What I do to save a bit of dough - for the more Asian style adventurous types!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JamesN

Assistant Cook
Hi everyone,

My first post. I've been a foodie most of my life, even creating some noodle dishes from scratch! Love noodles. But lately I've been in save mode due to starting my businesses and such. But since I spend a lot of my time traveling, I'll share with you what I do to save money here in S.Korea.

Canned Tuna! oh yea...but I do a quickie style sushi thingy with it. It's very popular here in S.Korea

- 1 canned tuna about $1.00 where I'm at
- 1 teaspoon of spicy taste (called gochuchang here) I meant paste!
- some toasted sushi seaweed wrap (they call it kim here) ( .50 per mini pack)
- 1 bowl of ready made microweavabowl rice ($1.00)

Take a rectangular piece of kim and spoon some hot rice, then 25% of tuna , wrap it all up, and shove it in your mouth and there you go... a true Korean style meal for Under 3 bucks!

"Eat less if you want to be mentally alert"

Oh i forgot, make sure you mix the tuna and spicy paste thoroughly and add a little sugar, this technique makes a big difference in taste and texture! You don't want chunks of tuna, you basically want tuna paste.

welcome jamesn.

this sounds good. i'll have to try it. it sounds like you are making samgak kimbap.

i love gochuchang (a sort of thick hot sauce), so i think it would go well with tuna.

do you use nori or roasted laver? is it oiled and or salted?

JamesN said:
Hi everyone,

My first post. I've been a foodie most of my life, even creating some noodle dishes from scratch! Love noodles. But lately I've been in save mode due to starting my businesses and such. But since I spend a lot of my time traveling, I'll share with you what I do to save money here in S.Korea.

Canned Tuna! oh yea...but I do a quickie style sushi thingy with it. It's very popular here in S.Korea

- 1 canned tuna about $1.00 where I'm at
- 1 teaspoon of spicy taste (called gochuchang here) I meant paste!
- some toasted sushi seaweed wrap (they call it kim here) ( .50 per mini pack)
- 1 bowl of ready made microweavabowl rice ($1.00)

Take a rectangular piece of kim and spoon some hot rice, then 25% of tuna , wrap it all up, and shove it in your mouth and there you go... a true Korean style meal for Under 3 bucks!

"Eat less if you want to be mentally alert"

That sounds so good! I'm definitely giving that one a go. Thanks for sharing, I'm a newbie too! :)

This sounds like a really lovely alternative to sushi, never even thought of it but will definitely be trying it sometime. Keep them coming

This would make a really neat take-it-with-you lunch. I'm thinking if I make some sticky rice, add the tuna & hot sauce, & then take nori with me, I could just make it as I want to eat it :)

I know what my fiance's getting for lunch this week *laughs*

Back
Top Bottom