"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Click Here to Login

Old 09-09-2012, 09:33 PM   #121
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Haven't had boiled dinner for ages. Mom used to make it a few times during the winter and family would just happen to show up!

My mom always used the smoked shoulder (ham) and dad always made a hash out of the leftovers the next day.

I hear that some use corned beef, but we never had it that way.
Neither did we. For St Paddy's Day in March all the barrooms make it with the corn beef.

I found an easy way to peel the turnips. Cut it in half at the equator. Then slice off the ends. The slice it into 1-2 inch slices. Peel the slices. Works like a charm. Just under the peel is a very thin light colored strip. That is very bitter. Peel just below that lighter strip.

Funny how a boiled dinner draws people in. If I was sitting on the front stoop with some friends, they could smell it cooking. All of a sudden they would want to go into my house and play cards or the piano. And it always happened just when dinner was ready. But there was always enough. My mother would always make Flannel Hash with the left overs.

Old 09-10-2012, 07:05 AM   #122
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I remember my ,mother telling me to never pay more than fifty cents a pound for meat. She would tell me that we could wait until it went on sale.
According to the USDA, the average prices for beef received by farmers per live weight pound went from 9 cents in 1941 to 22 cents in 1948 and 27 cents in 1970.
The cheaper retail cuts sold for about 4 times prices received by farmers.

Old Yesterday, 07:51 PM   #123
Cook

My mom did pastas soups and stews a lot. I remember pasta 1 pound of hamburg half a bag of frozen veg 1 chopped onion and a can of spaghetti sauce or at grandmas it would be canned tomatoes and a can of brown beans. Fed 8 people no problem often with bread.

Now I do tree work which is often seasonal in Ontario. So I spend my busy seasons filling our chest freezer with fruit and veg in season in the fall I stock up on squash at $1 each you get a good deal.
We also split chicken and beef orders raised at my parents and pig from my sister.
So when I get laid if and money is tight I make sure there’s still good food on the table for my wife and I.
I take extra beef soup bones my sister doesn’t care to bother with them as well as the pork hocks they have 7 people per house we have 2 so hock pork and beans I take the time to make is just fine with us.

We love soups all sorts and can eat a pot for a week sometimes lol.
We usually make a roast start of the week and base our meals around the cooked meet and veg we have on hand.

I enjoy the task of taking the cheap, tough, overlooked, unwanted cuts and making something delicious out of them.

I started roasting my beef soup bones like pot roast makes a whole pot of soup but needs less stock to be added then stove top so easier to stretch out
Old Yesterday, 08:38 PM   #124
Senior Cook

My mom was not a chef. She was barely even a cook. I don’t think I ever even knew that veggies didn’t come from a can! Dad liked to broil steaks on special occasions, and loved to make chocolate chip pancakes for us on selected Sundays.

We were never “poor,” but my folks grew up during the depression, so they were always frugal when it came to food (or anything else). When I repatriated, though, with a lot of cooking under my belt (as they say), they were more than happy to fund my shopping trips and kitchen bacchanals.

The thing I remember most clearly is Mom serving up canned green beans doused in Bob’s Big Boy Rouquefort Dressing. That dressing was her go-to; she would dump it on anything we kids didn’t like.

Mom and Dad were the best parents a kid could ever want. I miss them both so very much. Every day. But neither of them were great in the kitchen!

« Cheap butcher cuts | - »