"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 03-30-2016, 04:48 PM   #281
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSoups View Post
I need to find a butcher near me - over the last year or so I've gone from buying everything pre-made to buying raw ingredients and the transformation would feel complete if I bought meat from a real butcher rather than a grocery.
They are hard to find nowadays. Most real butchers you will find in the back room of your local supermarket. If you can find out the name of the manager of the back room and ask for him or her by name, they would feel really special knowing that someone really wanted their skills and knowledge.

Old 03-31-2016, 08:27 AM   #282
Assistant Cook

We have plenty of fishmongers, butchers, bakers - and even a candle maker. What we don't have is any greengrocers. We grow as much as we can, but generally we have to go to supermarkets buy vegetables (mostly tasteless).

Old 03-31-2016, 09:50 AM   #283
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I doesn't cost extra to use a credit card for everything so you can get points or miles for future purchases. When SO was working full time, she got lots of points that paid for tickets to Aruba and car rentals.
I do the same thing. I pay for all my gas and groceries with American Express because the particular card I have gives me double points for doing so. And let's face it - gas and groceries are necessities I buy every week, so those are easily earned points. I just pay the card off in full every month. Those points have paid for a few vacations over the years.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:32 AM   #284
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie H View Post
When Buck was alive, we spent $95 per week, which included pet foods/supplies, too. Now I spend significantly less, mostly because I have no appetite and eat just to "fill the hole." It takes me over a month to finish a 12-ounce bag of potato chips.

Like Maverick, I shop at Aldi. Also, take advantage of specials and am a coupon hound.
I LOVE Aldi! There is still a degree of snobbery in the UK about using the store but they have some very good stuff. Despite the lower prices much of their food stuffs are very good quality, eg own brand mayo which I'd swear is Hellman's under Aldi's name and excellent quality fruit and veg. They stock several varieties of Indian and China teas (bear with me, I'm English ) plus herbal teas and also a good range, reasonably priced, of ground coffee. The only problem is the general goods aisles in between the food aisles! I rarely escape without a new pair of amazingly good quality but inexpensive jodhpurs or some knitting yarn, kitchen equipment or a book (sigh!)
Old 03-31-2016, 10:55 AM   #285
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mad Cook View Post
I LOVE Aldi! There is still a degree of snobbery in the UK about using the store but they have some very good stuff. Despite the lower prices much of their food stuffs are very good quality, eg own brand mayo which I'd swear is Hellman's under Aldi's name and excellent quality fruit and veg. They stock several varieties of Indian and China teas (bear with me, I'm English ) plus herbal teas and also a good range, reasonably priced, of ground coffee. The only problem is the general goods aisles in between the food aisles! I rarely escape without a new pair of amazingly good quality but inexpensive jodhpurs or some knitting yarn, kitchen equipment or a book (sigh!)
I think we all do some impulse buying every so often.
Old 03-31-2016, 10:59 AM   #286
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
I do the same thing. I pay for all my gas and groceries with American Express because the particular card I have gives me double points for doing so. And let's face it - gas and groceries are necessities I buy every week, so those are easily earned points. I just pay the card off in full every month. Those points have paid for a few vacations over the years.
Same here, although we use a different card. Since Kroger opened near us, we do most of our grocery and gas shopping there. They also offer discounts on gas based on how many points you accumulate by shopping there.

DH is going to fill up our vehicles and gas containers today for 70 cents off, which will reduce the price to about $1.10 per gallon! :woot:
Old 04-01-2016, 09:05 PM   #287
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy M. View Post
I doesn't cost extra to use a credit card for everything so you can get points or miles for future purchases. When SO was working full time, she got lots of points that paid for tickets to Aruba and car rentals.
We flew Business Class from Los Angeles to Buenos Aires free using credit card miles. Also from Los Angeles to Moscow and back Business Class
Old 04-01-2016, 10:24 PM   #288
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
I make sure I check the flyer before I leave the house.
I do 70% of my shopping based on what's for sale on the flyer for the local mom and pop grocery store. This week, chuck roasts were buy 1, get 1 free. So I bought 4 and vacuum sealed 3 for future use. And we ate one a few days ago. That saves us $15 and there's always at least 3 or 4 proteins to choose from.

Also, cans of veggies were on sale for 40 cents, so I bought like 50 cans. Won't have to buy veggies for 3 months. :)
Old 04-02-2016, 03:05 AM   #289
Master Chef

jd, do you ever shop at Marc's? When we're back home, I make sure to hit Marc's and Aldi's before I head to any of the "real" grocery stores. Manage to get the bulk of my shopping done at those two stores before moving on to the high-priced places.
Old 04-02-2016, 04:06 PM   #290
Senior Cook

I don't mind spending on food because it's just me. I spent under $100. this week. I have enough stuff to make enough Cannelloni for an army and enough to make Jambalaya for an army

There is no such thing as a real butcher nor fish monger where I live. I can't buy short ribs for example because most of their meat comes in pre-packaged and folks down here don't buy bone in. I can't get a good corned beef. I have to order bread that cost an arm and a leg on the internet because all we have here is that soft crap. It's quite frustrating.