TNT - My Mom's Goulash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SizzlininIN

Master Chef
This is a dish I grew up on and it always brings warm memories. With 8 mouths to feed mom had to watch her pennies at the grocery store. Mom always just served it with bread and butter.

MY MOM'S GOULASH

This is exactly as she wrote it down for me.

Brown about a pound of ground beef. Sometimes I add a little sausage. Add some chopped onion, some green pepper if you like cook until soft add:

1 tsp of salt
1/2 tsp of pepper
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp garlic salt
1 bay leaf
Some worcheshire sauce

Brown and cook together. Add 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 can tomato soup, 2 small cans of tomato sauce and some ketchup if you like. Taste add more or less.

Meanwhile cook 1 box of creamette macaroni in boiling water until aldente or tender, drain, do not rinse, add sauce to macaroni and cook on low for a few minutes. You can use parmesan cheese if you like. Make sure you cook on low or it will stick. Taste and add more of what you like. I sometimes add Italian Seasoning. And take out bay leaf. You can add what you like.

MY NOTE: I can never recall eating this without green bell peppers in it. Also when I make it I only use the ground beef.

mmm. Sounds good. I don't know what mom added to hers as far as seasoning, but you just can't beat good goulash with a fork in one hand and a piece of buttered bread in the other.

Hey! A new forum! I've visited it twice and didn't even know until I followed the link from the frugal recipes thread!
:LOL:

OH yay! What a good idea (the forum).

Sizzlin- Your goulash sounds really good. I've always been curious about the dish and I'm excited to try it now that you've poted this yummy recipe. Thanks!

My mom... or maybe it was me when I started making goulash... but I always toss a can of kidney beans it there! Sounds delich!!!!

This is what DH makes about EVERY time he cooks.
Luckily this is only once every 3 months cuz I swear he'd make it twice a week!

This is what DH makes about EVERY time he cooks.
Luckily this is only once every 3 months cuz I swear he'd make it twice a week!

He obviously has good taste! Try it over some polenta some time instead of macaroni, that's the way my Mom made it, and it was another way to streeeeeeeetch a meal for the 6 males in our family.

Hey, where were you the last 20 years???
I finally found a close recipe for Your Mom's Goulash (and my grandmother's)..

But I will be trying yours, too. Green peppers.. I remember those too! I think at the time
I ate around them... now they sound good.

yup I thought it would be interesting for GrillingFool to grill the goulash!!!
The polenta sounds not bad however....

Sizzlin, your Mom's Goulash recipe is a very popular dish around these parts!

We call it "American Chop Suey"! I grew up on that, too!

Lee

hey, I would grill it!
Well, cook it on the grill and give it a bit of
smoke time anyway.

Polenta.. scary looking stuff in tubes that I havent gotten the
guts to try yet. LOL!

This is the one dish my DH cooks well. When he was a bachelor, he would make a huge pan of it and eat it all week (or until it grew fuzz on top). He always adds some fresh chopped garlic, and sometimes we grate a little cheese on top. Yummy.

I almost fell in the floor laughing while watching Guy Fieri on tv one night when he was visiting some diner up in the Northeast and first encountered "American Chop Suey" - a dish totally foreign to him - not just the name, the dish!

Well, I grew up with it being called Slum Gullion, the lunch ladies at school called it Goulash .... same thing as American Chop Suey.

Hamburger, onion, green bell pepper, diced tomatoes and/or tomato sauce, ground black pepper, large or small macroni ... garlic powder optional.

I have a pound of burger thawing in the fridge, and was trying to think of something quick and easy for dinner tomorrow.

American Slum Goulash it is! :)

Lee

I made a number of tries to come up with an American Chop Suey recipe that met my eldest's approval - it had to taste like the stuff from the college cafeteria!

We figured it out together and now it's a staple for her.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom