Tastes like McDonald's fries

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squeaker

Assistant Cook
Tastes like McDonalds fries & cheaper than buying them!

Dissolve 1/3 cup of sugar in 2 cups of warm water. Place two large potatoes (peeled and cut fry size) and let set 15 to 30 minutes. Heat deep fryer to 350 degrees. Remove potatoes from water and dry off all excess water. Cook potatoes for one minute and remove. Allow oil to go back up to 350 degrees then place potatoes back in oil and cook until golden brown. Remove from oil, drain and salt to taste. (Even though they tastes good just like that I have a fry salt that I use which I mixed garlic pepper seasoning, sea salt, paprika and cayenne to taste)

NICE!

What I wanna know is how to make fries like Burger King. The SUPER crispy ones!

How you crisp so good BK?!?!?!

Tastes like McDonalds fries & cheaper than buying them!

Does that mean they're cold, hard, and inedible?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I remember the last time I went to McDonald's (back in 2001) I ended up with fries that were cold and hard. The next time I went, it happened again. I stopped going there. Burger King was always my first love anyways. :)

But I'm going to give this recipe a try.

Yummy, I can't wait to try this simple recipe. We're having burgers tonight so this is perfect.

From what I understand, the unique flavor of McDonald's fries is from a beef flavoring. I believe they used to use beef tallow instead of vegetable oil and when the pressure came down on them for health reasons, they switched to a beef flavoring and vegetable oil.

It's been a few years since I read the article.

Bill is right - the thing that made McD's fries taste so good was good ol' beef fat. When they had to trim down on the trans fats - there went the beef. I know the company that made the McD fry blend still listed it on their catalog even after McD's quit using it - but I haven't looked at the site in some time.

Last edited:
Does that mean they're cold, hard, and inedible?

I'm sorry, I couldn't resist. I remember the last time I went to McDonald's (back in 2001) I ended up with fries that were cold and hard. The next time I went, it happened again. I stopped going there. Burger King was always my first love anyways. :)

But I'm going to give this recipe a try.
mcdonald's fries taste the best fresh out of the fryer. if you can grab them without saying ouch they aren't hot enough!! :LOL: if you don't want cold fries and you don't want to ask every time if they are hot heres the trick. a counter girl at mcdonald's told me to ALWAYS ask for fries with NO SALT. they HAVE to make a fresh batch because many people CAN'T have salt so they have to make it the way you want. they are ALWAYS hot and fresh. just get salt on the side. i also liked the fish sammies but they always seemed to be cold and greasy ............ so order the fish with the sauce on the side. they have to make it fresh. i always get hot fish and fries now. :LOL:

btw i will try the sugar thing very soon. i am planning to make fried chicken so these will be nice. i think i will do steak fry cut though.

The key to the crispy fries is the second frying. You need to get them almost done then give them a rest. They will come out with a bullet proof skin and a soft moist interior. I almost always double fry everything. For our Fathers day fish fry I start frying an hour or so before the party starts.

I also have to say that I love BK fries, they are much better than McD.

The best fries we've had in ages were made at home. I cut them into fries and put them in water for a few minutes - drain them and shake them in a few tablespoons of flour. Fry in canola oil, but don't crowd the pan. They turned out crisp, brown and delicious. I sprinkled garlic salt on ours.

Hmm. I like them when they're made at home too. It really worked for me.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom