"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-06-2011, 12:00 PM   #151
Head Chef
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2,117
CWS--we cook and shop a lot alike, though, I think you have more energy than I do. I make breads on and off, just depends on the day.

We picked up 20 lbs of rice for less than $0.50/lb. I made a big batch and then the next day made pork fried rice, with onions, multi-colored peppers, peas, carrots, garlic, ginger, and soy sauce. We have some left over and it might last through today.

I'll make some chicken fried rice with the rest of the plain rice and freeze the leftovers for another day.
__________________

__________________
blissful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2011, 05:48 PM   #152
Head Chef
 
Saphellae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Kingston, Ontario
Posts: 1,611
I am hesitant to scoot over the border, even though we are very close to a crossing. We're just two people - how much cheaper will it be to stock up, when you factor in gas and time?
I would so love a massive producing garden.. :(
__________________

__________________
Saphellae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 03:20 AM   #153
Executive Chef
 
Bolas De Fraile's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 3,193
This is an interesting site that gives the global cost of living index for major cities http://www.xpatulator.com scroll down the box on the right to find your nearest city.
Ps petrol is 1.32 a litre in the UK
__________________
I was married by a judge, I should have asked for a jury.
Bolas De Fraile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 11:06 AM   #154
Chef Extraordinaire
 
CWS4322's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Rural Ottawa, Ontario
Posts: 12,318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Saphellae View Post
I am hesitant to scoot over the border, even though we are very close to a crossing. We're just two people - how much cheaper will it be to stock up, when you factor in gas and time?
I would so love a massive producing garden.. :(
There are definitely things that are MUCH cheaper in the US--dairy (not cheese--but milk, ricotta, cottage cheese, sour cream, buttermilk) and eggs (often 89 cents/dozen). Chicken, turkey. Other things are not--potatoes, paper products. Of course, the Canadian government knows that those things that have "control boards" (like milk, eggs, and poultry) are cheaper and has limits on how much of those each person can bring back. The Price Chopper in Ogdensburg has a loyalty points program. For every XX you spend on groceries, you get a per gallon discount at a local gas station (up to 20 gallons) so filling before returning and using the loyalty points offsets the cost of the gas. But, you also need to take the bridge fee into account if you have to cross a bridge.
__________________
CWS4322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2011, 11:15 PM   #155
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Just a question for canadians..... why is canadian bacon called canadian bacon ?
Why ask us, we don't call it Canadian bacon, you guys do. We call it back bacon or pea meal bacon.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:38 AM   #156
Chef Extraordinaire
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 10,524
Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Why ask us, we don't call it Canadian bacon, you guys do. We call it back bacon or pea meal bacon.
Just wondering. I do not know much about Canada. I find it to be interesting & would like to know more about it: Food favorites, currency, & different dialect.
__________________
simonbaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 09:47 AM   #157
Assistant Cook
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Thailand
Posts: 12
oh ok, let me think 2000 Bath ($60) for 2 weeks for just 2.
__________________
kadirecipes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:04 PM   #158
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
There are definitely things that are MUCH cheaper in the US--dairy (not cheese--but milk, ricotta, cottage cheese, sour cream, buttermilk) and eggs (often 89 cents/dozen). Chicken, turkey. Other things are not--potatoes, paper products. Of course, the Canadian government knows that those things that have "control boards" (like milk, eggs, and poultry) are cheaper and has limits on how much of those each person can bring back. The Price Chopper in Ogdensburg has a loyalty points program. For every XX you spend on groceries, you get a per gallon discount at a local gas station (up to 20 gallons) so filling before returning and using the loyalty points offsets the cost of the gas. But, you also need to take the bridge fee into account if you have to cross a bridge.
No cows in Canada are allowed to be given growth hormones, so you won't find it in Canadian milk. In the U.S. it varies by brand and possible by state.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 02:20 PM   #159
Chef Extraordinaire
 
taxlady's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: near Montreal, Quebec, Canada
Posts: 18,884
Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by simonbaker View Post
Just wondering. I do not know much about Canada. I find it to be interesting & would like to know more about it: Food favorites, currency, & different dialect.
Okay, but maybe we should start a thread for that. There are a number of Canadians on this board.

Food favourites, just like in the U.S., tend to be regional. We have most of the same fast food chains as you guys. We also have Tim Horton's and Harvey's, which are Canadian.

Currency: We use Canadian dollars. It's usually worth a bit less than the U.S. dollar, but is currently worth more. We have a $1 coin that we call a loonie and a $2 coin that we call a toonie. We don't have paper ones or twos any more.
we don't much use the $0.50 piece

Our paper money comes in colours by denomination, like in Europe, but it's all the same size, like in the U.S. It's about the same size as U.S. paper money.


Our English is more like U.S. English, than like British English. Again, there are regional variations. We spell in a hybrid of U.S. and British. E.g., colour, aluminium, but tire (not tyre) and some more that I can't think of.
__________________
May you live as long as you wish and love as long as you live.
Robert A. Heinlein
taxlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2011, 04:21 PM   #160
Chef Extraordinaire
 
pacanis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: NW PA
Posts: 18,751
Land of the silver birch, home of the beaver... where still the mighty moose wanders at will, blue lake and rocky shore, I will return once more...
__________________

__________________
Give us this day our daily bacon.
pacanis is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:24 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.