"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 07-21-2009, 09:50 AM   #21
Senior Cook

I have to say I love McD's french fries.

But, I have been making my own at home, and baking them. Skin on, I like mine better.

Old 07-21-2009, 10:15 AM   #22
Senior Cook

When McDonalds started, it wasn't the hamburgers that they focused on - they claimed it was the french fries that kept bringing people back time and again. The potatos were par-boiled, throughly dried, frozen and then cooked at 375 degrees in a blend of peanut and coconut oil. It was the coconut oil that was their secret ingredient until the "saturated fat people" complained.

Old 07-22-2009, 12:48 PM   #23
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by mj1 View Post
Does that mean they're cold, hard, and inedible?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I remember the last time I went to McDonald's (back in 2001) I ended up with fries that were cold and hard. The next time I went, it happened again. I stopped going there. Burger King was always my first love anyways.

But I'm going to give this recipe a try.
mj1 -

No a big deal to fix that. I don't visit either of those places anymore. However, to get the best product capable from them (i.e. hot and fresh), and ask for no salt on your fries which requires a new batch be fried. For a fresh burger, I'd ask for extra pickle, or onion.

Bob
Old 07-22-2009, 01:09 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arky View Post
When McDonalds started, it wasn't the hamburgers that they focused on - they claimed it was the french fries that kept bringing people back time and again. The potatos were par-boiled, throughly dried, frozen and then cooked at 375 degrees in a blend of peanut and coconut oil. It was the coconut oil that was their secret ingredient until the "saturated fat people" complained.
Really?

I seem to recall McDonalds being one of the last FF restaurants to stop cooking their fries in lard in the early 90's.

In fact, I did remember this correctly...

From rense.com: (an exerpt from Fast Food Nation - great book, worth the read)

Quote:
For decades McDonald's cooked its french fries in a mixture of about seven percent cottonseed oil and 93 percent beef tallow. The mixture gave the fries their unique flavor -- and more saturated beef fat per ounce than a McDonald's hamburger.
No disrespect to Arky, but Schlosser's research that supported that massive muckraking tome has been, to this date, unassailable, though many have tried.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2009, 01:39 PM   #25
Senior Cook

The Metal Chef - I stand corrected - sort of - Yes, the original formula was 7% cottonseed oil and 93% beef tallow, but when they began experimenting with other oil combinations, coconut oil and peanut oil went into the blend in at least one store - My son worked at McDonalds, and his store was one of the experimental ones where they try new things (new hamburgers, salads, kid's meals, etc.) for the public, and I recall him talking about the F.F. oil blends, of which there were several, and some tasted better than others. I thought they had used the coconut oil, peanut oil, safflower oil blend nation wide since it created one of the better tasting fries, but I could be wrong.
Old 07-22-2009, 01:52 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Quote:
The Metal Chef - I stand corrected - sort of - Yes, the original formula was 7% cottonseed oil and 93% beef tallow, but when they began experimenting with other oil combinations, coconut oil and peanut oil went into the blend in at least one store - My son worked at McDonalds, and his store was one of the experimental ones where they try new things (new hamburgers, salads, kid's meals, etc.) for the public, and I recall him talking about the F.F. oil blends, of which there were several, and some tasted better than others. I thought they had used the coconut oil, peanut oil, safflower oil blend nation wide since it created one of the better tasting fries, but I could be wrong.
I've no doubt they experimented with all kinds of blends during the four or five years prior to their abandonment of tallow - that's why they resisted the change so vehemently - the tallow was the signature flavor of those fries. It was only when they managed to find a chemical company that could produce a coating for the fries that contained enough beef flavoring to replace the tallow that they finally switched to veggie oil.

(Youtube didn't like us publishing full feature length shows....)
TheMetalChef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2009, 01:59 AM   #27
Assistant Cook

i will try this one..
Old 10-15-2009, 03:13 PM   #28
Assistant Cook

I love McDonalds fries!! Might have to try and make these.
Old 10-15-2009, 04:42 PM   #29
Mr. Greenjeans

Quote:
The Metal Chef - I stand corrected - sort of - Yes, the original formula was 7% cottonseed oil and 93% beef tallow,
Mmmmmm beef tallow....
Old 10-15-2009, 08:19 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

Seeing the name of McDonald's, I always think of the scene where Michael Douglas gets into one of those fastfood restaurants (I think called Whammy Burger), finally manages to order lunch, but gets outraged when the burger he receives looks nothing like the thick, juicy one shown on the menu board. Although the type he plays isn't exactly an admirable one, he does have a point: usually there is indeed a difference between the picture on the board and what you find in your wrap/carton afterwards...