"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Click Here to Login

Old 02-09-2018, 03:28 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Weekly Meal Plan - Ideas?

Hello,

So I want a weekly meal plan which is healthy and easy to make, with little fuss of ingredients. (Not a great cook!)

Can you let me know if this is at least relatively healthy so far?

Breakfast: Banana

Lunch: We have a salad bar at work, so every lunch I have a large bowlful of lettuce mixed with a whole range of things (cucumber, tomato, chickpeas, beetroot, greenbeans, broccoli, etc.) - I consider this my portion of vegetables for the day.

Dinner: So this is where I struggle. Currently I make myself a tuna pasta which will last 2 days. Another day I'll have a portion of chicken drumsticks (from frozen) and chips. Then maybe I'll have a steak and chips once every 2 weeks or so.

Basically, I don't like keeping items which will expire quickly, as I only shop once a month, plus I get all my veggies at lunch... I also dislike grocery shopping!

Can you advise if what I'm having currently is not too bad and perhaps suggest another one or two quick but healthy meals to have during my week?

Many thanks in advance!

atkinsd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 03:43 AM   #2
Master Chef

IMO, healthy means balanced. A banana for the most important meal of the day, isn't healthy.

Old 02-09-2018, 03:50 AM   #3
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
IMO, healthy means balanced. A banana for the most important meal of the day, isn't healthy.
I was also looking for some suggestions...
atkinsd91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2018, 07:44 AM   #4
Head Chef

If you shop once a month, start doing a monthly menu, weekly wont work. Better make great plan for the whole of the month and it also makes shopping easier.

Mine is easy, think like this. Every month has in theory 4 of each day, every day has 1 main ingredient. So all you now need to do is find 4 recipes for Monday, 4 for Tuesdays and so on. Then you need to pair the week up so you use up everything perishable .

It is easy.

This mine this month:

Monday: Swedish meatballs, Hamburgers with mash, Hamburgers with chips/fries, Meatloaf with mash.
Tuesday: Sausage stroganoff, Pasta bake with sausage , Fried sausage with fried potatoes and egg, Sausage stew.
Wednesday: Chicken wok, Chicken skewer with lentil rice, Chicken and rice soup, Breaded chicken with roasties.
Thursday: Mexican rice casserole. Shepherds pie, Chili with cornbread, Earthly pasta
Friday: Pulled pork buns, Pizza, Burrito, Taco.
Saturday: Curry or fancier chicken dishes
Sunday: Stew with yorkies, fried pork steak with potatoes and sauce x 2 and Gran's tomato pork.

We have veggies with every meal and dessert on Sundays and candy on Saturday.

Breakfasts in this house, is sandwiches, tea , milk or coffee and oatmeal porridge or farina porridge and sometimes even a full English ( Scottish way to hard to do) or pancakes.
Old 05-21-2018, 06:53 PM   #5
Assistant Cook

When i meal plan its for 8 days at a time usually.
I start off by pinning recipes for dinners then open my notepad and start writing down the ingredients needed to make that dinner. So that is my grocery list plus now breakfast items needed and lumch stuff needed then lastly snacks like popcorm, nuts, chocolate then the miscellaneous stuff like bread, milk, cheese, eggs you know the repeat foods.

My menu for dinner is:
Chicken Enchiladas
Orange chicken w rice
Thai chicken flatbread
Sloppy joes w fries
Loaded baked potatoes
Stuffed peppers
Pulled bbq beef w coleslaw
Bbq beef tacos w leftovers
Lauraalice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2018, 06:16 AM   #6
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
If you shop once a month, start doing a monthly menu, weekly wont work. Better make great plan for the whole of the month and it also makes shopping easier.

Mine is easy, think like this. Every month has in theory 4 of each day, every day has 1 main ingredient. So all you now need to do is find 4 recipes for Monday, 4 for Tuesdays and so on. Then you need to pair the week up so you use up everything perishable .

It is easy.

This mine this month:

Monday: Swedish meatballs, Hamburgers with mash, Hamburgers with chips/fries, Meatloaf with mash.
Tuesday: Sausage stroganoff, Pasta bake with sausage , Fried sausage with fried potatoes and egg, Sausage stew.
Wednesday: Chicken wok, Chicken skewer with lentil rice, Chicken and rice soup, Breaded chicken with roasties.
Thursday: Mexican rice casserole. Shepherds pie, Chili with cornbread, Earthly pasta
Friday: Pulled pork buns, Pizza, Burrito, Taco.
Saturday: Curry or fancier chicken dishes
Sunday: Stew with yorkies, fried pork steak with potatoes and sauce x 2 and Gran's tomato pork.

We have veggies with every meal and dessert on Sundays and candy on Saturday.

Breakfasts in this house, is sandwiches, tea , milk or coffee and oatmeal porridge or farina porridge and sometimes even a full English ( Scottish way to hard to do) or pancakes.
Sweet Moses, chef! Do you ever get out of the kitchen?
Old 05-22-2018, 06:41 AM   #7
Master Chef

We plan our meals every week and shop accordingly. We rarely have the same thing again, except for meals using purposely planned leftover proteins, in a two month period. Sometimes while shopping something might catch our eyes and we'll make a change on the spot or actually leave a meal open for that reason. We might decide to go out or order something in, which will alter our planned meal.

Tags
ideas