"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-28-2008, 01:38 PM   #21
Assistant Cook

Send a message via Yahoo to hookied_up
I accidentally a whole chicken....the whole thing!!

Whut are I sposed to do now?

Roast it in the oven and finish with BBQ sauce maybe?
Soup?
Sammiches?
Chicken quesidillas?

Old 10-28-2008, 01:58 PM   #22
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by hookied_up View Post
I accidentally a whole chicken....the whole thing!!

Whut are I sposed to do now?

Roast it in the oven and finish with BBQ sauce maybe?
Soup?
Sammiches?
Chicken quesidillas?

Depending on the size of the chicken andthe number of people you are feeding, you could do all of the above.

Old 10-28-2008, 03:47 PM   #23
Head Chef

One tiny consideration when buying breasts... nowdays about 12% of what you pay is for the injected broth. So at $1.99 a pound for boneless skinless chicken breast, you are probably actually paying $2.22.

I buy BSBreasts when on sale. When whole chicks are cheap, I buy them. I am another only the bones go away guy. If I don't make broth, my dogs get the skin and uneaten parts in their meals. They like seeing whole chickens in the freezer, LOL!
Old 10-28-2008, 05:46 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by pacanis View Post
Just for the record, chickens (whole ones) are on sale this week, BYGO, so I'll be having beer can chicken in my near future and probably pressure cook the other one and turn it into soup. I hope they have a long exp date, I don't want to freeze one, but this is probably a really good buy for someone who would take the time to part them up.
I just did this about a month ago. I saw they were on sale again this week so I bought 4 more. My freezer is full!! I just can't pass up a good deal. I like the breasts and wings and dh and ds like the legs and thighs, although ds will eat anything!! (He's 18)

Barb
Old 10-28-2008, 06:42 PM   #25
Executive Chef

Personally, I buy the 10 lb bag of leg-and-thigh quarters. They're currently running US$6.37 + tax in my patch of the prairie. That works out to 63 cents/pound. I can do ALL sorts of things with those. They come with part of the backbone attached, so I will usually cut that off and save for stock, as well as poach the pieces, pick the meat off, and reserve the bones for stock. I'll even use the broth I get from poaching, in addition to my homemade concentrated stock.

Every now and then I will get a bag of frozen BS Chicken Breasts, as PeppA really likes them. I moan and groan about the cost every time. I can do a lot of nice things with them, but prefer to use legs and thighs.

I used to roast whole chickens. Then, the kids started getting bigger, and a 7 lb bird just wasn't big enough for us. A couple years ago, I would roast two chickens at the same time to have enough. However, the kids have kept on getting bigger, and so have their bellies. Now, if I want to roast a bird, I have to go to a turkey. I only roast Turkeys for Thanksgiving and Christmas. I have thought about smoking a whole turkey, just never got a round to it.

BTW, CharlieD, I've been using this as my signature here on this board since I joined in 2003. I've been using the same quote as my signature on my hotmail account for 11 years.
Old 10-28-2008, 06:48 PM   #26
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post

Turn up your speakers! Get ready to pat your foot!

Ah---NO!!---- people in the South don't really talk like this.. Well maybe a few

Please notice... momma is in the kitchen cutin up a chicken to fry!

Have Fun & Enjoy!!
I actually remember that song, Uncle Bob. My ex used to turn the radio up when it came on because he knew how much it irritated me. Now, I think it's funny.
Some people around here used to speak that way, but I don't hear it much anymore. My Aunt Ruth in Kentucky used to say she was going to carry us someplace, and then we'd get in the car and go.

Sorry, I'm off subject. I think a whole chicken is definitely the best buy, but for the two of us, Kim frequently buys bone-in breasts and thighs, or occasionally boneless breasts for a certain dish, like a stir-fry. Sometimes, they have big bags of leg quarters on sale, and although you have to cut off a lot of excess skin, that is something you can put in a chicken broth, I think they are a great buy.

Still, I love a whole roast chicken. I can get at least 3 meals from one.
Old 10-28-2008, 07:04 PM   #27
Head Chef

i buyt whole chickens from BJS .. they are really cheap ..
and i never get tired of the things you can do with them ..
Old 10-28-2008, 07:05 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance
I actually remember that song, Uncle Bob. My ex used to turn the radio up when it came on because he knew how much it irritated me. Now, I think it's funny.
I hadn't thought of it in forever, but when the lady ask about my "Wang" cooking the whole Wang, Swang, Thang, Came to mind!
Maybe play it for Kim...Maybe a little "Swang" around the room is in order!

Love the value of whole birds!!

Kool-Aid...Think Before You Drink
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2008, 08:22 PM   #29
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to Adillo303
Andy M - I got up and cut the chicken up and froze it. Oops! I boned the breast, then I learned that cooking bone in is more flavorful. I'll go that way next time. :) :) :)

AC
Old 10-29-2008, 02:32 PM   #30
Assistant Cook

I never thought about that either, I always figured "well, It's cut up right there!" but now that I'm thinking about it... I'd really like some Broth to make dumplings... Sounds like if I Just got the whole chicken, I might have some atm... That and living on campus... no one want's to take the time to steal a whole chicken!