"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
 
Old 04-02-2016, 04:52 PM   #291
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I have to order bread that cost an arm and a leg on the internet because all we have here is that soft crap. It's quite frustrating.
Have you tried no-knead (or Dutch oven) bread? I make a rosemary and olive oil bread that gets a lot of compliments, and my daughter thinks that my rye bread is better than a well known local bakery. Nothing like bread that is baked a few hours before eaten.

Jim Lahey is the genius that started the whole thing, and the New York Times article made it popular. There are a bunch of instructional videos on YouTube.
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 05:39 PM   #292
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 408
I looked up Jim Lahey rye bread. I love the holes in it. Good bread should have holes. I think that I could do it. I like my bread very sour. Do you know how to make it more sour? I'd need to add caraway seeds at some point.

I'm paying $9. a loaf plus shipping for Jewish rye from NY. It's good bread but it would be better if it were more sour, and it doesn't have holes. I'd like to try to make better myself.

What do you thing about flour from Bob's Red Mill?
__________________

__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:33 PM   #293
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I looked up Jim Lahey rye bread. I love the holes in it. Good bread should have holes. I think that I could do it. I like my bread very sour. Do you know how to make it more sour? I'd need to add caraway seeds at some point.

I'm paying $9. a loaf plus shipping for Jewish rye from NY. It's good bread but it would be better if it were more sour, and it doesn't have holes. I'd like to try to make better myself.

What do you thing about flour from Bob's Red Mill?
The longer you let the dough ferment in the fridge, the more sour it gets. With the no-knead bread recipe, you can leave it for up to two weeks.

It can be difficult to get rye bread to rise and have big holes because it doesn't have as much gluten as wheat. It should be very tasty, though. I would add the caraway seeds when you first mix the dough.

Another option is to get a bread machine. I use mine to make dough and then bake it in the oven.
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:36 PM   #294
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,883
Here's another source of recipes and information using the no-knead method: http://www.artisanbreadinfive.com
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 06:56 PM   #295
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 408
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The longer you let the dough ferment in the fridge, the more sour it gets. With the no-knead bread recipe, you can leave it for up to two weeks.

It can be difficult to get rye bread to rise and have big holes because it doesn't have as much gluten as wheat. It should be very tasty, though. I would add the caraway seeds when you first mix the dough.

Another option is to get a bread machine. I use mine to make dough and then bake it in the oven.

Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm going to try the no-kneed rye when I get up the guts. I should have known that the lack of gluten in the rye was what made the rye bread devoid of holes. But this guy had lovely beautiful holes in his bread. Just look 02/28/13 € EASY RYE BREAD - THE RECIPE GRINDER.

I don't mind wheat flour as long as the bread comes out tasting lie rye bread. I will keep the dough in the fridge for 2 weeks. I like what most folks would consider to be overly sour bread.
__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 07:47 PM   #296
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 799
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
I'm going to try the no-kneed rye when I get up the guts. I should have known that the lack of gluten in the rye was what made the rye bread devoid of holes.
Takes no guts. It's an idiot proof method (and I am living proof of that!). My rye bread is 2-1/4 cups bread flour and 3/4 cup rye flour. Lots of holes. Caraway seeds (2-3 Tbsp.) are added at the start of the process. You don't need to go to two weeks, just a few days seems to work for me.
__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:08 PM   #297
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Moselle MS
Posts: 408
Thanks for the encouragement. For me making bread takes guts even when the recipe is said to be foolproof. I will try it when I get low on the loves from NY. I still have 2 in the freezer. If if the bread I make sucks I will give up and buy the stuff from NY. Baking scares me to death.
__________________
LizStreithorst is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 08:33 PM   #298
Chef Extraordinaire
 
GotGarlic's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Southeastern Virginia
Posts: 16,883
Quote:
Originally Posted by LizStreithorst View Post
Thank you for the wealth of information. I'm going to try the no-kneed rye when I get up the guts. I should have known that the lack of gluten in the rye was what made the rye bread devoid of holes. But this guy had lovely beautiful holes in his bread. Just look 02/28/13 • EASY RYE BREAD - THE RECIPE GRINDER.

I don't mind wheat flour as long as the bread comes out tasting lie rye bread. I will keep the dough in the fridge for 2 weeks. I like what most folks would consider to be overly sour bread.
You'll have to try it and see how you like it. I made rye with a mixture of flours and my husband wanted more rye flavor, so I switched the ratios. It didn't rise as well, but I made a 1 1/2 pound loaf instead of a 1-pound, so he was happy
__________________
The trouble with eating Italian food is that five or six days later you're hungry again. ~ George Miller
GotGarlic is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2016, 09:29 PM   #299
Senior Cook
 
Join Date: Jan 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 267
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
jd, do you ever shop at Marc's? When we're back home, I make sure to hit Marc's and Aldi's before I head to any of the "real" grocery stores. Manage to get the bulk of my shopping done at those two stores before moving on to the high-priced places.
I went to Marc's a couple of years ago. We usually buy butter at Aldi's and a few odds and ends, but for the most part I just shop at the local family owned IGA store. They put a flyer out weekly, and I buy whatever's on sale and stock up.

It's sort of an old fashioned type place in that they have plenty of cashiers so you never wait long in line, and they have bag boys with bowties on to help the older people with their groceries. I think the prices are about the same or even cheaper than the bigger chains like Giant Eagle.

Plus I like their hot foods/deli. For $6, you can get an entree, 2 sides, and a roll. I sometimes grab a couple of those for a quick dinner.

Are you from NE Ohio?
__________________
jd_1138 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2016, 04:23 AM   #300
Sous Chef
 
Join Date: Apr 2015
Location: New Hampshire Seacoast
Posts: 799
Head over to the bread forum for some additional information.

Breads, Pizza & Sandwiches - Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums
__________________

__________________
tenspeed is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Discuss Cooking on Facebook

Our Communities

Our communities encompass many different hobbies and interests, but each one is built on friendly, intelligent membership.

» More about our Communities

Automotive Communities

Our Automotive communities encompass many different makes and models. From U.S. domestics to European Saloons.

» More about our Automotive Communities

Marine Communities

Our Marine websites focus on Cruising and Sailing Vessels, including forums and the largest cruising Wiki project on the web today.

» More about our Marine Communities


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:46 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 4
Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.