"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 08-07-2010, 12:59 PM   #111
Assistant Cook

It's just me alone. I'm in college, and I spend about $50 per week. I think that may be a bit much.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:03 AM   #112
Assistant Cook

There is 3 of us and I try to keep our grocery bill under $100 a week. It helps that once a year we buy half a beef & have it processed. I only need to buy Chicken & Pork at the supermarket when we run out, but I tend to buy extra if I see it on sale.

Old 08-20-2010, 09:48 PM   #113
Assistant Cook

It's just two of us. When I lost my job we set a $50 weekly budget for food. It was hard at first but I learned to work around that. I still try to keep with it. I usually never go over $60 a week.
Old 08-21-2010, 12:14 PM   #114
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiffy1 View Post
It's just two of us. When I lost my job we set a $50 weekly budget for food. It was hard at first but I learned to work around that. I still try to keep with it. I usually never go over $60 a week.
Any tips for the others of us out of work Tiffy?
Old 08-21-2010, 12:24 PM   #115
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Any tips for the others of us out of work Tiffy?
Well, I used to just grocery shop to shop and that would lead me to a huge bill. That was the first thing I had to remedy. I sit down on Saturday and I make my list of what I want to cook for the upcoming week. Dinner is mainly what I have to focus. So I plan what I want to cook and stick to that exact list. I try to buy meat/poultry in bulk when I catch it on sale since that's always the most expensive item. Sometimes I even have to go to multiple grocery stores because someone else might have 1 or 2 things for really cheap. I try to stick to dinner that have minimal ingredients yet are easy to spice up with stuff I may already have.
Old 08-21-2010, 04:07 PM   #116
Sous Chef

Yep that's what I'm doing. Sounds like we're on the same page.
I'll be so glad when the job market opens up again.
Old 08-21-2010, 07:41 PM   #117
Assistant Cook

$100 is totally normal budget in my opinion.
Old 09-08-2010, 03:06 AM   #118
Assistant Cook

A couple of weeks ago I was down to collecting the spare change in the house to make it another week to payday. I managed to scrounge up $15. With that, I bought $5 worth of gas to get to work for the week; the remaining $10 I used for food for a week. Yes, it was a lean and somewhat uninteresting week, but it set me on the path to cut my expenses by being aware of what I spent. I took a good hard look at how I had spent my money for the past two months and realized it was crazy out-of-hand.

So that day I bought a loaf of bread at the bakery outlet for 79 cents. For a few days I had tuna salad or pimento cheese or chicken salad sandwiches and fruit.

Payday came and I spent $145 on groceries to last a month. That included buying family packs of things like ground beef, pork chops, etc. and dividing them into individual servings to freeze. I also got a couple of roasts and a whole chicken, a pound of sausage and a package of pepperoni. Then there was bread, cheeses and fresh produce.

I take my lunch every day and cook from scratch. I find a lot more satisfaction in making a wonderful homemade large pizza for $2.50 that makes two or three meals for me than I do in eating out (not just because our restaurant choices are so limited here.)

This stash has already lasted me two weeks and basically I've used mostly the ground beef. I make large casseroles that I can make several meals from - cook once, eat many times. I keep a couple of those going at a time, freezing some of the leftovers so I can trade off and not get sick of eating the same thing.

I easily have enough food in my freezer to go at least another two weeks -- probably longer.

It's all a trade-off. You have to decide if money is scarce enough to make a plan to spend less, or if eating lobster brings you enough pleasure to make the cost worth it. For me, well, lobster is nice, but it doesn't bring me an amount of satisfaction that is worth the extra cost. I'd personally rather make a great pizza, eat some wonderful fresh fruit and maybe bake some cookies, and stop running out of money before payday. That's speaking only for my budget; I don't have any argument with anyone who chooses to budget their money differently. For me, I find satisfaction in the creative use of what I have on hand, and coming up with as many ways as possible of using the same basic ingredients in completely different ways. (Ground beef has gone in a casserole, a spaghetti sauce, pizza and finally tonight sloppy joes, as well as just plain cheeseburgers. All that from an $8 package of family pack ground chuck.)
Old 09-12-2010, 12:14 PM   #119
Senior Cook

Ideally, if it was just my daughter and me, we would spend about 70 a week on food. This does not include household chemicals for cleaning, neither does it include girly requirements, like hair care stuff, soaps etc: of which one could easily spend double. If ya getta my meaning.
Old 09-21-2010, 02:59 PM   #120
Sous Chef

It's me, my husband, and my 1-year-old who, believe it or not, often eats as much as I do. We typically keep it under 185 a month for food, toiletries, cleaning supplies, make-up, TP, etc, the whole shebang. Unfortunately that doesn't always include the stops at 7-11 when my husband forgets his lunch, but he's working on that. :) It does include a $15 splurge fund for each of us if I want to eat at work or he wants to buy something special... We usually use towels and cloth napkins, and storage containers instead of paper towels, napkins, and plastic bags. We keep napkins on hand for guests and use plastic bags to freeze meat, but that's it. I'd say about 75% of what I buy is on sale & I have a coupon for it. Most of the grocery stores around here double coupons under a dollar, so that helps too. We buy a couple things a month at Costco and buy almost everything else on sale. It's a lot of work clipping 2 sunday papers' coupons a week, organizing them, remembering them when I look at the flyers, and going to multiple grocery stores/ drug stores, but I get to do most of that at home instead of working an extra shift every week & spending more time away from my family. Also, since I started forcing myself to slow down and pay attention while I eat, I've stopped grazing and started eating half as much at meals because I actually know when I'm full. That helped the food bill as well as my waistline. Now if only I could get DH to do the same...

Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote