"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 06-12-2012, 10:07 PM   #221
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
Out of my $168 a month in food stamps. I buy two very large boxes of cereal and a two pound bag of rice for our local food bank at the church. I allot $10 for the food bank. Those three items alone eat up eight dollars. I may have to increase the alloted amount in a month or two. I started out with alotting five dollars. That lasted about one year. Then it started to creep up.

The reason for the cereal is that I want to make sure some children will have a breakfast in their tummies before they head out the door to school. And the rice is so that a family will have at least one staple that will feed the whole family for more than one meal.
Addie, you've inspired me! I have always made random donations to the food bank when there were pantry items not being used. Now I am putting a box in the bottom of my pantry and am going to pick up non-perishable foods every week to put in it. I will make a run once a month to the food bank with my loot. I am committing $5 per week and will make it a challenge to see how far I can make that $5 go. Being a savvy shopper, I should be able to make that money count!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 10:16 PM   #222
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
This made me smile... You are doing something AMAZING for these children. And Im sure they all greatly appreciate it. We need more people like you in the world.
Become one of those people. Don't just admire others who do it, do it yourself if you believe that is a good cause.

Old 06-12-2012, 10:18 PM   #223
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakechef View Post
Addie, you've inspired me! I have always made random donations to the food bank when there were pantry items not being used. Now I am putting a box in the bottom of my pantry and am going to pick up non-perishable foods every week to put in it. I will make a run once a month to the food bank with my loot. I am committing $5 per week and will make it a challenge to see how far I can make that $5 go. Being a savvy shopper, I should be able to make that money count!
People who use the food bank also need stuff like toothpaste, toilet paper, bleach, dish soap. I drop one of something that is on special that I buy when I go by the food bank bin at my local grocery store. Can you not do the same folks?
Old 06-12-2012, 10:34 PM   #224
Chef Extraordinaire

Keep in mind that most of the folks who need to use the food bank have children. Buy house brand cereals so that the kids will have at least one meal a day. I get the largest box with the most weight for only $2.00 each. A couple of times, the woman who runs it asked me to contribute peanut butter. The main food bank in town had not sent them any. Another food for the kids. And adults can eat it also. I bought four small jars. I also got four very large house brand loaves of bread. For more families. A bag of rice is always a good buy. It can provide enough carb for more than one meal for the whole family. Also ask the people at the food bank if there is any item they need that they don't have enough of. Jars of jelly to go with the bread and PB. I try to feed the kids first. All house brands.

I can't stand the thought of a child going hungry. Because of the rising prices at the supermarket, I am going to up my donation to $10 dollars a month in food.

I am very blessed. I have a home that includes all my utilities, emergency care if I need it, and a bunch of other extras. And all for only $221.00 a month in rent. I have more than enough left over to pay my bills, and I also get $168.00 a month in food stamps. I receive complete free medical care. I know I will never go hungry or become homeless. It is my way of thanking God for his blessing. Life doesn't get any better.
Old 06-13-2012, 02:46 AM   #225
Chef Extraordinaire

a story where the good guys come out on top is always the best addie. you have earned and certainly deserve what you have.

we do food and toiletries collections a few times a year with the scouts. and another one at christmastime to include toys. i have some stored away for this year already.
Um diddle diddle diddle um diddle ay
buckytom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:01 AM   #226
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckytom View Post
a story where the good guys come out on top is always the best addie. you have earned and certainly deserve what you have.

we do food and toiletries collections a few times a year with the scouts. and another one at christmastime to include toys. i have some stored away for this year already.
+1
Old 06-13-2012, 07:03 AM   #227
Executive Chef

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CWS4322 View Post
People who use the food bank also need stuff like toothpaste, toilet paper, bleach, dish soap. I drop one of something that is on special that I buy when I go by the food bank bin at my local grocery store. Can you not do the same folks?
I just looked on our food bank website, and personal care items were listed, so I'll keep an eye out for those too! Thanks for the heads up!

http://bakingbetter.com
bakechef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2012, 07:04 AM   #228
Chef Extraordinaire

People who rely on the food bank come from all walks of life. I know a lot of single people who don't have a support network who have had to turn to the food bank to get by during tough times. Pet food is another thing--people do want to keep their pets, but if they can't afford food for themselves, feeding their pets can also be a problem.
Old 06-13-2012, 07:47 AM   #229
Executive Chef

Max of:
$30 per pound for small ( < 3.5 lbs) quantities of prime beef
$20 per pound for large ( > 5 lbs) quantities of prime beef
$25 per pound for cheese
$15 per pound for fish
$ 5 per pound for vegetables
$ 5 per dozen for eggs
$ 5 per pound for butter
$ 1 per pound for rice
$35 per litre for hooch
Old 06-13-2012, 12:08 PM   #230
Assistant Cook

Wink only two here

It is only my husband and I, we are as they say empty nester's. I spend about 75.00 a week, and like everyone else seems to do, I shop at Aldis. I shop my chain supermarket ( Shop rite here in NY) for their sale items only. Once every few months we make a trip to the local butcher shop and buy a meat bundle, and bring it home and break it down into meal portions, for two or three. I have also cut costs, by making my own, pasta sauce, mayo, peanut butter, vinaigrettes, my next project is going to make my own barbecue sauce. I stock up on the ingredients needed make them,when they are on sale, so I can make it almost anytime. Keeping stocked on dry foods and the regular staples also helps, that way you wont run out,and then you also wont end up running to the store and buying a half dozen things you really do not need.