"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-31-2008, 07:15 AM   #31
Master Chef

I can still buy leg and thigh portions for well under a dollar a pound (last time I bought them it was 39 cents). I noticed our local grocer has whole chickens for 99 cents a pound this week. This is worth it IF someone eats the dark meat, and IF you rescue all the bones and make stock. Most of the time, though, my husband will only eat the breasts. I agree with some who say those frozen, boneless, skinless chicken breasts are boring. The meat is much more flavorful if you cook it skin-on and bones-in. But for convenience sake the breasts are easy, and you don't throw much away.

Old 10-31-2008, 09:37 AM   #32
Executive Chef

We had a herb roasted chicken last night. Since we both prefer dark meat, the legs and thighs are gone. The breast meat is my lunch today AND will be part of tonights dinner, either a chicken ziti or chicken and spinach lasagna rolls. The best part is, I don't have to cook the chicken!

Old 11-03-2008, 03:48 PM   #33
Senior Cook

Chicken is so expensive here - I am lucky to find it on sale for $2.99lb :(
Old 01-22-2009, 07:44 PM   #34
Assistant Cook

Whole chickens are the way to go! I do beer can chicken on the bbq with them.
Old 01-23-2009, 10:26 AM   #35
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Dove View Post
I roasted a whole chicken a few weeks ago (beer can method). it came out smokey and delicous but it got me to thinking about the economics of whole chickens. Based on my estimate of how much meat I got off the whole chicken it doesn't seem that much more economical than buying boneless, skinless breasts when they're on sale ($1.99/pound).

We usually stock up on about 20 pounds of chicken breasts when they're on sale.

Has anyone else found whole chickens to not provide that much savings?
what is the beer can method
Old 01-23-2009, 10:32 AM   #36
Master Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to ChefJune
Beer Can Chicken is when you open a can of beer and set your whole cleaned and prepped chicken ON the can, and then roast it, either on the grill or in the oven. The beer in the can flavors the chicken and keeps it incredibly moist.

I cannot remember the last time I bought parts of a chicken other than wings or livers. I'm sure it was when I was teaching a class that included a "boneless-skinless" recipe. I never use those things at home. I'd rather cut up a chicken and cook the pieces on the bone, following the "b-s" recipe. And I don't use tasteless (imho) supermarket chicken, but I still don't like "b-s" breasts.

OTOH, wings, now that's another story.... (Especially for Sunday's game. )
Old 01-23-2009, 12:54 PM   #37
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by nappi View Post
what is the beer can method
Nappi,

The way I do it is:

Season the chicken under the skin with salt, pepper, lemon zest, and diced cilantro leaves.

Set up the grill or bbq for inderict cooking. (Coals or heat source beside not under neath the spot where I am going to put the chicken.)

Open a can of beer (what ever kind you like) pour off about a quarter of it (or drink it while you are prepping the bird and grill) put some of the seasoning you use on the bird in the beer (maybe a tablespoon or so) and insert it into the cavity of the chicken.

From this point on the chicken will have to sit on the can and be propped up by the legs for stability.

Place on grill where there is no heat source under neath and close lid on the grill/bbq I usualy have my temp guage reading at 300 to 325 and I cook for about 2 hours.

If you have a good sized serving platter and you are not being fancy, I serve the bird a platter, can still in it sitting up and let people pick what they want off the chicken.

The steam from the beer keeps the chicken moist, the seasonings really penetrate the meat because they were applied under the skin and it always gets rave reviews.

Hope this answers your question.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:23 PM   #38
Sous Chef

whole chickens are the cheapest trick in the book....they are super affordable and can be made so many different ways. They provide all sorts of bonuses as well....probably the easiest cheapest way to put a great meal on the table.

For a long time I was intimidated by the whole chicken...now I find making one to be a simple pleasure and cant believe I used to buy those pre-cut chicken breast strips.

of all the ways I still like stuffing em and roasting em best
Old 01-23-2009, 01:34 PM   #39
Assistant Cook

I buy whole chickens cause I want to know where they've come from. You can tell a lot more from the condition of a whole bird than some lump of pink meat. Whole birds normally have some details, like breed, where it was reared and how it was reared. Cheap chicken meat tastes of nothing and just becomes a texture to absorb flavours. I'd much rather spend 3 times more and get something that tastes of chicken. Cheap chicken is not good for the farmer, the bird or the chef.