"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 06-03-2016, 01:57 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Started a YouTube Channel with a How to make food section. Would like feedback. :)

Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently started a YouTube Channel and I have a started a series that is aimed at university students to help teach them how to cook quick, tasty meals. In addition to helping them save money and tips of saving money on food/the weekly shop.

All feedback would be grateful. Here is my first video of this series:
https://youtu.be/8MV6_HBGIJc

Thank you for the time to read this Post.
I have a few questions:
What do you think I should address in future videos?
Is there a way to present the video better? (I have limited recording equipment so just trying to work with what I have got )

Sorry if this in the wrong forum.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by fatpanda View Post
Hello, I am new to this site. I have recently started a YouTube Channel and I have a started a series that is aimed at university students to help teach them how to cook quick, tasty meals. In addition to helping them save money and tips of saving money on food/the weekly shop.

All feedback would be grateful. Here is my first video of this series:
https://youtu.be/8MV6_HBGIJc

Thank you for the time to read this Post.
I have a few questions:
What do you think I should address in future videos?
Is there a way to present the video better? (I have limited recording equipment so just trying to work with what I have got )

Sorry if this in the wrong forum.
Just one small suggestion. Talk as you are doing something. Even if it is just chopping. You can tell us the name of your dish, even though we already know it by the title.

And yes you came to the right place. The title of this site is "Discuss Cooking." Welcome to Discuss Cooking.

Old 06-03-2016, 02:41 PM   #3
Assistant Cook

Awesome, Thank you. I shall keep that in mind when making my future videos.
Old 06-03-2016, 03:40 PM   #4
Head Chef

Nicely done fatpanda. That's a nice wok. Unlike some of your youtube colleagues, it looks like you actually have used a knife before.

I've long thought that for students, or anyone with limited room and appliances, two handy implements would be a four slice toaster oven combined with a 6-inch cast iron skillet. That makes possible simple but impressive things like frittatas and pan pizzas with store-bought pizza dough. So that's three mini-webcasts.

Here's another idea. You said early on, make sure you have a sharp knife. I would think that to be a fairly rare thing in a college dorm or a 20-year-old's apartment. Why don't you show them how to sharpen a knife with an arkansas stone or whatever method you like.

If those are useful, you're welcome to them. If not my feelings won't be hurt.

Welcome to the forum.

skilletlicker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 03:53 PM   #5
Senior Cook

I liked it. Makes me want to make fried rice. Perhaps tomorrow or Sunday. I'll toss some pork or perhaps shrimp in mine. Thanks for giving me the yearning for it.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #6
Master Chef

Nice video!

For students, how about ideas on turning instant ramen into gourmet meals?
Old 06-03-2016, 04:16 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Thank You skilletlicker. Haha, I don't remember how I learnt how to use a knife. Being from a Chinese family my early days of cooking we just used a meat cleaver for everything! I think once I got to uni is when I started using a knife as its takes up less space. I think just watching cooking shows like Masterchef gave me some basic ways to use different utensils.

All feedback and ideas are good, Thank you. :) I think I actually will put them ideas in a video with some other useful tips when cooking.

Thank you. :) If you have any more ideas feel free to send me a message. :)
Old 06-03-2016, 04:21 PM   #8
Assistant Cook

Thank you LizStreithorst. That sounds amazing. Lemme know how well it comes out. Your Welcome Definitely add some extras to it. I was thinking student might not be able to afford the luxuries. I sometimes treat myself to these luxuries after handing some coursework.
Old 06-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #9
Assistant Cook

roadfix that is actually a really good idea! I think that will be a video for sure!
Old 06-03-2016, 06:50 PM   #10
Executive Chef

The first thing you have to do is get that advertisement off the screen. I can't see what you are doing behind it.

Tags
food, how to