"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 08-06-2009, 04:50 PM   #101
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by kamp View Post
This is was SIFO (government in norway) says.
I see. In the US most college students tend to put Beer as a higher prority than food, especially with ramen noodles being so cheap.

Old 08-06-2009, 05:01 PM   #102
Mr. Greenjeans

I cannot answer as I bulk shop. Meaning I go out once a week for staples while using the stockpile in the cabinets and freezer. Then about once ever two months I bulk up and buy to refill the cabinets and freezer. Usually I wait for a great deal on meat and just buy a huge amount.

You know, $.99 chicken, $1.80 chuck roast, $1.65 pork loin, $.99 pork shoulder.

I do save money on sausage and ground meat as I make my own. 60/40 beef/pork ground meat makes an excellent, low fat, low price burger. Pork shoulder makes the best sausage. Most times I have to buy a pork belly to get enough fat to make the sausage but that is similar in price to the shoulder.

Old 08-06-2009, 09:37 PM   #103
Sous Chef

Jikoni - Thanks for having such a pretty picture for your avatar. It makes it easy for me to find your posts :-)

$530(US) per week for groceries? Can I come and clean your kitchen for you in exchange for your cooking (feeding me)?

Bob
Old 08-06-2009, 11:20 PM   #104
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CasperImproved View Post
$530(US) per week for groceries?
I spend less than half that in a month...
Old 08-03-2010, 02:58 PM   #105
Assistant Cook

I spend in the UK about 160 which in US dollar is about $250 per week. There is only the 2 of us but that includes pet food, toiletries etc. I try really hard to budget, we only eat out maybe once a month if that, same with takeaways. food here has got very expensive. want to get it down to about 100/week (approx $160) but struggling
Old 08-03-2010, 03:27 PM   #106
Head Chef

I have never really tracked it, but to hazard a guess..~$350/week.

But I don't spare any expense on my Saturday cooking adventure (the only day I REALLY cook), and it is always accompanied by a good wine.

My wife typically does a real nice meal once a week as well.

Then everything else are the snacky things, staples, coffee, dog food, sundries, etc.
Old 08-03-2010, 05:31 PM   #107
Sous Chef

Since my husband and I have both lost our jobs, yeah economy, I'm trying to keep it between 5 and 10.00 a day. Ain't easy.
Old 08-03-2010, 06:40 PM   #108
Executive Chef

We've been saving for retirement for 45 years but try to keep our 'grocery' bills, for two, down to below $1,200 per month. Those 1980's dollars do not go nearly as far as they used to and most economist 'experts' tell us that 'moderate' inflation is good for the economy. Taxes continue to be and promise to increasingly become a far bigger drain on our income.
Old 08-03-2010, 07:01 PM   #109
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Since my husband and I have both lost our jobs, yeah economy, I'm trying to keep it between 5 and 10.00 a day. Ain't easy.
Ah Kathleen the joys of living in florida... Because of the economy, I too am having a hard time finding employment, that pays me anything...
Old 08-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #110
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mimizkitchen View Post
Ah Kathleen the joys of living in florida... Because of the economy, I too am having a hard time finding employment, that pays me anything...
It's nice to know someone understands but, it sux that you have too. I've even looked at Macy's and the like and no one is hiring around here. Meaning Central, near Orlando and Tampa. But HEY! Disney is raising it's prices starting tomorrow to $82.00 per ticket!