"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-08-2008, 07:38 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

does anyone have a good recipe for some salsa to go along with the tacos or some sort of sauce, and for filler, i think beer-battered fish woudl go well hehe

Old 09-08-2008, 07:44 PM   #22
Master Chef

I watch my salt intake, too, and so like to make my own version of refried beans....basically cooked seasoned beans without much salt and pureed.....then spice it up with homemade salsa and the other goodies.........I also like to add fresh tomatos, shredded lettuce, low-fat sour cream, and a tad of shredded cheese along with some onions.......serve it with a fruit salad and it's a very nutritious and filling meal.......of course if you have chicken, beef, or pork on hand that's just icing on the tortillas or burritos

Old 09-08-2008, 08:00 PM   #23
Master Chef

I also love pico de gallo:

2-3 hot peppers (jalapeno or serrano) chopped (use less or more according to taste buds
2-3 small roma tomatos (less pulp juice than regular--or just seed regular)
1 cup chopped onion
1/4 cup freshly chopped cilantro
1/4 tsp. salt (kosher or sea salt if you have it)
2 Tbsp. of water

We live on this stuff but it doesn't keep more than a day and is best served fresh and is delicious on tacos, burritos, beans, rice, etc........and it's really expensive in the stores already made up......also good served with some fresh chopped avocado
Old 09-08-2008, 08:17 PM   #24
Head Chef

I like the taco kits with the hard shells that have a flat area ( instead of the traditional curved ) This way they stand up and make it easier to fill.

I used to just layer the stuff on. But as I got to the last few ingredients ( lettuce, cheese .....) I often ran out of room. So now, I just make a taco salad ( meat fried with the taco seasoning ( morning star farm crumblers = fake chopped meat since im a veggie) lettuce, cheddar cheese, onions, tomatoes, black olives) I ill mix it all up. If too dry, Ill add a little of the taco sauce that was included in the kit or some sour cream or both. Then , once the taco salad is all mixed up, I just stuff the taco shells with it and enjoy.
Old 09-08-2008, 08:30 PM   #25
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Pacanis - I must also admit that my taco philosophy definitely follows yours. I have no problem whatsoever using commercial hard taco shells &/or hard taco shell "dinner" mixes.

I particularly like Old El Paso's "stand-alone super stuffer" hard taco shells. Those flat bottoms definitely make them easier to fill.
I saw those flat bottomed shells. Very cool idea
I have a metal rack for my tacos, but if I didn't I'd be all over those flat bottoms. Sheesh, the things they come up with to make life easier
Old 09-08-2008, 08:32 PM   #26
Master Chef

Big Dog - I'm sure Emeril's Essence (which I mix up myself as well) would work just fine.

Even when I use the packaged taco mix I still "tweak" it. Add chili powder, onion powder, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, ground cayenne pepper, dried oregano, cumin, coriander - whatever's at hand. In fact, I probably don't even need the taco mix at all - lol!!!
Old 09-08-2008, 08:33 PM   #27
Master Chef

sounds good, Larry,.......they really should supersize them......nobody eats just one anyway :)......that's what I like about using soft tortillas instead.......you can get them small or large and still stuff them with all the goodies but I do like the crispiness and flavor of the tacos, too
Old 09-08-2008, 08:36 PM   #28
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
Big Dog - I'm sure Emeril's Essence (which I mix up myself as well) would work just fine.

Even when I use the packaged taco mix I still "tweak" it. Add chili powder, onion powder, granulated garlic, crushed red pepper flakes, ground cayenne pepper, dried oregano, cumin, coriander - whatever's at hand. In fact, I probably don't even need the taco mix at all - lol!!!
really you should, BC.........yours is probably a lot tastier and fresher than the packaged anyway
Old 09-09-2008, 12:14 AM   #29
Head Chef

I'm surprised Dina hasn't chimed in here with the lowdown on real Mexican tacos. The "tacos" we eat in the US are really Tex-Mex, I guess. In Mexico, the taco "shells", aka tortillas, are never hard and crisp. They are always soft. Before serving, they are just heated briefly on the comal/griddle. In our area, they are usually served flat, two to a plate, with filling that consists of some kind of meat, sliced onion, sliced radishes, cucumbers, maybe some cabbage. No cheese, no lettuce. Salsas on the side, also the ever-present lime wedges. Beans are often served on the side and they are piled on. Not usually rice. BUT - Mexicans use tortillas (corn, in this part of Mexico) like others use bread...they are eaten with almost every meal and the food offered (beans, rice, meat) is just scooped up into the tortilla. It is yummy. Flour tortillas are used for fajitas and sometimes quesadillas. Every little tienda (corner store) has fresh,warm tortillas available all day. The main tortilleria in town delivers them in coolers stacked in the back of a pickup truck, picking up the empty from the day before. If you look just inside the door, there is always an insulated "cooler" with warm tacos. They tend to run out by late afternoon, though. They are SO good.
Old 09-09-2008, 01:57 AM   #30
Traveling Welcome Wagon

Grocery shopping day is usually taco or tostada day for us. I usually buy the premade taco shells (but fry corn tortillas when I make tostadas). I don't like packaged taco seasoning--too salty. My tacos are pretty simple I guess. In order from bottom--taco shell, ground beef that has been browned and then had chopped onion and garlic added, shredded cheddar or Mexican blend (cheddar and Jack), shredded lettuce, chopped tomatoes, guacamole, sour cream, and salsa. I usually put too much sour cream and guacamole and end up with a mess, so I always have a fork handy! lol My tostadas are not much different. From bottom--fried corn tortilla, refried beans, cheese (same as above), ground beef (same as above), onions (raw, in addition to what was cooked with the meat), lettuce, tomato, guacamole, sour cream, salsa. If I have them, I add black olives. I'm making myself hungry!

Barbara