Super Cheap & Versatile !!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SugarMama

Assistant Cook
I have a few picky eaters....ok, most of my house is, lol....so I try to find/pick meals that everyone can/will eat. Here are a couple various things we use, super cheap and simple....not to mention yummy !!

Flour tortillas:
3 c. flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. salt
5 -6 tbs. shortening
1 1/4 c. warm water

mix flour, baking powder and salt. cut in shortening- until almost crumbly. Slowly add in water, mixing as you add it. Once it's too hard to stir- start kneading. Turn onto a floured surface and knead until smooth- turning often. Return the dough to the bowl and cover with a warm damp towel for about 10 minutes. Pull balls off the dough- about the size of a golf ball. Roll until smooth, set on plate/in a bowl. Once all balls are rolled, cover and let rest another 10 minutes. On a floured surface, roll out the dough balls until they're thin- to your preference, I prefer them really, really thin. Place them in a preheated cast iron skillet- 1 - 3 minutes on each side or until lightly browned. Don't over cook or they won't roll up well.

Stuffings (just a couple of our meals- but you can really add most anything)

White rice- add salsa, a can of corn and heat til warm. add chopped/cubed chicken breast if desired, top with shredded cheese, roll and enjoy.

Eggs- scrambled. cheese. veggies if desired.

Shrimp- saute' in non stick skillet or a lightly sprayed skillet. add adobo. wrap with strawberries. (I also add tofu for myself)

Quesidillas. place wrap in a skillet, top with cheese and a second wrap. flip once warmed and cheese begins to melt. serve with sour cream, salsa and other fixings if desired.

The flour tortilla wrap recipe in itself is super helpful. I really love it !!
(and it saves a lot of money, I was spending $2.49 - $3.79 for 12 - 18 wraps....now, I can make a LOT more for a LOT less)

Back
Top Bottom