"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 03-10-2016, 03:39 AM   #271
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Capt Lightning View Post
...There are a number of 'budget' stores such as Aldi & Lidl and we do quite a lot of our shopping there. Always a like a bargain!
We have Aldi on this side of the pond, too! I used to shop there rather regularly when we lived in Ohio. They had opened a store about two miles from our home in the late 1980s and I was a Girl Scout leader. Great place to pick up Scout meeting treats, or to stock up on items when we would do overnight camp trips. Then we moved to Massachusetts in 2000, and no Aldi in sight. By the time they started moving into the area about (maybe) eight years ago, I could not believe how much the quality of their products had improved.

Himself and I just ran into one today to get a container of mixed nuts...and came out with about 6-8 other things. It's nowhere near as close as my favorite, regular grocery store, but I might get back in the groove of shopping there. The prices are definitely better, and now that Himself is retired and no longer pulling in the "big bucks" I need to shop smarter. Plus, I noticed they now take credit cards. We use our Discover card for everything to earn the cash-back bonus points, then pay the bill off in total each month so as to not pay interest.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:27 AM   #272
Assistant Cook

I try to stay around $250 a month, which I guess kinda works out to ~$60/week. We don't really see it like that though. I put together a menu at the beginning of each month and buy all the dry and canned good items at the beginning of the month and then just buy veggies and fruits the week of the meal.

If there happens to be money left in the budget towards the end of the month we get some filet mignon or something else that's a little more expensive...if there isn't then its bean bean beans.

Old 03-10-2016, 07:36 AM   #273
Executive Chef

Just a reminder from the first page. Are you including non food items in your weekly budget?
Old 03-10-2016, 08:35 AM   #274
Assistant Cook

I am...sort of. My budget is for grocery stores in general. Whether I buy paper products with that $250 or not though it doesn't change (and we get non-perishables at BJ's). Last month for example, we ran out of soaps and paper goods etc all at once so there was A LOT of beans haha
Old 03-10-2016, 09:13 AM   #275
Assistant Cook

We shop at a number of stores, usually once a fortnight. Living in a fairly remote village, the nearest town with large stores is 14 miles away. Maybe not far in American terms, but a fair distance in the UK.

Working out the amount we spend is a bit tricky because it is divided between a number of shops and some things are only bought occasionally. Fresh food such as beef & lamb are bought from the butcher, not supermarket, and as we live near the sea, fish is from the fishmonger. We raise our own pigs and sometimes obtain a deer or a few pheasants. Difficult to work out their exact cost as often they are in return for a favour.

So, let's say 125 a week - currently about $175 - not counting wine & beer.
Old 03-10-2016, 09:43 AM   #276
Assistant Cook

I need to find a butcher near me - over the last year or so I've gone from buying everything pre-made to buying raw ingredients and the transformation would feel complete if I bought meat from a real butcher rather than a grocery.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:12 PM   #277
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSoups View Post
I need to find a butcher near me - over the last year or so I've gone from buying everything pre-made to buying raw ingredients and the transformation would feel complete if I bought meat from a real butcher rather than a grocery.
Some grocery stores have real butchers.
Old 03-10-2016, 01:27 PM   #278
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSoups View Post
We have such a fella within distance from my home, so that I can go there on my scooter. I used to go there on a regular basis. But lately his prices have become just too high. The quality is still good, but now I get all my meats at Market Basket. Any special cuts or requests the back room is happy to fill. I am quite happy with what I can buy and the prices. I make sure I check the flyer before I leave the house.
Old 03-30-2016, 02:18 PM   #279
Executive Chef

Cooking Goddess, I shop Aldi's regularly, but there are certain things I will buy there and some not. We have tried some things that we didn't like. We have 2 Aldi's within 5 miles of us. One has lower prices than the other but it's out of the way. As far as I know, ours don't take credit cards but they might have changed it.

I know a few people who charge everything in order to get the cash back. My son's inlaws spend winters in AZ. They use credit cards for everything, and fly back and forth with the travel miles they earn.
Old 03-30-2016, 04:07 PM   #280
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolPa View Post
...I know a few people who charge everything in order to get the cash back. My son's inlaws spend winters in AZ. They use credit cards for everything, and fly back and forth with the travel miles they earn.
I doesn't cost extra to use a credit card for everything so you can get points or miles for future purchases. When SO was working full time, she got lots of points that paid for tickets to Aruba and car rentals.