"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-09-2008, 08:44 AM   #31
Chef Extraordinaire

OK, that does it. I better take some burger out to thaw because I've developed a hankerin' for some tacos

Old 09-09-2008, 09:17 AM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by MexicoKaren View Post
The "tacos" we eat in the US are really Tex-Mex, I guess. In Mexico, the taco "shells", aka tortillas, are never hard and crisp. They are always soft.
I can't remember the last time I had one of those Ortega hard tacos. We only use tortillas, and lately only 6" corn tortillas.

I chopped up the leftover meat and added it to a mixture of jarred taco sauce, chopped onion and an array of peppers from my garden. We had some leftover bell pepper rice so a scoop of that went on the tortilla too. Sides were homemeade red beans and fried plantaines.

I would really like an authentic recipe though, if anyone has one. TIA

Old 09-09-2008, 09:25 AM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

My favorites are the 6 in corn....white or yellow....warm a bit, and put anything in the world in them....leftover, warmed up a bit Catfish tacos for lunch anyone??

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2008, 09:41 AM   #34
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
OK, that does it. I better take some burger out to thaw because I've developed a hankerin' for some tacos
NO DOUBT!!! I was just readin through this thread and thinking the same thing!
Old 09-09-2008, 10:13 AM   #35
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeekinz
I would really like an authentic recipe though, if anyone has one.
Sounds like what you are doing is pretty authentic to me. Practices vary by region here, but where we live, there is no real "recipe." You just take what you've got and put it in a hot, soft corn tortilla. Add salsa - at least 3 are usually offered here. One is salsa verde; another is a more picante salsa ranchera, and usually some version of a sauce with avocado - not guacamole, much more liquid than that. As for the meat, it could be chicken simmered in a spicy red sauce, fried chorizo, pork with verde or red sauce, or the local favorite - carne asada. That is just barbecued or grilled beef steak. It is made from paper-thin sliced steak, cooked very quickly and then cut up so fine it is almost minced. Our favorite taco place also has tacos with lengua (tongue) and birria (goat meat). I've never seen a taco here made with ground beef. Ground beef and pork are used to stuff poblana chiles, as in Chiles en Nogada, but generally not widespread or popular. Tacos pastor are also yummy, but take special rotisserie equipment, and tacos canasta are cooked ahead of time and wrapped in a towel, so they are steamed. For a taco "gordo" or "gordita" you use a slightly larger tortilla and swipe it through the sauce before it is filled.

And Uncle Bob? That catfish taco sounds wonderful...fish tacos are more prevalent up in the Baja area, but we have a few restaurants who serve them here.
Old 09-09-2008, 09:42 PM   #36
Master Chef

For tacos, I always go to a street corner taco truck. 10 tacos for 10 bucks. Since I'm in LA there are taco trucks parked everywhere. There's never a shortage of them.
They also give you bags of chopped onions, cilantros, radishes, grilled peppers, lots of salsa, etc.... There's always more than enough condiments left over for use in other cooking during the week.
Old 09-12-2008, 07:47 AM   #37
Sous Chef

not really sure what you're after here Jeenks..

there's like a million diff "taco fillings", it's like "pizza toppings"...

you looking for a certain type?

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:01 AM   #38
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by giggler View Post

not really sure what you're after here Jeenks..

there's like a million diff "taco fillings", it's like "pizza toppings"...

you looking for a certain type?

Eric, Austin Tx.
I just wanted to get an idea of some authentic fillings excluding ground beef and Ortega taco mix.
Old 09-12-2008, 10:20 AM   #39
Sous Chef

well...

there as diverse as

Nopales, small strips of pickled cactus, quit good, vegetarian fair..

There is Bean and Cheese, I like rice also...

There is eggs, with anything you can think of...

There is Pork, which is a very rich dish, see "Carnitas", it is often fried slowly in lard..

There is Tripas, "tripe", Lengua, "tongue" my personal fave.., there's Chicharone... that is rendered Pig Skin, but soft, not like the Fried Pork Rinds you buy in a bag like potato chips...

There is probably like 100 diff styles of Beef. Carne i thinks is a just a Generic word for meat, so you may see Carne Guisada, Carne Asada, Carne Adobodo....

Then there is the whole " fish Taco" thing from California...

Here in Austin, I can "literallly" walk 2 blocks down the street and get any of these...

In fact, it's getting difficult to find a standard "egg" and Hash browns breakfast around here anymore!

Eric, Austin Tx.
Old 09-12-2008, 09:32 PM   #40
Head Chef

Jeekinz, here are two authentic recipes for taco fillings...the carnitas are wicked, but delicious beyond description. Use lard if you can get it. The chicken tinga is a very common taco/enchilada filling, and very good also. In my little town, the meat would be heaped on an open soft corn taco - two to a large plate - and then adorned with sliced onion, thinly sliced radishes, maybe some avocado, and lime wedges. Salsas on the side. You just fold the taco in half, gabbing it firmly to enclose all the goodies, and chomp away. Maybe some beans also on the side - not refried.

http://mexicanfood.about.com/od/gotpork/r/carnitas.htm

Chicken Tinga Tostados - Allrecipes