Waffles reheated are now in the trash

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

inchrisin

Senior Cook
Hi,

In the past couple of posts I've made, the consensus was that I should cook my foods before trying to store them as leftovers. This held true for breads and for hash browns.

So, I bought a waffle iron and I'm thinking to myself, "Self, what are they going to tell you on the forum about storing waffles? COOK IT FIRST AND THROW IT IN THE TOASTER LATER."

Wrong. I had amazing waffles yesterday morning. The leftovers went in the trash can after two bites. The first bite had no syrup on it. It was terrible. The second had butter and syrup. Still terrible.

I'm wondering if anyone makes a large batch of waffles and saves some of them for later. I've read that the batter is good for a week if kept in the fridge, but I really doubt that's true.

What are your thoughts?

Did you freeze the leftovers and then toast them straight from the freezer?

I've had good results reheating leftover waffles but I may have much lower expectations than you do!!! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

Try reheating the leftover waffles in the waffle iron.

Thanks to the miracle of double acting baking powder I would keep the batter in the refrigerator for up to three days. If it becomes too thick you may need to add some additional milk and if it separates you may need to give it a quick stir.

Good luck!

As we are a 2 person family, I always cook all the waffle batter, cool and freeze what we don't eat and heat them in the oven when wanted..
To us, they taste just about as good as freshly done..
I've never saved the batter for later use..

Ross

I make pancakes and waffles and freeze them for later use. They always come out of the toaster or toaster oven just as good as new.

I have also mixed a big batch of just the dry ingredients, stored the results in a sealed plastic container, and combined 1 cup of the dry ingredients with one cup water, milk, or buttermilk when I am ready to make pancakes or waffles, the difference being that waffles need one egg while the pancakes require none. This mix usually makes 7 pancakes or 8 waffles.

Last edited:
As we are a 2 person family, I always cook all the waffle batter, cool and freeze what we don't eat and heat them in the oven when wanted..
To us, they taste just about as good as freshly done..
I've never saved the batter for later use..

Ross

+1 all the way around -- what Ross said! :LOL:

waffles.jpg

I've used this recipe for Waffles for, oh, at least 10 years now.
Blue Ribbon Buttermilk Waffles - SacoFoods
At first I would make a half batch, but sometimes we'd be extra hungry and not have enough. So I now make a full batch and freeze the leftover-cooked waffles.
I put a piece of parchment paper between each waffle, layer, bag and freeze for later.
To reheat, I place the desired amount of waffles on a sheet pan with a wire rack, into a 350⁰F oven for 10 minutes and its time for Brunch!

May I also suggest a use for your leftover-cooked waffles?

ice cream sandwich.jpeg

Something we have "on the boardwalk" when we go back East-
Ice Cream Waffle Sandwich, YUM! :yum:
The way they do it is slicing some brick-style Neapolitan Ice Cream and sandwich that between 2 pieces of warm waffle and dust liberally with powdered sugar.
OHMYGOSH!! :ohmy:
If I can't find the brick Neapolitan, I'll just spoon any flavored softened Ice Cream in.

Oh, and I never save the batter. You've got the Waffle Iron hot, why not just cook it all and hold the lot in a warm oven until they're all done.
I mean, cleaning a Waffle Iron isn't always easy, depending upon your machine, mine is a pain! :glare:

Last edited:
I make pancakes and waffles and freeze them for later use. They always come out of the toaster or toaster oven just as good as new.

I have also mixed a big batch of just the dry ingredients, stored the results in a sealed plastic container, and combined 1 cup of the dry ingredients with one cup water, milk, or buttermilk when I am ready to make pancakes or waffles, the difference being that waffles need one egg while the pancakes require none. This mix usually makes 7 pancakes or 8 waffles.

I haven't done that in years since the last one left home. Great advice.

I have some in the freezer right now....and since you mentioned them, I'll pulling a couple out and toasting them!!

Hi, inchrisin. Yes, as stated above, go ahead and use the batter, cook them all and freeze the rest, separated by squares of wax paper or parchment paper. You can take one or two waffles or pancakes out at a time and refreeze the rest. It works great!

Last edited:
Gotta love it when the OP doesn't come back to answer questions or acknowledge others input.:mad: Gives you that "I've wasted my time" vibe.

I think that when a half dozen people comment about a subject, its a win.. If the OP chooses to disengage, that's his/her loss..

Ross

I agree!

I feel the same when someone resurrects an old thread and adds new information to it but I also enjoy reading the old magazines in the doctor's office! :ermm::ohmy::LOL:

+1 to Ross, Aunt Bea, and Carol! I don't mind at all when old threads are brought back up. Like Carol says, they're probably "new" to me anyway and sparks new thoughts and ideas.

Sometimes I feel bad for new posters that bring them up and expect a reply, only because the thread has probably been originated by someone who is long gone.

+1 to Ross, Aunt Bea, and Carol! I don't mind at all when old threads are brought back up. Like Carol says, they're probably "new" to me anyway and sparks new thoughts and ideas.

Sometimes I feel bad for new posters that bring them up and expect a reply, only because the thread has probably been originated by someone who is long gone.

I don't mind it, either. I just thought people would want to know, for the reason you mentioned, Cheryl.

When these old threads get dusted off, it's like a walk down memory lane with old members. I know why some are gone (still miss you, kades and vit), and I wonder why we haven't heard from others. It's as if some just fell off the edge of the world, because the world is flat, ya know. ;)

Back
Top Bottom