"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 03-31-2009, 08:55 AM   #1
Master Chef

Sour Milk

Does anyone else have a family where, when milk soured, we made pancakes? It was a big, fun deal, because we didn't make pancakes often. But if someone commented that the milk was sour (I have three sisters, and I never liked milk, and a sis of mine hates it, and my mom wasn't fond of it) So the supposedly spoiled milk always became pancakes, and we were in heaven!

Old 03-31-2009, 09:32 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Claire, my mom and dad didn't waste anything, so sour milk we got either pancakes or waffles...I loath milk but loved those goodies..My sister and I both looked forward to these breakfasts and sometimes dinner.
kadesma

Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 AM   #3
Executive Chef

due to pasteurization and homogenization milk doesn't really sour anymore...it rots. As it begins to "turn" it is quite usable in biscuits, pancakes, waffles etc. But if it is really gone, the taste would be not so good even in baking. I keep buttermilk (which is quite acidic) on hand for such baking and the results are great.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:36 PM   #4
Master Chef

If the milk was going bad, my mom made pudding. It was from scratch and was always chocolate. We loved to eat it warm and had a great time with the "skin" that cooled on top. Now with instant puddings so prevalent, that warm pudding is often forgotten.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:48 PM   #5
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robo410 View Post
due to pasteurization and homogenization milk doesn't really sour anymore...it rots. As it begins to "turn" it is quite usable in biscuits, pancakes, waffles etc. But if it is really gone, the taste would be not so good even in baking. I keep buttermilk (which is quite acidic) on hand for such baking and the results are great.
The milk I buy is only minimally pasteurized, so it does sour. I never thought of pancakes. Would someone post their recipe? That would be great.

The milk doesn't get a chance to sour too often, but when it does, I usually make Sour Cream Cookies, or Sour Cream Coffee Cake.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:50 PM   #6
Senior Cook

someone want to explain the difference between sour and rotten milk?
Old 03-31-2009, 09:43 PM   #7
Executive Chef

soured milk will taste sour...have a hint of the yogurt or buttermilk taste, may seem a little bit thicker or even separated. Rotting milk will have a sweet fermented odor and a fairly nauseating taste as the sugars are doing their thing whatever that is. Once the green skim forms (mold) it's all over.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:52 PM   #8
Master Chef

A number of Amish recipes call for sour milk. I think you can add a little vinegar to regular milk and it will work for your recipe. Search it on Google.
Old 04-01-2009, 04:55 PM   #9
Senior Cook

thanks! but what exactly is going on inside the milk that makes it different? im gussing that rotten milk has more to do with bacteria or other nasties begining to develop?

but then what exactly is sour-ing?
Old 04-01-2009, 06:09 PM   #10
Sous Chef

Send a message via MSN to Lynan
If you want to sour milk to use for pancakes....add 1 tbsp lemon juice to one cup milk and leave for 5 minutes before using.