"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-07-2010, 08:22 AM   #121
Assistant Cook

I'll just chime in here with, there are 5 of us, and the grocery/diaper/pullup budget is 260$ every 2 weeks. It was very rough the first couple of weeks that we moved here and had no food at all, but I finally got a stockpile built up.

I shop the discount meats (expire within 2 or so days) and drop them in the deep freeze. I make everything from scratch because its cheaper to buy the ingredients and I can make 5 or 6 times the amount as buying cans. I use coupons where I can. It has definitly been time consuming, but well worth the effort to see money in the bank at the end of the pay period as opposed to a big goose egg haha. Also, we are on WIC since my three children are aged 4, 3, and 18 months. And that has been a huge help.

Also, we don't have to waste money driving store to store, since were on such a small base, and the nearest grocery store is 21 miles away, we make do from the Commissary and NEX. Its been compromises since we moved, but again well worth it for my kids to have more quality time with their mom and home cooked meals every day. The only splurge I would say I make is baking. My kids and I bake together 4 times a week, but that hasn't even been a huge problem, since I stockpiled basic ingredients like butter, brown/granulated sugar, and baking soda.

Old 03-23-2011, 08:50 PM   #122
Chef Extraordinaire

I wish we had an aldi here. The closest one is 4 hours east. Here we have 2 adults & a twelve year old & go through about $150. week including paper products.

Old 04-01-2011, 04:06 AM   #123
Head Chef

I honestly can't say- I don't track it very well. Much of the stuff I get comes from Sam's Club, great prices but large amounts. My problem is that I'll get an urge to make a certain recipe and just run off to buy whatever I need to make it. Occupational hazard of having spent a couple decades as a chef!
Old 04-01-2011, 04:24 AM   #124
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to garlicjosh
mine has roughly been 150 every two weeks. This next time is going to be a little more because I need to restock a lot of spices finally and I've ran out of a lot of a lot of stuff.
Old 04-01-2011, 05:28 AM   #125
Master Chef

I am single and keep my weekly budget at $35.00 except for a few holiday splurges. This includes all food and non-food items. I am not sure how much longer I can do it though as prices in my area have been moving up rapidly in the last few weeks. I am lucky to live within three miles of three major chain stores and two no frills stores. They constantly strive to attract new customers with sales and promotions that are a big benefit to me. Elimination of waste, scratch cooking, and using very few convenience foods are the biggest things I have done to reduce costs. I also use the 80/20 rule when shopping. I try to get all the basics for the week on 80% of my budget and keep 20% aside for great deals on discounted items. Also, in the spirit of full disclosure, this does not include booze. That comes out of my personal allowance or pin money as Aunt Bea likes to say.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:20 PM   #126
Chef Extraordinaire

my limit has stayed the same $300 a month. that is all food, paper and pet products. the amount maybe the same but i get less and less product as time goes on. no pay raise for three years. bummer!
Old 04-01-2011, 07:56 PM   #127
Head Chef

I try to keep our total expenses at $300 every two weeks. Gas and groceries eats up all of it and we usually end up going over. Groceries are just SO much more expensive than they were 3 years ago. Even planning meals, I spend about $30 - $50 dollars more than 3 years ago. And we ate BETTER back then.

I am in Canada though.. things are so expensive here.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:27 PM   #128
Chef Extraordinaire

I am shocked how much the prices in Ontario have gone up for:

chicken
flour
rice
Old 04-01-2011, 08:32 PM   #129
Head Chef

And milk, and fruits and vegetables. And the sales always STINK!
Old 04-01-2011, 08:35 PM   #130
Chef Extraordinaire

Not to mention cheese!