"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-11-2008, 10:23 AM   #41
Assistant Cook

Last year I could get a bunch of groceries for about $100 with coupons it would be like $10. But it seems like now the prices have gone up and the coupons are just not that great. Now we only save about $10-20 if we're lucky. We try to stay within $200-300 a month but sometimes we go over.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:24 AM   #42
Master Chef

We were talking about ALDI in another thread as well, I remember because someone mentioned their ALDI was nothing but stuff stacked on pallets all over the place and flies buzzing around everything. Yuck!
The whole concept of chains was so that no matter where you went in the country, you would find everything the same. Yet these days things vary so much it is no longer true, which to me defeats the whole purpose of having chains in the first place.

Old 10-11-2008, 11:32 AM   #43
Chef Extraordinaire

To us, yes, to them purchasing power
Old 10-11-2008, 12:39 PM   #44
Master Chef

That was me describing our BRAND NEW "Aldi" here in Culpeper, VA. And just to be fair, a few months ago my husband & I revisited just to see whether or not it was just "grand opening" problems they were having when they opened last year.

Unfortunately not. Still the same old pallets full of questionable junk food, & still the same palleted cardboard boxes full of unchilled produce with fruit flies all over the place. Nothing in the "meat department" except for 3-pound packages of cheap ground beef & 5-pound packages of bologna. It was awful, & just brings folks shopping on a budget to the lowest common denominator possible - not to mention unhealthy to boot.

They could drop their prices to next to nothing & you still wouldn't find me in there. Regardless of how the folks around here might feel politically about WalMart, they definitely get better quality & bang for their buck by walking across the street & shopping there instead.

I continue to feel that the Aldi here is nothing but an embarrassment to our community. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it eventually leaves due to lack of patronage.
Old 10-11-2008, 01:03 PM   #45
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by BreezyCooking View Post
That was me describing our BRAND NEW "Aldi" here in Culpeper, VA. And just to be fair, a few months ago my husband & I revisited just to see whether or not it was just "grand opening" problems they were having when they opened last year.

Unfortunately not. Still the same old pallets full of questionable junk food, & still the same palleted cardboard boxes full of unchilled produce with fruit flies all over the place. Nothing in the "meat department" except for 3-pound packages of cheap ground beef & 5-pound packages of bologna. It was awful, & just brings folks shopping on a budget to the lowest common denominator possible - not to mention unhealthy to boot.

They could drop their prices to next to nothing & you still wouldn't find me in there. Regardless of how the folks around here might feel politically about WalMart, they definitely get better quality & bang for their buck by walking across the street & shopping there instead.

I continue to feel that the Aldi here is nothing but an embarrassment to our community. I'm still keeping my fingers crossed that it eventually leaves due to lack of patronage.
Seriously, from what you describe I can't believe they are still open a year later

You gotta wonder who in the heck is going there??????
Old 10-11-2008, 01:57 PM   #46
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Breezy, I'm sorry your area Aldi is a disappointment. The one we have here is fantastic. The fresh produce couldn't be fresher and the meat case is always full with a vast selection of meats, but no poultry. All the poultry this store has is frozen. They also have an extensive dairy section that includes all sorts of cheeses, block as well as shredded/grated. I always shop at Aldi before going anywhere else.

The store is always spic-and-span clean and I've never seen any flies or bugs of any kind.
Old 10-11-2008, 02:18 PM   #47
Master Chef

Wow Katie, that's great. Definitely nothing at all like the one here. They had milk in the fridge department, but no cheeses except for huge blocks of generic processed cheese (like government surplus) & huge packages of wrapped American slices - stuff like that.

I am definitely not a food-shopping snob, but walking into the Aldi's here is like stepping into a relief distribution center.
Old 10-13-2008, 11:07 AM   #48
Executive Chef

Pallets ~ that's what I was missing in my description of our Aldi. We have the same things, pallets of crud with no here nor there to what's available. First impressions being what they are, I won't be back. The think I really didn't understand was having a cashier but having to bag your own groceries. Fine, make me bring a bag, but don't have her just shove stuff on a shelf and have me try and keep up. Either have self-check and I bag at my pace, or have the cashier put the items in the bag I provide. At least make the system make sense.
Old 10-23-2008, 03:45 PM   #49
Senior Cook

My wife and I spend $50-80 per week.

Mind you this is generally at Whole Foods (because I can walk there), although also often at Asian markets (which brings down the cost average).

Surprisingly, I've found that I can actually shop at WF fairly inexpensively depending on what I buy. Their "365" line is usually of great quality and it's almost always a great deal (especially the olive oil and frozen veg. The Edamame is GOOD)
Old 11-03-2008, 03:45 PM   #50
Senior Cook

Me and the BF try to stay under $100 a week.