"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes
Old 01-01-2009, 06:59 PM   #71
Head Chef
We have a family of almost 3, my daughter lives with us, but spends a lot of time at school or with her boyfriend. Then again, my son lives across the street from us and he makes up for when his sister is not here! Any way, I usually spend about $150.00 a week at the grocery store plus an additional $60.00 to $80.00 for takeout or pub grub.

"You wouldn't know a diamond if you held it in your hand. The things you think are precious I can't understand" STEELY DAN.
JohnL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 09:18 PM   #72
Head Chef
Veggie family of 4 here.
about $150 a week at the regular grocery store
another $50 on produce and dairy
when we are having Indian or chinese and I have to go to the specialty ethnic stores, you can add an additional $25 or so
I remember the good old days when it was just $75 for the 4 of us.

larry_stewart is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 10:57 PM   #73
Master Chef
Well this month was pretty high, which is not surprising considering it is the holidays. We spent around $877 this month. We figured about $670 of that was on groceries including alcohol, snacks, and baking supplies for Christmas and New Years. The rest was on eating out. We had everything divided out so we did a little each day, which meant going out on a daily basis to run errands and unfortunately we were bad and ate out almost every time.
January will be a month where we clamp down on this expense! November was a total of $660 on groceries and $120 on eating out. January will more than likely be $0 for eating out and pretty close to $600 on the groceries.
Maverick2272 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:45 AM   #74
Senior Cook
It's just Mike and I here (and the dog and cat) I'd say for groceries we probably spend between 40-50 a week so 200 a month. Every week I go out and get stuff for new recipes. For me a grocery list is my saving grace, I am so busy looking down reading the list that I rarely reach for things we don't need. I buy off brands for canned beans or veggies. Lots of frozen staples (pastas, meats, even bread freezes well) Stock up on pantry staples if they are on sale. We also make sure to eat our left overs, you'd be surprised how much food can go to waste when you trash day old food. I always pack left overs for lunch or reuse them in tomorrows meals.

We don't eat out too often either, maybe once a week and it's always some where reasonable. In these times you can't be too frugile if you ask me.
snack_pack85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 12:48 AM   #75
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via Yahoo to middie
About 100 bucks a week here for the 3 of us
middie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 01:15 AM   #76
Executive Chef
That is something I need to work on in the new year. I really don't know how much I spend and am a bit too lenient when it comes to impulse buying. Our local grocery (Publix) has lots of BOGO items so I sometimes pick them up when I don't really need them. My pantry and freezers are stocked well and I need to use up lots before I go shopping again. I'm going to be more careful with all my shopping in this new year. I need to be more watchful and elminate waste as sometimes I buy more fresh stuff than what we can use in a short time. This has been a good wake up for me.
Be an organ donor; give your heart to Jesus.
Exercise daily; walk with the Lord.
licia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2009, 02:38 PM   #77
Assistant Cook
For two adults and one child, I usually spend $55.00 a week. That includes all food and paper products. I belong to a product club so we get product at cost- that's helps a lot. I also make almost everything from scratch which cuts the bill down too.
Penguin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:16 PM   #78
Assistant Cook
I am sorry Penguin but what is a product club? I spend $50 to $100 a week for everything and I always have a stocked fridge and pantry. Something I learned from my grandmother. She always said after living through the depression she would never find her pantry empty again.
jayde is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2009, 10:34 PM   #79
Head Chef
My food budget for a month is between $350 and $400 a month for me and my horse.
The luster of shiny new appliances can't compete with the virtues of Vintage: namely durability, simplicity, superior cooking and a cool retro look. http://leoladyshousecollectiblesandg....blogspot.com/
Leolady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 05:05 PM   #80
Sous Chef
Don't really keep track. We do the Costco bit whenever necessary. Go out maybe twice a week.

dave the baker is offline   Reply With Quote