"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #341
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Well that is how expensive food is in Sweden, reason being why meat is so expensive is we pay to keep the animals in good health and happy. We have one Europeans strictest animal husbandry laws. Sweden is expensive when it comes to food, but it isnt as bad as Norway.

I am not going to be vegan, I cant digest that much veggies, I tried , I got really ill. So instead with have smaller portions on the table and fill up with is cheaper.

Pure pork mince is about 5 dollar and you can see it for 3 dollar on sale. Remember do everything by kilo ( 1 kilo= 2.2 pounds)
Too much fiber eh? lol

Old 09-19-2016, 10:26 AM   #342
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by deelady View Post
What is your usual budget you try to stick to for a weeks worth of groceries or two weeks worth?

I am currently just shopping for my daughter and I and it seems lately I am hitting about a hundred a week (with coupns!) and I cringe each time! Is this a normal amount? Or is this the change in grocery prices??

So what amount do you TRY to stay under whith you trip to the store?
It depends. It's essential to make a list, both to ensure you come away with what you went for and to avoid impulse buys. I generally try to buy just what I need and think very carefully about whether I really need the other things which are on special offer that catch my eye. I'm a bit of a canny shopper and, although I don't sacrifice quality for price, I do check to see if something which is cheaper is up to the standard of the brand I usually buy.

Old 09-19-2016, 01:44 PM   #343
Sous Chef

StuartCooks, yes too much fiber, I cant even eat rye bread because of that. *sigh* But I also got some other not so good side effects, I need about 100 gram of meat per day to keep the belly happy.
Old 09-19-2016, 09:21 PM   #344
Senior Cook

Quote:
Well that is how expensive food is in Sweden, reason being why meat is so expensive is we pay to keep the animals in good health and happy. We have one Europeans strictest animal husbandry laws. Sweden is expensive when it comes to food, but it isnt as bad as Norway.
I kind of wish we did here in the states. One of the more convincing arguments my vegetarian and vegan friends make is the horrible mistreatment of animals in factory farms. I do a bit of backpacking and camping which often takes me out into very rural regions. Let me tell you, you can if the wind is bad smell a factory farm miles before you drive past it. It is that bad.

TBS
Old 09-20-2016, 01:39 AM   #345
Sous Chef

Well Eu wanted us to change, because we where too good and that made every ones else feel bad. We sad F you and did our way. The animals laws needs to be updated , they nicked name The Astrid Lindgren laws, she our beloved children book author work hard for animal welfare and got the law as birthday gift.

Anyway when it comes to the eggs, yes we have caged hen eggs too but bigger cages , but most eggs are free range indoor or out door because people stopped buying the caged hen eggs. I can smell cow poop in the morning but that because the cows are now in field near the school, this year they are only 4.
Old 09-20-2016, 11:27 AM   #346
Senior Cook

Quote:
I can smell cow poop in the morning but that because the cows are now in field near the school, this year they are only 4.
A little cow poop is healthy. I am encouraging my sister and brother-in-law to take the kids out to a working farm near where they live in Virginia just to get exposed to a bit of cow poop. I am of the opinion that much of the rise of asthma and immune disorders is linked to the fact that we spend too much time inside in sterile environments nowadays, the immune system doesn't have time to learn. I spent much of my childhood up to my knees in various kinds of muck.

Southeastern Colorado, we were headed out to hike Picketwire Canyon, by the way an excellent challenging hike. The original settlers called it the 'Valley of Purgatory and Lost Souls' it is that bad. Turns into an oven in the summer, the walls of the canyon tend to concentrate the heat, and there is no shade at all, and no source of water other than what you bring. If you can make it ten miles in, there is a tract of fossilized dinosaur tracks, the largest in North America.

But I digress, driving in you have to pass some feed/kill lots for cattle, and the stench is incredible. You literally smell them before you see them. They stretch for acres in SE Colorado. Glad you Swedes are doing a bit better, even though it might make your meat a little pricier.

When I was in grad school I roomed with two vegetarians in a small house. While I wasn't converted, I do think we, at least Americans, eat more meat then we really need to. Living with them both made me develop vegetarian versions of some of my favorite recipes, and buy better meat, and think of eating it as a special occasion.

I have kind of backslid, for financial reasons, and 1.99 a pound ground beef is attractive as a protein source. I do sometimes think of those acres of smelly lowing doomed cows in Colorado and feel quite horrible.

Cheers,

TBS
Old 09-26-2016, 02:44 PM   #347
Cook

Quote:
StuartCooks, yes too much fiber, I cant even eat rye bread because of that. *sigh* But I also got some other not so good side effects, I need about 100 gram of meat per day to keep the belly happy.
Sorry you have belly issues, I can understand how that can be frustrating!
Old 09-26-2016, 06:25 PM   #348
Master Chef

What's my limit; 5 nice brookies , rainbows, or steelheads on most streams is my limit. However, get into a good school of perch on the river and you can take what you want.

Ok, I know what you're asking, and it's not the limit of fish allowed. I believe the daily limit for grouse is 5 birds.

Oops, you're not talking about game bird limits either.

My budget limit, hmmmm, I try to keep it around $50 U.S. per week, but rarely am able to. The price of things keeps going up, though my wage doesn't.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2016, 01:06 PM   #349
Senior Cook

Round here in Eastern PA after quite a while of industrial activity, don't want to eat more than a river caught fish a week, even in 'safer' areas.

Glad to hear things are better out with you land of 1000 ponds.

TBS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Longwind Of The North View Post
What's my limit; 5 nice brookies , rainbows, or steelheads on most streams is my limit. However, get into a good school of perch on the river and you can take what you want.

Ok, I know what you're asking, and it's not the limit of fish allowed. I believe the daily limit for grouse is 5 birds.

Oops, you're not talking about game bird limits either.

My budget limit, hmmmm, I try to keep it around $50 U.S. per week, but rarely am able to. The price of things keeps going up, though my wage doesn't.

Seeeeeeeya; Chief Longwind of the North
Old 09-27-2016, 01:56 PM   #350
Chef Extraordinaire

Raw Fish

I will never eat raw fish. I knew you could not eat the fish caught in Boston Harbor. Even if you cooked it to death. The harbor was polluted really bad.

Then my husband brought home a whole cod fish/head on and gutted. He started to filet it for me and ewwww big time. It was loaded with parasites. He showed me how the fish factories filet the catch. By the time he got through fileting the cod, you would never know that the part closest to the stomach had been loaded with parasites. He made a thin filet on both sides and removed all the parasites. Those filets went into the trash bucket. The rest they filet and that is the part they sell to the public. Perfectly safe.

So I make sure all my fish is cooked.