SOS Variations

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I knew there would be some folklore surrounding it. That's a good story about adding sawdust to the gravy.

...Here in My South, Sawmill Gravy is sausage gravy usually served over biscuits...'Country gravy' (aka milk gravy, cream gravy) is the same basic gravy without sausage, and is generally served over country fried steak...biscuits too.

There's a local diner that serves country fried steak with sawmill gravy so you get a double dose of meat - sausage and steak!

Ha! I never thought of making sausage gravy with my country(chicken) fried steak. What a decadent touch.

Sawmill gravy over Country fried steak...or Country fried Chicken...Over biscuits...Over Grits...Lots of black pepper and a few shot of hot sauce ~~~it's all good!!

I make a Tasso/Andouille gravy (no trinity) to serve over grits...Good eats!!

I didn't think about tasso! I just did a batch, well smoked it, a couple weeks ago. It had to cure for a week before then. I can't just do the sausage, flour, cream/milk/half & half and black pepper thing. I have to at the least get some onions in there.;) Seems Like I'm always "tweeking" things or I'll just come off the top of my head with an idea. Came up with some really nice dinners that way.

Craig

Growing up our version of SOS was Creamed Hamburger on Toast. Pretty simple- brown some burger, season with S&P, add milk then beat in some whitewash (ie a slurry of flour and water). We served it over toast made from whatever bread was in the house, usually something my mom made from scratch. Since I'm a chef, when I reproduced this family recipe at home I use bechamel sauce, but beyond that I don't change it. Okay, maybe I'll add a tiny smidgeon of sage but not much- it shouldn't taste like sausage gravy.

Growing up our version of SOS was Creamed Hamburger on Toast. Pretty simple- brown some burger, season with S&P, add milk then beat in some whitewash (ie a slurry of flour and water). We served it over toast made from whatever bread was in the house, usually something my mom made from scratch. Since I'm a chef, when I reproduced this family recipe at home I use bechamel sauce, but beyond that I don't change it. Okay, maybe I'll add a tiny smidgeon of sage but not much- it shouldn't taste like sausage gravy.

Add some Mushrooms, peas and onions, a little garlic and Soy Sauce...Hamburger Gravy. Yum...great comfort food. I serve it on mashed potatoes.

Just to remind old salts, SOS was just about the most expensive meal served in the galleys of U.S. Navy ships, and yet more it was also the butt (so to speak) of the most jokes about navy food.

You try buying enough chipped beef to feed one hundred or more hungry sailors SOS, two or three time a week all year long! :wacko:

Just to remind old salts, SOS was just about the most expensive meal served in the galleys of U.S. Navy ships, and yet more it was also the butt (so to speak) of the most jokes about navy food.

You try buying enough chipped beef to feed one hundred or more hungry sailors SOS, two or three time a week all year long! :wacko:

Especially at today's prices.:LOL:

I just bought some, I didn't bother looking at the price. I knew it was a treat. Unfortunately, I didn't get any milk, and don't have any canned or dried either, so the jar sits there mocking me, untouched, until my next shopping trip which won't be until Thursday. *Sigh*

When I was a child, growing up in the military, my Mom made the best SOS (and yes, excrement for the first, toast for shingle). She'd buy dried roast beef slices in a jelly-jar type jar. Milk gravy, some chopped green onions, but she always topped it all with some slices of hard-boiled eggs, and always had a thing about fresh ground black pepper. Come to think of it, I haven't made it for hubby in years, and he'd probably like it again. Oh, yes, now that I think about it, she'd sometimes add some peas.

Although the dried beef wasn't cheap, you used very little of it because it was so darned salty. Do they even make the stuff any more?
Yes, it always did remind me a lot of various southern sausage gravies.

Last edited:
When I was a child, growing up in the military, my Mom made the best SOS (and yes, excrement for the first, toast for shingle). She'd buy dried roast beef slices in a jelly-jar type jar. Milk gravy, some chopped green onions, but she always topped it all with some slices of hard-boiled eggs, and always had a thing about fresh ground black pepper. Come to think of it, I haven't made it for hubby in years, and he'd probably like it again. Oh, yes, now that I think about it, she'd sometimes add some peas.

Although the dried beef wasn't cheap, you used very little of it because it was so darned salty. Do they even make the stuff any more?

That's the one I bought, but can't make until I get some milk. I know, I could make up another sauce, but I'll wait until I can make the traditional style.

Pouring it over cornbread was really, really good, and I like HB eggs too, but I grate mine over it with my box grater. Pretty, and good for a breakfast for dinner.:chef:

I usually find it on a top shelf in the canned meats section. Hormel, I think.:ermm:

Last edited:

Except for the onions, that's exactly how my Mom fixed it. I love the stuff!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom