"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-16-2016, 07:45 AM   #321
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
Does that mean you no longer patronize the store less than a mile away that provided your rotten cippolini?
Kind of, I will now do the same thing I do if I buy prepackaged chicken from them. Break the package open. In the case of chicken, it gets the smell test, in the case of prepackaged produce, it gets inspected. When we shopped at Publix exclusively, if they didn't have loose produce, I would break open packages to 1) make sure nothing was bad inside, 2) get the exact amount I wanted and 3) if the loose produce isn't appealing. We pretty much only shop there for bogo items anymore or for items not available else where. Considering there is a Penn Dutch, Winn Dixie and Publix within blocks of each other, we can pick and choose from each stores ad. Penn Dutch gets the bulk of our grocery spending each week. There is also Restaurant Depot as well.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:00 AM   #322
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by erehweslefox View Post
I usually am at $50-$80 per week, for two adults.

Keep things really really cheap, I also have a 10 gallon pail of barley. I suggest all of you get a 10 gallon pail of barley, if you can. Barley can be used to make pottage, which is our staple food. I usually make a large stock pot full of it on Sunday, portion it out, and it is lunches and help all week.

I do the coupon thing, and watch the sales. Normally I get 30-50 percent off my bill on discounts and coupons when I go to the grocery.

Buy whole chickens, and thighs, instead of breasts. Can usually get either three servings of four thighs, or a whole chicken which is one dinner for breasts, and a pot pie for the rest, for about $7.

I am not very discerning about ground beef, and tend to get the $10 three pound 'log' of 75% lean. I mainly use it in casseroles anyway.

Speaking of casserole, they are my friend.

I try to once a week spend a bit more and have a 'good' meal, where I spend a little bit more especially on the protein.

Some of my favorite seafood recipes are middle eastern, and highly spiced. They stand up well to those big sacks of frozen talapia from BJ's or Costco.

I buy spices in bulk.

I try to take advantage of windfalls, very cheap sales. I just had a sale of a lot of ground beef, bought much and made it into meatballs, and froze them. Now I have a quick meal from grabbing a bag of meatballs, making a sauce, and serving with a starch.

Just some thoughts.

TBS
How'd you freeze the meatballs?Just threw them in a ziplock? Do you ever freeze the casseroles?

Old 09-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #323
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuartCooks View Post
How'd you freeze the meatballs?Just threw them in a ziplock? Do you ever freeze the casseroles?
Yup, just stick them in a ziplock. They last for quite a while. I put them about 25 to a bag, that way if I'm in a rush I can grab a bag, make a sauce, and add a starch or pasta.

And yes, I freeze casseroles all the time. I generally make up twice to three times what we need, and freeze a bunch. I find it is just as easy to make a big batch of something, than a small batch.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:36 PM   #324
Head Chef

Location: The Gateway to the Grand Canyon, wishing I was back home in Hawaii
Lightbulb Freezing Meatballs

Click image for larger version

Name:	tray of meatballs.jpg
Views:	10
Size:	116.5 KB
ID:	25385

Whenever I make meatballs, I place them onto a sheet pan and freeze them this way.

Name:	meatballs.jpg
Views:	8
Size:	163.8 KB
ID:	25386

Then they go into a freezer bag, 12 at a time for the 2 of us.
I put them into a pot of sauce, still frozen most times and slowly
simmered to perfect tenderness.
We usually don't eat that entire dozen meatballs in one sitting,
they'll be used for Meatball sandwiches the next afternoon, MMM
Old 09-16-2016, 09:41 PM   #325
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaneohegirlinaz View Post
...Whenever I make meatballs, I place them onto a sheet pan and freeze them this way. Then they go into a freezer bag, 12 at a time for the 2 of us. I put them into a pot of sauce, still frozen most times and slowly simmered to perfect tenderness. We usually don't eat that entire dozen meatballs in one sitting, they'll be used for Meatball sandwiches the next afternoon, MMM
I usually cook them first in a big batch in the sauce (after browning) then freeze them in the sauce. That way, All I need to do is microwave the meatballs and sauce to eat.
Old 09-16-2016, 09:42 PM   #326
Head Chef

Quote:
... snipped ...

Name:	meatball sandwich.jpg
Views:	15
Size:	44.5 KB
ID:	25387

Mangiamo!
Old 09-16-2016, 10:09 PM   #327
Master Chef

Quote:
Attachment 25385

Whenever I make meatballs, I place them onto a sheet pan and freeze them this way.

Attachment 25386

Then they go into a freezer bag, 12 at a time for the 2 of us.
I put them into a pot of sauce, still frozen most times and slowly
simmered to perfect tenderness.
kgirl, that's how I do meatballs too, when I make up a batch to freeze. They don't stick together if they're frozen on a sheet pan first before putting them in a bag. Living alone, sometimes I only want to grab 3 or so, then throw the bag back in the freezer.

I don't freeze all of them in a sauce at one time - once in a while I want them plain with mushrooms and onions, or grandson will want a couple with just bbq sauce. I need to replenish the meatball supply very soon, come to think of it.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:28 PM   #328
Master Chef

What is your limit?

Can't believe I haven't posted about this subject on this long thread yet.

I don't really keep track, it would be nearly impossible. I keep the freezer stocked with meat and when it gets a little low on one thing or another I buy a family pack and portion it up. I stock up on canned food, paper goods, shampoo and vitamins at Costco, but that might only be once a year or so since it's so far away. Walmart for things in between, like cat food, etc.

I usually hit the seasonal local farm stand and supermarket about once a week for produce and dairy. Sometimes I'll go a couple of weeks without needing to buy anything but milk. And wine.

Of course, then there's the times when tri tips are on sale, or I want a nice rib eye, or scallops, or if I'm having family over for dinner. Overall, I don't think I spend much at all so figure I can splurge when I want to.
Old 09-16-2016, 10:45 PM   #329
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cheryl J View Post
kgirl, that's how I do meatballs too, when I make up a batch to freeze. They don't stick together if they're frozen on a sheet pan first before putting them in a bag. Living alone, sometimes I only want to grab 3 or so, then throw the bag back in the freezer.

I don't freeze all of them in a sauce at one time - once in a while I want them plain with mushrooms and onions, or grandson will want a couple with just bbq sauce. I need to replenish the meatball supply very soon, come to think of it.
That's true Cheryl, I have been only 2-track minded... maybe Swedish meatballs; I make often in the Winter Italian Wedding Soup with tiny meatballs, I recently made Meatball Parmesan, MMM ... hmmm, what else could I do with meatballs.

I also want to say that I portion them out with a small ice cream (cookie) scoop to get them as even in size as I can, that way they cook evenly. For the tiny meatballs, I simply half the small scoops, that works, and then they also will go frozen, into the boiling broth to simmer gently, mmm, time for another pot of soup me thinks
Old 09-16-2016, 11:34 PM   #330
Master Chef

I use a spring loaded scoop too, makes it so much easier. Forgot about Italian Wedding Soup until you mentioned it...there's another idea.