What is your limit?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I really don't know what the two of us spend on food now, but I'd guess we're somewhere around £100/$150 or so a week (if I'm not planning on doing an overly nice meal). We used to keep to more of a budget but after years in uni on a £10 a week food limit, food is one vice I don't feel guilty indulging. :mrgreen:

2 person household. I usually fork out about 1200-1500 a month on foodstuffs, so 350 a week or thereabouts? Obviously not including dining out, which usually happens 1-2 times a week. Number is somewhat skewed though--I pair a lot of my meals with wines. There are the occasional "odd" months where I go significantly higher as well. Those horrible times when one realizes they need to buy another bottle of balsamic vinegar (add $120) or some truffles (dependent on market), have 5guests coming over and wanna do lobsters ($150) or the like.

I think it depends on the area of the country you live in as well since some states are more expensive to live in than others. For my family of four, I get groceries once per week and spend on average about $100 each week. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less, it just depends upon what we're needing

2 person household. I usually fork out about 1200-1500 a month on foodstuffs, so 350 a week or thereabouts? Obviously not including dining out, which usually happens 1-2 times a week. Number is somewhat skewed though--I pair a lot of my meals with wines. There are the occasional "odd" months where I go significantly higher as well. Those horrible times when one realizes they need to buy another bottle of balsamic vinegar (add $120) or some truffles (dependent on market), have 5guests coming over and wanna do lobsters ($150) or the like.
like wow and more power to you.......differences are just cool with me.
If I did that, my mortgage wouldn't get paid, I'm so not like you but I respect that difference.

I have a famly of 6, my husband, myself, an 8,5,4,and 2 year old and I spend around $75 for 2 weeks! We have a grocery outlet store and things are pretty cheap, plus I know all the people who work in the Meat dep. so I get my meat really cheap! Ground chuck for 1.16 lb! that helps! lol

like wow and more power to you.......differences are just cool with me.
If I did that, my mortgage wouldn't get paid, I'm so not like you but I respect that difference.

Heh I'm just playing catchup, devoted to not limiting myself now that I've earned some comfort in life. When I put myself through college, I spent my first 2 years living in a tent at a KOA facility (in Boston--winters are cold, eh?), my 3rd year living in the trailer of a semi, and my 4th year in a studio apartment about as big as the closet in my master suite today. Obviously I didn't get to enjoy the finer things. Now I make it a point to not deny myself any comforts in life. You only have so many years on this mudball, I've taken the philosophy I'm not going to waste any of em--which translates into my dining habits, as well.

Our grocery budget is pretty variable, because the number of people I'm feeding varies so much. Some weeks I'm mostly on my own. Other weeks we've got people dropping in two or three times a week... I think the grocery bill for us kind of depends on the number of vegetarian meals in our menu.

Location does make a huge difference in food prices, though. Whenever I go to other parts of the country - sometimes even other parts of New England! - I'm amazed by how little some things cost.

Well, I just went through December's figures and saw that I spent $637 on food. I live alone but apparently I entertained my family and friends more than I thought. Wow. My food budget is usually around $300 but I have a fully stocked freezer in the garage and a fully stocked freezer in my fridge. Time to go on a diet!

*gasp* :ohmy:

Can I come live at your house?

We have a family of almost 3, my daughter lives with us, but spends a lot of time at school or with her boyfriend. Then again, my son lives across the street from us and he makes up for when his sister is not here! Any way, I usually spend about $150.00 a week at the grocery store plus an additional $60.00 to $80.00 for takeout or pub grub.

Veggie family of 4 here.
about $150 a week at the regular grocery store
another $50 on produce and dairy
when we are having Indian or chinese and I have to go to the specialty ethnic stores, you can add an additional $25 or so
I remember the good old days when it was just $75 for the 4 of us.

Well this month was pretty high, which is not surprising considering it is the holidays. We spent around $877 this month. We figured about $670 of that was on groceries including alcohol, snacks, and baking supplies for Christmas and New Years. The rest was on eating out. We had everything divided out so we did a little each day, which meant going out on a daily basis to run errands and unfortunately we were bad and ate out almost every time.
January will be a month where we clamp down on this expense! November was a total of $660 on groceries and $120 on eating out. January will more than likely be $0 for eating out and pretty close to $600 on the groceries.

It's just Mike and I here (and the dog and cat) I'd say for groceries we probably spend between 40-50 a week so 200 a month. Every week I go out and get stuff for new recipes. For me a grocery list is my saving grace, I am so busy looking down reading the list that I rarely reach for things we don't need. I buy off brands for canned beans or veggies. Lots of frozen staples (pastas, meats, even bread freezes well) Stock up on pantry staples if they are on sale. We also make sure to eat our left overs, you'd be surprised how much food can go to waste when you trash day old food. I always pack left overs for lunch or reuse them in tomorrows meals.

We don't eat out too often either, maybe once a week and it's always some where reasonable. In these times you can't be too frugile if you ask me.

That is something I need to work on in the new year. I really don't know how much I spend and am a bit too lenient when it comes to impulse buying. Our local grocery (Publix) has lots of BOGO items so I sometimes pick them up when I don't really need them. My pantry and freezers are stocked well and I need to use up lots before I go shopping again. I'm going to be more careful with all my shopping in this new year. I need to be more watchful and elminate waste as sometimes I buy more fresh stuff than what we can use in a short time. This has been a good wake up for me.

For two adults and one child, I usually spend $55.00 a week. That includes all food and paper products. I belong to a product club so we get product at cost- that's helps a lot. I also make almost everything from scratch which cuts the bill down too.

I am sorry Penguin but what is a product club? I spend $50 to $100 a week for everything and I always have a stocked fridge and pantry. Something I learned from my grandmother. She always said after living through the depression she would never find her pantry empty again.

My food budget for a month is between $350 and $400 a month for me and my horse.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom