"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 08-25-2011, 08:36 PM   #171
Executive Chef

until the recent spike in grocery prices my food bill was running about $250 per month. it is now $70 week--$300 per month. this is despite using coupons more than ever before, and sticking strictly to my carefully written shopping lists. what are other people doing to keep costs down? i'm hoping the food saver i'm buying will be a help. i know this sounds nuts, but i have never been inside a walmart. are their food prices much lower than supermarkets like harris teeter?

Old 08-25-2011, 09:38 PM   #172
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Harris Teeter is one of the higher priced grocery stores out there.

Since I don't buy a lot of processed junk, I don't find WalMart to be any cheaper for me. The items that I buy are pretty much the same price at WalMart as they are just about everywhere else. I was looking at some boneless skinless chicken at Walmart, it was at and everyday price of like $1.97 per pound, it looked really bad then I read the package and saw that it was injected with lots of stuff that isn't usually in chicken. They also do not have meat cutters at Walmart, all of their meat comes in prepackaged and a guy in a white jacket puts it out, LOL. There might be some bargains to be found there but you really need to know what the prices of things should be to get them.

I know what the prices (unit prices) are of most things I buy, so I can easily tell when something is a good deal.

Harris Teeter has gotten their staple items priced right over the last year, the only things I find there that are very overpriced are deli-bakery, and specialty and gourmet items.

Once you get your food saver, keep an eye on ads and get meats when they are a really good deal, and fill your freezer. I haven't paid more that $2 lb. for boneless skinless chicken or pork loin in years. I am a strategic shopper, I have a pantry and freezer full of good quality foods that I get at great prices.

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 10:38 PM   #173
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Harris Teeter is one of the higher priced grocery stores out there.

Since I don't buy a lot of processed junk, I don't find WalMart to be any cheaper for me. The items that I buy are pretty much the same price at WalMart as they are just about everywhere else. I was looking at some boneless skinless chicken at Walmart, it was at and everyday price of like $1.97 per pound, it looked really bad then I read the package and saw that it was injected with lots of stuff that isn't usually in chicken. They also do not have meat cutters at Walmart, all of their meat comes in prepackaged and a guy in a white jacket puts it out, LOL. There might be some bargains to be found there but you really need to know what the prices of things should be to get them.

I know what the prices (unit prices) are of most things I buy, so I can easily tell when something is a good deal.

Harris Teeter has gotten their staple items priced right over the last year, the only things I find there that are very overpriced are deli-bakery, and specialty and gourmet items.

Once you get your food saver, keep an eye on ads and get meats when they are a really good deal, and fill your freezer. I haven't paid more that $2 lb. for boneless skinless chicken or pork loin in years. I am a strategic shopper, I have a pantry and freezer full of good quality foods that I get at great prices.
thank you for all your helpful information. it's good to know that i need not start shopping at walmart. i buy and consume very little processed food,, and virtually no junk food either. but prices on staple foods have gone up--bread, eggs, milk, cheese--so it's getting harder to finesse that bottom line. i am very savvy about food prices and can easily spot deals wherever i am shopping. however, my savings dollars usually go straight for that french baguette, specialty cheeses, veal chops, etc.--but that i can live with. in fact, that's what i live for--after all, i am a foodie.... :)
Old 08-25-2011, 11:00 PM   #174
Executive Chef

You might want to look at bread, eggs, milk, and cheese at Walmart. Also, paper towels and t.p. Prices are quite a bit cheaper for those. Also, flour, sugar, etc.
Old 08-25-2011, 11:07 PM   #175
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

On my last trip through walmart, I didn't see a big difference in those items, maybe it's regional.

I do shop at Aldi a couple times a month for baking supplies, cheese etc. They have great prices on those, especially during the holidays.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:12 PM   #176
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Paper products, cleaning products, and health and beauty are almost always a bad deal in a grocery store, much better off going to Walmart, Target or a club store for those.

Old 08-25-2011, 11:14 PM   #177
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef
Paper products, cleaning products, and health and beauty are almost always a bad deal in a grocery store, much better off going to Walmart, Target or a club store for those.
I second that babe!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:15 PM   #178
Executive Chef

Oops. I mean bakechef!
Old 08-25-2011, 11:17 PM   #179
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

LOL!

Old 08-26-2011, 12:01 AM   #180
Executive Chef

does anybody make and freeze their own "cold cuts"? i never have, myself, but i think when i get my food saver, i'd like to try slicing and freezing my own ham, pork, turkey breast, and beef for sandwiches, salads, etc. would that work?