Red potato and green bean ideas?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

NisAznMonk

Assistant Cook
I've got 10lb of red potatos and 3lbs of green beans. What the heck am I supposed to do with it?

Oh yeah...my wife gave it to me as a "gift". She told me that I needed start learning the basics of cooking. Too bad she just left the state for work reasons so I'm home alone.

Help? :LOL:

The easiest way I know to cook these isto roast them. Trim the ends of the beans. Just for looks you can trim a circle of potatoe peel around the potatoes. Make sure all of the potatoes are about the same size. You will want smallish potatoes for this. If they are not small you can cut them in half or cut them into wedges. Coat the potatoes with canola oil, salt pepper and an herb, I like thyme but rosemary is also good. Place the potatoes on a sheet pan with short sides. Roast at 350 degrees for about 1/2 hour. Check the potatoes and when they are about 1/2 done add the beans which have been coated in the same fashion as the potatoes. This is a yummy dish and really the instructions look much harder than it actually is to make.

Never tried it, but I would guess that a German potato salad with tender crisp green beans added would be quite tasty.

Wash and quarter your potatoes, toss with oil, salt and pepper and wrap in a foil pouch. Grill for about 30 minutes over indirect heat (or put in your oven for 30 minutes @ 350). While they are cooking, clip the ends off your green beans, cut into 1 - 1 1/2 inch lengths and steam until tender.

Enjoy a portion of these with your choice of meat tonight, refrigerate the left overs.

Tomorrow, chop 1/2 an onion and saute. Add a pound of hamburger and brown. When the meat is done, add your left over red potatoes and green beans (as little or as much as you like), sauteing in a little butter until they are heated through. Enjoy!

If you still have potatoes left ... mash them with an egg and chopped green onion, form into patties and fry until golden brown on both sides. Enjoy with applesauce or gravy.

Hope these ideas help :)!

This is a delicious green bean salad (I halve the green beans instead of cutting into 1-inch pieces, and steam them. I also use creamy Dijon mustard instead of coarse-grain):
CITRUS GREEN BEAN SALAD
Citrus Green Bean Salad Recipe

Southern style green beans and potatoes. Break the stems off the beans, and break them into pieces, if you want, or leave whole. Chop 3 or 4 slices of bacon, cook till most of the fat is rendered out. Chop a big onion, and add to the bacon. Mince a clove of garlic, throw that in too. Add your beans and potatoes, boil til potatoes are done and beans are tender.

You can use a ham hock or some chunks of ham instead of the bacon.

Get yourself a box of Jiffy corn bread mix, and follow the directions.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom