"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 12-31-2008, 08:33 AM   #61
Assistant Cook

I really don't know what the two of us spend on food now, but I'd guess we're somewhere around 100/$150 or so a week (if I'm not planning on doing an overly nice meal). We used to keep to more of a budget but after years in uni on a 10 a week food limit, food is one vice I don't feel guilty indulging.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:48 PM   #62
Senior Cook

2 person household. I usually fork out about 1200-1500 a month on foodstuffs, so 350 a week or thereabouts? Obviously not including dining out, which usually happens 1-2 times a week. Number is somewhat skewed though--I pair a lot of my meals with wines. There are the occasional "odd" months where I go significantly higher as well. Those horrible times when one realizes they need to buy another bottle of balsamic vinegar (add $120) or some truffles (dependent on market), have 5guests coming over and wanna do lobsters ($150) or the like.

Old 12-31-2008, 05:51 PM   #63
Senior Cook

I think it depends on the area of the country you live in as well since some states are more expensive to live in than others. For my family of four, I get groceries once per week and spend on average about $100 each week. Sometimes it's more, sometimes less, it just depends upon what we're needing
Old 12-31-2008, 06:04 PM   #64
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post
2 person household. I usually fork out about 1200-1500 a month on foodstuffs, so 350 a week or thereabouts? Obviously not including dining out, which usually happens 1-2 times a week. Number is somewhat skewed though--I pair a lot of my meals with wines. There are the occasional "odd" months where I go significantly higher as well. Those horrible times when one realizes they need to buy another bottle of balsamic vinegar (add $120) or some truffles (dependent on market), have 5guests coming over and wanna do lobsters ($150) or the like.
like wow and more power to you.......differences are just cool with me.
If I did that, my mortgage wouldn't get paid, I'm so not like you but I respect that difference.
Old 12-31-2008, 06:10 PM   #65
Assistant Cook

I have a famly of 6, my husband, myself, an 8,5,4,and 2 year old and I spend around $75 for 2 weeks! We have a grocery outlet store and things are pretty cheap, plus I know all the people who work in the Meat dep. so I get my meat really cheap! Ground chuck for 1.16 lb! that helps! lol
Old 12-31-2008, 06:12 PM   #66
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
like wow and more power to you.......differences are just cool with me.
If I did that, my mortgage wouldn't get paid, I'm so not like you but I respect that difference.
Heh I'm just playing catchup, devoted to not limiting myself now that I've earned some comfort in life. When I put myself through college, I spent my first 2 years living in a tent at a KOA facility (in Boston--winters are cold, eh?), my 3rd year living in the trailer of a semi, and my 4th year in a studio apartment about as big as the closet in my master suite today. Obviously I didn't get to enjoy the finer things. Now I make it a point to not deny myself any comforts in life. You only have so many years on this mudball, I've taken the philosophy I'm not going to waste any of em--which translates into my dining habits, as well.
Old 01-01-2009, 01:38 PM   #67
Cook

Our grocery budget is pretty variable, because the number of people I'm feeding varies so much. Some weeks I'm mostly on my own. Other weeks we've got people dropping in two or three times a week... I think the grocery bill for us kind of depends on the number of vegetarian meals in our menu.

Location does make a huge difference in food prices, though. Whenever I go to other parts of the country - sometimes even other parts of New England! - I'm amazed by how little some things cost.
Old 01-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #68
Head Chef

Well, I just went through December's figures and saw that I spent $637 on food. I live alone but apparently I entertained my family and friends more than I thought. Wow. My food budget is usually around $300 but I have a fully stocked freezer in the garage and a fully stocked freezer in my fridge. Time to go on a diet!
Old 01-01-2009, 02:49 PM   #69
Sous Chef

Send a message via AIM to AMSeccia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Poppinfresh View Post

*gasp*

Can I come live at your house?
Old 01-01-2009, 07:17 PM   #70
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by AMSeccia View Post
*gasp*

Can I come live at your house?
DITTO