What did your parents do for Budget Friendly Meals?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
We had several hunters and fishermen in the family.

Some years ground venison appeared quite often in pasta sauce, chili, ACS, etc…

The steaks were often used in Swiss steak.

We rarely had it plain because it tended to be dry and had a taste that was unfamiliar to us kids.
Oh my gosh, I'd forgotten all about the Swiss Steak. My mom would make that, using ground beef. She would always make it in her electric skillet.

Speaking of Swiss Steak - does anyone have one of those meat tenderizers? The ones with needles that pierce. Not pounding it but actually making holes. I heard that they work quite well.

to me the Swiss Steak I got from a butcher would be passed it thru a machine (sort of like a pasta roller) but full of sharp prongs that would tenderize the meat.

Not being a steak buyer nor cooker, I haven't really looked recently. I assume they are still around?

Speaking of Swiss Steak - does anyone have one of those meat tenderizers? The ones with needles that pierce. Not pounding it but actually making holes. I heard that they work quite well.

to me the Swiss Steak I got from a butcher would be passed it thru a machine (sort of like a pasta roller) but full of sharp prongs that would tenderize the meat.

Not being a steak buyer nor cooker, I haven't really looked recently. I assume they are still around?
Yeah, that's what we call "chopped" steak, which is great for making country fried steak, that sort of thing. However, I haven't seen it in my grocery store for a long time. In fact, I looked for it a couple of months ago specifically to make country fried steak, which was a request from my son. Couldn't find it anywhere.

I just remembered that my mom would make Swiss Steak with cuts of round, not ground. Ground was used for Salisbury.

We call it cube steak in this area.

I like them for pork and for chicken that is going to be breaded.

I’m not familiar with a machine for home cooks ours was always passed through a machine at the butcher shop.

Last edited:
Yes, I recognize the term cube steak. It is a "slap chop" type of hand held gadget.

Edit:
Silly me, of course there are a ton of them on Amazon! :mrgreen:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom