"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 03-18-2012, 08:03 AM   #211
Head Chef

Those smaller-version carts are nice - easy to get stuff out of. The local grocery used to have about 10 of them along with the big carts. Then one day I couldn't find one - the clerk said they disappeared -- people apparently just take them home and the store wasn't going to replace them.

Old 03-18-2012, 08:11 AM   #212
Chef Extraordinaire

I am limited to how much I can spend. I receive $168 in food stamps. And that is for one person for the month. I have a grocery list in my computer. I go over it about two days before I head out the door to shop. There are some items I never remove. Like sugar, milk, etc. I buy these whether I need them or not. Right now I have three five pound bags of sugar and two large canisters of coffee. I will have to remember to remove them. At the end of shopping I usually have about $75 dollars left to get through the rest of the month. And I usually only use half of that. So the next month I have even more money. Son #1 has my EBT card and if he runs out of his food stamps, he will use mine. And I an fine with that. With all that he does for me, I have no complaint if he needs something I can give him.

When I am baking, I spend more. Right now I am just cooking for myself. When summer comes I will be making potato salad and other dishes for my daughter for her pool parties in the back yard. So I will be spending more. Right now I buy three or four potatoes. For her parties, I will be buying a five pound bag. My spending goes up in the summer and around holidays.

Old 03-18-2012, 11:50 AM   #213
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

The only budgeting I do is for my lunches, $25. I make sure I spend less than $5 a day for my bag lunches. If I save enough, I can order out for lunch and spend a little more every other week.

I have a full freezer of meat and a well stocked pantry. I buy canned goods at Costco once a month and spend about $200 dollars on that. Fresh produce is bought on an as needed basis.

Working it all out, I think we spend about $120 a week on groceries.
Old 03-19-2012, 03:19 AM   #214
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zereh View Post
The kiddie-carts are just shrunken versions of regular carts.

There are adult-height half-carts available at several stores.

apparently, they have smaller carts for buying a sense of humour.

i owed bea for that one. she's busted my chops (on occasion) with extreme prejudice.

as you know, love ya bea.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2012, 07:10 PM   #215
Chef Extraordinaire

Since the beginning of March, I've spent $25 on groceries, about $7 of which was for dish washer detergent (mostly dairy and meat). I tried making my own dish washer detergent but didn't like the results. I do make my own laundry detergent--have been for about 18 months and am very happy with that.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:14 PM   #216
Chef Extraordinaire

$50.00 per week about covers it for the 3 of us.
Old 06-06-2012, 09:02 PM   #217
Senior Cook

Just my Mom and I, and it's only around 250$ a month for food, 60$ for extra's, and dog stuff (food and nail cut every 2 weeks) is around 75$
Old 06-07-2012, 09:46 PM   #218
Chef Extraordinaire

Out of my $168 a month in food stamps. I buy two very large boxes of cereal and a two pound bag of rice for our local food bank at the church. I allot $10 for the food bank. Those three items alone eat up eight dollars. I may have to increase the alloted amount in a month or two. I started out with alotting five dollars. That lasted about one year. Then it started to creep up.

The reason for the cereal is that I want to make sure some children will have a breakfast in their tummies before they head out the door to school. And the rice is so that a family will have at least one staple that will feed the whole family for more than one meal.
Old 06-07-2012, 09:50 PM   #219
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Out of my $168 a month in food stamps. I buy two very large boxes of cereal and a two pound bag of rice for our local food bank at the church. I allot $10 for the food bank. Those three items alone eat up eight dollars. I may have to increase the alloted amount in a month or two. I started out with alotting five dollars. That lasted about one year. Then it started to creep up.

The reason for the cereal is that I want to make sure some children will have a breakfast in their tummies before they head out the door to school. And the rice is so that a family will have at least one staple that will feed the whole family for more than one meal.
This made my heart melt
Old 06-08-2012, 07:33 AM   #220
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie

This made me smile... You are doing something AMAZING for these children. And Im sure they all greatly appreciate it. We need more people like you in the world.