"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 08-26-2011, 12:04 AM   #181
Chef Extraordinaire

if you ever sneak into the back of a walmart, there's dozens of little malnourished, dirty asian kids slicing and packaging everything...

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2011, 03:32 AM   #182
Master Chef

Everything in this area has gone up 20 to 25 cents per item in the last few weeks. I am still holding the line on my weekly budget of $35.00 by using more basic frozen vegetables and by shopping the local farmers market. I have also been using less meat and almost no beef. I also shop the "dead bread" store near my home for 100% whole wheat bread at $1.19/loaf. The other day I bought a half peck bag of early apples from a farm stand for $5.00 and was shocked. The more I thought about it though I began to realize that I had never been shocked at the price of a bag of cookies or a cake from the bakery so I should not be shocked at the price of some real food, farmers gotta live too. It is what it is, one foot in front of the other!

Old 08-26-2011, 11:12 AM   #183
Head Chef

The other day I bought some fresh peaches at Walmart for a cobbler - happened to be there for (oh joy) a box of septic tank treatment and some light bulbs. I was surprised to find the peaches at $1.25/lb. as opposed to Publix's $1.79/lb "on sale." They were very good. Also got a large, fresh bunch of cilantro for $.79. All their produce looked fresh and unblemished and merits another look, I think. I haven't looked in the meat department, and don't buy much if any processed, so I can't vouch for those prices or quality.

I used to shop at Harris-Teeter when I lived in another state, and liked their store brand -- nearly always as good as the big brands. Down here, I don't have H-T or Aldi's, which was good for basics - some of their brands turned out to be perfectly good, too. Around the holidays, they carried some well-priced, tasty chocolates.

Bucky, !!
Old 08-26-2011, 03:00 PM   #184
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
What is your usual budget you try to stick to for a weeks worth of groceries or two weeks worth?

I am currently just shopping for my daughter and I and it seems lately I am hitting about a hundred a week (with coupns!) and I cringe each time! Is this a normal amount? Or is this the change in grocery prices??

So what amount do you TRY to stay under whith you trip to the store?
I "try" to stay under $100. There's no one home now but me, my daugher, and my husband and I still end up spending at $100. But I know alot of that is fresh fruits and veggies. The price of them is outrageous here.

Would anybody believe that a gallon of Barbers milk has went up to over $6 here. When I saw that I darn near dropped in the floor. Shoot, a pack of Oreos is almost $4.
Old 08-28-2011, 11:14 PM   #185
Master Chef

Under $100 a week? You must be related to my mom. I do see that you live in the south. In most of the states I've lived in, I could feed myself, for that, but not my husband and certainly not my parents & family.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:00 AM   #186
Assistant Cook

We don't eat out at the moment. We use vouchers etc. to try and cut back wherever we can on food products.
Old 08-29-2011, 09:38 AM   #187
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post
Under $100 a week? You must be related to my mom. I do see that you live in the south. In most of the states I've lived in, I could feed myself, for that, but not my husband and certainly not my parents & family.
i'm feeding two in our family. meat used to comprise at least half my food bill. today, that has shrunk to 1/10 or so. and i'm still a meat lover, but the days of a one lb. prime rib on my plate or a cold pork chop in each hand are gone. there are many meatless days in my life these days. i eat more fruits and vegetables but they can be terribly expensive too! i'm constantly looking for new ways to save money at the supermarket. this forum has become my best source of information for most of my food questions.
Old 08-29-2011, 10:49 AM   #188
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Claire View Post

I can remember when $100 would get you a cart full of groceries. Now, I fill up one of those little "quick carts" and can easily spend over $100.00.

I hear how much more expensive things are in the cities...I wouldn't make it, lol.
Old 08-29-2011, 12:30 PM   #189
Chef Extraordinaire

lol, nikki. those carts are supposed to be for kids to pretend shop alongside mom or dad!

doesn't your back get tired?

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #190
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
lol, nikki. those carts are supposed to be for kids to pretend shop alongside mom or dad!

doesn't your back get tired?

LOLOL, Just the image of that in my head, I almost spained my spleen laughing at that!! (silly)LOLOL