"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-10-2008, 09:20 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
You know, I do get tired of it sometimes, but then I am happy I have what I have.
Laundry soap doesn't lather like detergent, but, it cleans things nice. I shred 12 ounces of plain soap, put it in a big pan on the stove with a couple quarts of water. When it is dissolved and clear, I pour it in a big bucket, add a cup of borax powder and a cup of washing soda, then add 3 quarts of water, and mix. As it cools it thickens and after sitting 12 hours it's a gel. I use 3/4 cup of it more or less per load at pennies per use.
(Sometimes I add a few ounces of essential oil to give it a clean fragrance-tea tree oil.)
My wife has that 'recipe' as well, but I like the idea of essential oils being added to it to give it a nice fragrance, thanks for the idea! About how much do you think you add to it, approximately?

Old 10-10-2008, 09:42 PM   #32
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick2272 View Post
ALDI for most stuff, lots of coupons anywhere else. Love to get things on sale and have a coupon as well. Most grocery stores here are even taking expired coupons as well. That and right now we are keeping meals simple to keep them cheap.
Wow, your ALDI must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than ours. I went into ALDI for the first time two weeks ago and they had nothing but their brand and it wasn't competitive with Walmart.

I had a $500 paycheck last week, paid $400 in rent, and still had $20 the day before payday so I'm definitely not spending $100 a week.

Old 10-10-2008, 09:56 PM   #33
Head Chef

There are only two of us at home but the kids come by to go "shopping" sometimes. I have a well stocked pantry that I only restock when items are low AND on sale. Like Pacanis some weeks I spend nothing while other weeks I might spend $200 if there are a lot of good deals. I have larges bins for dog food and cat food that hold 3 20lb. bags each so I only buy animal food about once every two to three months (always with coupons).
Old 10-10-2008, 10:00 PM   #34
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Thanks for the laundry soap endorsement, blissfull. Our oldest son just emailed us the recipe this morning. I am definitely going to make some. I think one of the things we've all gotten used to is the "lathering" of soap. Psychologically we feel as though things are getting clean. I could care less about bubbles. I simply want my laundry clean.

One thing someone addressed earlier on was the use of cloth napkins. We've never had paper napkins in our house, even when the children were small. I'll bet we have close to 200 cloth napkins in our supply. For some reason, it never made much sense to use paper ones with 5 children. Just use your imagination on how much toilet paper they used!!! We never used paper towels either. Still don't.

They were assigned a napkin color for each one and were charged to put them in the wash every several days. The napkins were "lost in the noise" of washing for 7 people.

Buck and I were invited to a picnic last year and had to go to the dollar store to buy paper napkins because we were asked to bring the paper products.

But...to each his own.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:13 PM   #35
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Callisto in NC View Post
Wow, your ALDI must be waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay different than ours. I went into ALDI for the first time two weeks ago and they had nothing but their brand and it wasn't competitive with Walmart.

I had a $500 paycheck last week, paid $400 in rent, and still had $20 the day before payday so I'm definitely not spending $100 a week.
Ours has a huge selection of stuff, including name brands and special buys. If I catch something on sale at Wal-Mart and have a coupon, I can sometimes match the price at ALDI, but that is very rare so I don't shop there very often.

Some of the best deals for meat, though, come from Pete's and Moo & Oink.
Old 10-10-2008, 10:18 PM   #36
Executive Chef

Quote:
Ours has a huge selection of stuff, including name brands and special buys. If I catch something on sale at Wal-Mart and have a coupon, I can sometimes match the price at ALDI, but that is very rare so I don't shop there very often.

Some of the best deals for meat, though, come from Pete's and Moo & Oink.
I wish we had that kind of Aldi. Everything in ours is some Aldi brand, very limited, only 4 total aisles maybe three yards long. No meat, very little produce and the only national brands I saw were the candy bars at the check out. AND you had to have your own bags and do it youself.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:33 AM   #37
Head Chef

Our Aldi is a lot like the one Mav is talking about. They have "special buys" where they have brand names. Milk is $2.49 a gallon. They have meats, cheeses, bread and dairy products along with produce and canned goods. Most of the stuff is "Aldi" Brand. I don't know where Mooresville, NC is Callisto in relation to a big city but it may be that they have more stuff in the stores near big cities. Here's their webpage: Aldi
Old 10-11-2008, 07:34 AM   #38
Head Chef

Quote:
My wife has that 'recipe' as well, but I like the idea of essential oils being added to it to give it a nice fragrance, thanks for the idea! About how much do you think you add to it, approximately?
I don't add an essential oil every time and the soap lasts so long- months, it's been a while since I made some. Each essential oil is different, so I'll start with a teaspoon and start adding, until it is just slightly fragranced. Tea tree oil is nice for this application and also topically for it's anti fungal and antibiotic properties. So if you are buying some, and you can find it, get a 4-8 ounce bottle and it will last for quite a while.

So Maverick--are you getting all 'mavericky' like tina fey from saturday night live says? I hope she does another impersonation tonight--I don't stay up that late but I watch it on hulu.com and it's so funny I've had tears running down my face.
Old 10-11-2008, 08:15 AM   #39
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to LeeAnn Send a message via Yahoo to LeeAnn
It's me, 3 daughters, 4 cats and 2 hermit crabs. We spend about $300-$400/month. That includes all the "other" things that are needed besides food. I've always been able to keep my food bill down, just sticking to the basic meals that the kids like. Every now and then I'll make something new, or try some new recipes. But lately I haven't been able to - still trying to adjust to our "move".

I like the idea of homemade laundry detergent, we try to be friendlier to our environment in packaging and natural type products.

We don't have an Aldi here, but there is a Walmart in Riverhead - about 20 minutes from here. And there is a Stop and Shop, which we haven't been to yet since it's brand new - also in Riverhead. And a Best Yet store, haven't been there either but my friend loves shopping there, says they have great deals on deli and produce. I'll have to check it out.

Thanks for all the great ideas! :-)
Old 10-11-2008, 09:25 AM   #40
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mama View Post
Our Aldi is a lot like the one Mav is talking about. They have "special buys" where they have brand names. Milk is $2.49 a gallon. They have meats, cheeses, bread and dairy products along with produce and canned goods. Most of the stuff is "Aldi" Brand. I don't know where Mooresville, NC is Callisto in relation to a big city but it may be that they have more stuff in the stores near big cities. Here's their webpage: Aldi
Mooresville is a decent size city. 90% of the NASCAR race shops are here. Mooresville is where Lake Norman is so we are close to Charlotte and Concord. Concord's where the race track is. I'll check the site but I'm not impressed so far. :)