"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-20-2008, 04:57 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Ramen Noodles - More than just Sodium in a Bowl

Okay, I know I can't be the only one who can make a nutritious meal out of Ramen noodles. I use the noodles as a base, add hard boiled eggs, frozen vegetables, low sodium chicken broth (in lu of the packet of flavoring that comes with it) and some seasoning and I have a kid friendly, fast meal for those nights I leave my office an hour later than I should be.

I have an aunt that makes a Chinese Chicken Salad and ever since she had a hard time finding the right noodles or fried wontons, she adds raw Ramen noodles to give it crunch.

Am I the only one who will admit to being creative with this packaged wonder.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:01 PM   #2
Executive Chef

Makes a good after dinner snack. The beef flavor leaves a weird after taste though.

Old 10-20-2008, 05:07 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
I love to poach an egg in it, add some cilantro and lime and Pickapeppa (sp?).

a bit of sesame oil sometimes

whatever veggies are handy

I PROUDLY admit I love the stuff!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2008, 05:26 PM   #4
Master Chef

i like them, too!! they're so quick.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:31 PM   #5
Master Chef

We go thru a box or two a week here (12 to a box). Many different ways but my favorite is to take a tsp of panang curry paste with a tbsp peanut butter, mix with the boiling water till dissolved and then pour into the cup. Works best with the shrimp version.
Old 10-20-2008, 05:48 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
We go thru a box or two a week here (12 to a box). Many different ways but my favorite is to take a tsp of panang curry paste with a tbsp peanut butter, mix with the boiling water till dissolved and then pour into the cup. Works best with the shrimp version.
Oh yeah, my sons all prefer the shrimp flavor hands down. (Of course, they'll happily eat any flavor that happens to be in the pantry.) They all like to add various things to their ramen including canned Veg-all, leftover meat sliced thin, sriracha and other hot sauces, and other stuff I probably don't know about. I've never heard of the peanut butter thing, Mav, but I'm definitely going to pass this on to my guys!
Old 10-20-2008, 05:49 PM   #7
Master Chef

I LOVE ramen noodles, but prefer the brands sold at Asian markets. The seasonings are more varied, spicier, & less salty. And they're just as inexpensive as the garden-variety supermarket brands.

And I never just eat them plain. I add sliced fresh garlic, chopped fresh veggies (scallions, bok choy, broccoli, snow peas - whatever I have on hand), along with other seasonings like chili-garlic paste, black bean sauce, hot sesame oil, etc., etc.

When I'm done with it, it's definitely a nice healthy meal. :)

I also like to use ramen-type noodles plain (supermarkets with an Asian section usually carry them) & after cooking them stir-fry them up - again with veggies & my own seasonings added.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:22 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Wow ~ I'm so glad I started this topic. I was a little worried people would be aghast that someone would think Ramen noodles was an actual usable ingredient in a dinner dish.
Old 10-20-2008, 06:32 PM   #9
Master Chef

No way Callisto! In fact, here's the recipe for our favorite ramen noodle accompaniment to Teriyaki-style salmon or chicken. Plus, you can easily double the recipe & add in cooked bite-size fish or chicken for a one-dish meal.

BREEZY ASIAN ZUCCHINI/CARROT NOODLE SIDE DISH

Here's a nice Asian-style side dish that I really like. Goes nicely with plain or Teriyaki-glazed chicken or salmon. Serves 2 but is easily increased.
Ingredients:
1 zucchini
1 carrot
package of Ramen Noodle soup mix
1 clove of garlic, finely minced
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger root
dash of red pepper flakes or to taste
vegetable oil
sesame oil

Preparation:
Wash & trim zucchini; wash, trim, & peel carrot. Cut both into julienne/matchstick pieces. Discard soup/spice packet from Ramen noodles or save for another use. Cook noodles according to package directions & drain.
Procedure:
In a medium/large skillet heat a thin coating of vegetable oil & saute squash & carrot sticks until squash is just tender. Add drained noodles, ginger, garlic, & red pepper flakes to taste & combine thoroughly. Add a drizzle of sesame oil, stir again, & serve.
Old 10-20-2008, 07:07 PM   #10
Master Chef

You are definately not alone when it comes to Ramen noodles. Either as a meal on their own or as an ingredient in something else.
The best "on their own" are definately the shrimp noodles with the oil flavoring packet instead of the dry powder stuff that we used to get at our Korean market.

As far as other uses ... the question is where to begin? I've added them to egg drop soup, hot-n-sour soup, stir-frys, add some dehydrated vegetables (those cans of instant soup mixes) and you have a "cup o' noodles", scramble a raw egg and pour over cooked noodles and add a sprinkle of crumbled bacon ...