"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 05-05-2009, 12:52 PM   #91
Head Chef

Blissful, everyone over here in Europe thinks that food is cheap in the States compared to what we have to pay.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:29 AM   #92
Master Chef

I, too, do not really have a limit or a set amount I spend. When we look at the checkbooks and decide to spend less, we do. I keep a full pantry and when we feel the need to cinch in the belt a little, I cook more out of the freezer and pantry. When we're feeling more flush, I splurge a lot, which has the effect of filling the freezer and pantry. There are only two of us, so I don't really plan meals much in advance. I just tell my husband in the morning what we have on hand, what needs to be eaten in the way of fresh produce (or in the garden in summer), and we decide what dinner that night will be.

Oh, my French friends tell me that we in the USA have better quality, less expensive, and so eat more meat.

Old 06-04-2009, 07:47 AM   #93
Senior Cook

My budget is "as little as possible to eat well" - LOL. Excluding coffee, I spend a bit under $3 per day for me and the dog -- butter is about the most expensive food that I buy. I eat pork, chicken or fish almost every day, but use no convenience foods at all. It only works because I have time to cook everything from scratch and do virtually all of my food shopping at ethnic supermarkets.

SRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2009, 05:03 PM   #94
Assistant Cook

Hm...I am really big on budget shopping and I get a lot of things from the dollar stores, and things that are on sale.

I actually think I spend around $30-$40 a week, but that is just me shopping fo rme and no one else...occasionally I indulge in some sushi (my absolute favorite food!).
Old 08-05-2009, 11:59 AM   #95
Senior Cook

The gouvement here in norway say that a ordinary familie with 2 children and to adults use about 1100$ each month on food.
1 adult male 420$ a month.

A tenageer should use about 330$ a month.

I now that I use more because of my food allergy.
kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2009, 12:10 PM   #96
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by SRL View Post
...It only works because I have time to cook everything from scratch and do virtually all of my food shopping at ethnic supermarkets.
I'm jealous! I have lived in large metropolitan areas in the past and used to shop in ethnic markets like you do, but now I live in the heart of the Ozarks - a cultural wasteland where biscuits and gravy is the standard meal of the day, fried okra is a staple, and an apple pie with a lattice top is an exotic dessert! A saving grace is that it is pretty here.

But like you, I create from scratch to keep cost down and variety at a level where I don't feel like I'm on a deserted island.
Old 08-06-2009, 08:19 AM   #97
Master Chef

Kamp: Yes, it is harder to budget for food if you cannot eat the starches that are the least expensive food items. It is made more difficult if fresh vegetables are not available year-round. We're thinking of you, feel free to ask any of us anything any time.

Arky: Been there, done that. Even when I first moved here there were some products that were hard to get. I'd have friends from Chicago who vacation here shop for me! You'd be amazed at the stuff we learned to make from scratch when we were on the road and landed in places where ethnic meant a trip to Taco Bell in the nearest medium sized town. Luckily, you live in the era of internet shopping. And our network; one DC friend sent me kaffir lime leaves and lemongrass (still unavailable here). I still have some of the leaves in the freezer, and am now growing my own lemongrass.
Old 08-06-2009, 11:30 AM   #98
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp View Post

A tenageer should use about 330$ a month.
unless said teenager is in school, in which case that's about $200 a month, if that.

i spend no more than 175 a month.
Old 08-06-2009, 02:36 PM   #99
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by fire34fighter View Post
unless said teenager is in school, in which case that's about $200 a month, if that.

i spend no more than 175 a month.
This is was SIFO (government in norway) says.
kamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:41 PM   #100
Master Chef

5 people to feed, 2 (90+ lb.) puppies, and 2 fat cats runs me about $350 to $400 every two weeks. Thank goodness I don't have to feed the 3 horses out in the barn.