"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 04-07-2016, 09:47 AM   #301
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The longer you let the dough ferment in the fridge, the more sour it gets. With the no-knead bread recipe, you can leave it for up to two weeks.

It can be difficult to get rye bread to rise and have big holes because it doesn't have as much gluten as wheat. It should be very tasty, though. I would add the caraway seeds when you first mix the dough.

Another option is to get a bread machine. I use mine to make dough and then bake it in the oven.
I mix rye flour with strong white bread flour. It isn't as rye-flavoured as the proper Polish rye bread that I used to be able to buy but still tasty.

Old 09-14-2016, 03:16 PM   #302
Cook

Yikes!

For my wife and I, and occasionally our two housemates, I spend $75 a week!

I do most of my shopping at Aldi and a local produce store. Occasionally we run to Giant and Target to get things we can't. I also visit the ethnic grocery stores as well. You can buy spices and such from them for very little.

Old 09-14-2016, 05:09 PM   #303
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCooks View Post
Yikes!

For my wife and I, and occasionally our two housemates, I spend $75 a week!

I do most of my shopping at Aldi and a local produce store. Occasionally we run to Giant and Target to get things we can't. I also visit the ethnic grocery stores as well. You can buy spices and such from them for very little.
If you don't eat meat, That is probably a good budget. Do you eat seafood? I went into an Aldi once when they first opened here and that was the last time. I have also discovered that buying spices at ethnic stores can be a crap shoot. Especially at Chinese groceries. Seems that the lack of quality from the building materials has spilled over to the food exported from China and SE Asia.
Old 09-14-2016, 06:27 PM   #304
Senior Cook

We spend about $90 a week for 3 people. Aldi is my go to store!!! I buy almost everything except meat and carbonated drinks there. Then we have $175 left in the food account for dining out and entertainment we may need from Wednesday to Wednesday. Got to where we buy our paper items in bulk at Sams. And often find ourselves buying extra meats to stock up the freezer when we've got extra money lying around. If money is still in our account by the end of the week we use it to pay extra on bills that need to be paid
Old 09-14-2016, 06:32 PM   #305
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CraigC View Post
If you don't eat meat, That is probably a good budget. Do you eat seafood? I went into an Aldi once when they first opened here and that was the last time. I have also discovered that buying spices at ethnic stores can be a crap shoot. Especially at Chinese groceries. Seems that the lack of quality from the building materials has spilled over to the food exported from China and SE Asia.
You should give aldi another try... They sell things like tilapia and shrimp (for seafood lovers) but they're not fresh like the supermarket. There is not much there that doesn't taste like the name brand stuff to me for much lower prices than grocery stores like Walmart, Kroger, Publix etc.

We buy a lot of our spices at our local farmers market. They're often very cheap there and taste just like they would from a grocery store. It's a pretty good ways away so we don't go there often but when we do we stock up!
Old 09-14-2016, 06:46 PM   #306
Wine Guy

Quote:
I have also discovered that buying spices at ethnic stores can be a crap shoot. Especially at Chinese groceries. Seems that the lack of quality from the building materials has spilled over to the food exported from China and SE Asia.
Wow... that's a big blanket statement.

I guess I should consider myself fortunate. There's a very good Asian grocer not far from me. For certain foods, I actually prefer it over the supermarket, which seems to only carry Kikkoman and LaChoy brands. Much (but not all) of their produce is local. And so far it's been the only place in town I've been able to get fresh duck eggs. Overall I've found the prices to be good and the people that work there to be extremely helpful and pleasant.
Old 09-14-2016, 07:27 PM   #307
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica_Morris View Post
You should give aldi another try... They sell things like tilapia and shrimp (for seafood lovers) but they're not fresh like the supermarket. There is not much there that doesn't taste like the name brand stuff to me for much lower prices than grocery stores like Walmart, Kroger, Publix etc.

We buy a lot of our spices at our local farmers market. They're often very cheap there and taste just like they would from a grocery store. It's a pretty good ways away so we don't go there often but when we do we stock up!
I like the produce at Aldi, and I found skirt steak for a great price, but we don't eat tilapia - most of it is imported from China, Indonesia and Thailand and they don't have good controls on farm-raised fish.

Spices at the farmers market? Do you mean herbs? Most spices are native to the tropics and are not grown in the United States.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:16 PM   #308
Cook

Quote:
Yes, I am actually Pescetarian. I do get Tilapia and Salmon and Shrimp from Aldi. It's priced well. Frozen and vacuum sealed. Tastes just fine.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:38 PM   #309
Head Chef

What's interesting is that I thought I saved money during the summer months do to the wide variety and amount of veggies I get from the garden. But ironically, when i get a harvest, it inspires me to cook more and be more creative. To do this, I actually have to go out and spend more to make the recipes I want to try.
Old 09-14-2016, 08:54 PM   #310
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by larry_stewart View Post
What's interesting is that I thought I saved money during the summer months do to the wide variety and amount of veggies I get from the garden. But ironically, when i get a harvest, it inspires me to cook more and be more creative. To do this, I actually have to go out and spend more to make the recipes I want to try.
really? Wow, can you give us some examples of the stuff you end up making?