (if you're so inclined, add some chilies, that'll do it!)

crazy question maybe, but do you cook the egg before adding, or let the hot liquid cook it as added?
I do both. Just depends on my mood. A lot of times I add boiled egg after I'm done but on ocassion I add egg whites into the broth. It's all about mood. If I am going to allow the broth to cook the egg, I add it before the noodles are fully done.

Thanks Breezy and Callisto ... that's what I was wondering, whether it was like egg drop soup. I was looking for the baked ramen last night but didn't find them, so my experiments will have to wait until I can hit another market. I wish I could find baked ramen AND reduced sodium in the same package. Does it exist?

I don't know about low sodium, but baked used to exist. I haven't seen it in years, but I live in a quite small town. I actually thing Campbell's used to distribute it. One option on the sodium front is to toss out the packet in the noodles and use your favorite low-sodium broth/boulion/stock instead, maybe with a small shake of some Asian sauce (remember many of them are salty as well).

I love the Korean and Japanese brands often adding egg kimchi. But I limit how often I eat them as others have mentioned way to much MSG and Salt.

I am with Breezy, i buy the plain Ramens from an Asian market and do em up "fresh"
1) I can get better flavor with fresh veg and spices, etc
2) I don't snack and any food I eat needs to be worth it in calories or it is just fat and I can't do that any more (used to tho...paying for it now)
3) I'm not feeding kids or teens or finniky folk. My partner eats what I serve.

But we love Ramen noodles because who doesn't like pasta and noodles?? HBeen a part of cuisines for 100s of years both east and west

I guess I've been missing out, I love Ramen noodles, but only ever had them straight out of the package. I love the idea of adding stuff to them~ especially the curry and peanut butter- yum! I also only ever tried the beef and the chicken. I guess I could add chili paste, fish sauce, peanuts, scallion, chicken and lime for a pad thai type dish- I'm so craving pad thai noodles right now!

Back
Top Bottom