"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 11-03-2008, 03:53 PM   #51
Master Chef

I really don't have a limit. I go to the store when I need to go. I usually try to keep my tab under 150 and have done pretty well by it. I use coupons, take advantage of sales. If an item is not onsale or I do not have a coupon to use with it, then I pass on the item until one of the above is true. Hubby will be fine for another week while I wait for his deoderant to go on sale.... LOL!!!

Old 11-03-2008, 04:23 PM   #52
Certified Cake Maniac

3 of us here, me, DH and our border (a hungry student). I usually have a budget of $600 per month but that includes cleaning supplies, pet food, lunch supplies (bags, plastic cutlery, pop) and we do a lot of bulk shopping so often it is $600 one month and $300 the next.

http://beinglydia.com
LPBeier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2008, 11:13 AM   #53
Assistant Cook

I think it really depends on what region you live in. We've had the unfortunate pleasure of moving twice this year. Prices are higher in South Carolina than on Long Island, which is crazy. However, it's the first time in about 10 years that I've seen a bagging clerk! Friendly and all, but I'd rather save the $20 and bag myself!
Old 11-12-2008, 09:07 PM   #54
Senior Cook

I'm just getting back into cooking after a long dry spell. This conversation has been incredibly valuable to me. Its just me and DH, and I wondered if $100/wk would be sufficient. We spend so much more than that eating out, but we have gotten used to only eating a late breakfast and an early supper. This last week I spent around $150 but that includes restocking the spices and some basic stuff like flour & sugar, and some paper goods - so $100/wk is probably close.

I'm looking forward to learning more from y'all!
Old 11-12-2008, 10:17 PM   #55
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via MSN to kitchenelf
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Breezy, I'm sorry your area Aldi is a disappointment. The one we have here is fantastic. The fresh produce couldn't be fresher and the meat case is always full with a vast selection of meats, but no poultry. All the poultry this store has is frozen. They also have an extensive dairy section that includes all sorts of cheeses, block as well as shredded/grated. I always shop at Aldi before going anywhere else.

The store is always spic-and-span clean and I've never seen any flies or bugs of any kind.
Our Aldi is the same Katie E. I once bought 4 beautiful red peppers for $1.25 Clean store and right beside the peppers was a child's drum set - so convenient!!!! Actually, my friend bought that for her son's Christmas present! I love that place!

"Count yourself...you ain't so many" - quote from Buck's Daddy
kitchenelf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2008, 04:51 PM   #56
Senior Cook

My wife and I budget $135 per week, but we normally go a little over. If I had to guess, I'd say $150/wk is typical. If we're not counting non-food items, then we probably spend about $125 a week.

I think that's pretty good for a family of three, but I know we could do better. I've tried (and failed) to convince DW to shop for what's on sale and build our menu around that. I guess we just aren't pinched enough financially for her to seriously consider it. I wish she would though.
Old 11-23-2008, 05:27 PM   #57
Senior Cook

well, today was a $135 day at the grocery store but that included a case of beer and a bottle of wine, as well as meat for 6 meals including a piece of roast and some ground beef. We also bought some "new" to us things that we wanted to try out, but didn't really *need*.

last week was only about $50 or $60 - just to replace milk, bread, and fruit that we had run out of, and some assorted ingredients for recipes. We had leftovers a few times which helped the budget.
Old 11-25-2008, 10:00 AM   #58
Sous Chef

I feel like I am playing roulette when I go grocery shopping... I have a hard time gauging what I am spending... I try to be very budget conscious and pay attention to the unit cost and to buy things that are meal specific.... I generally spend the most $$ when I have a specific thing I want to make and have to buy all the extras... like I buy a whole chicken or a inexpensive roast but blow my budget on the ingredients for the glaze.... Cheese and quality bread are budget blowers too.
Old 11-26-2008, 07:38 AM   #59
Head Chef

I remember the good old days, when it was about $75 a week. But thats when my kids were much younger.

Now, the regular shopping is about $175 a week.

Produce and dairy store and additional $40

The the specialty stores like asian, indian, health/ vegetarian could add $30 +/-

so im looking somewhere between $200 and $250 a week. ( family of 4, kids 11 and 13 years old, here in new york)
Old 11-26-2008, 08:41 AM   #60
Sous Chef

We shop the specials at the Piggly Wiggly, aka the Wobbly Hog. i figure that if we're paying a good price for the individual items then the total doesn't matter much. If we spend more on one trip, the food just lasts us longer. It's all relative...