"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 02-10-2009, 06:17 PM   #81
Chef Extraordinaire

i grocery shop on line and have it delivered to my house. i buy for a month and generally spend three hundred for the month. that is everything, paper goods, laundry, etc, and cat stuff. some over the counter meds. i might have to make a trip for milk and bread, in between . only feeding my self. take advantage of the bulk items and freeze in serving portations.it is a lot of work to get the list just right, especially if having guests. i figure that expense into the three hundred. if there is a way to save more, i don't know it. try to take advantage of store card buys and two for one,

Old 02-11-2009, 12:47 AM   #82
Senior Cook

Since I grow and preserve a lot of veggies and have access to fresh meat from Dad and neighbors I usually spend only about $45 - $60 a week mostly for cat and dog food and paper stuff and some stuff I don't grow or have.

Old 04-17-2009, 03:21 PM   #83
Assistant Cook

Bodybuilder Budget

I EAT! About 300 grams of lean protein, 300 grams of carbs, 100 grams good fats per day. I love cooking new stuff. I tend to buy meat on sale or whenever its <$2/lb. I stick to the basics and have people over for dinner about once a week. I never eat out. My budget per week hovers around $85-100/ week.
Old 04-17-2009, 05:12 PM   #84
Sous Chef

I don't try to stick to one at all. With the fluctuations in prices around the country and even in the different cities, I'd go nuts trying to stick to one.
It depends on what I want to cook that week, what we're hungry for or how labor intensive we want our food to be. In Florida I was used to having fruits and veg whenever I wanted. Here in Texas you have to pay for what you want. And a lot of things come from Mexico here instead of the warmer US states.
But one drawback in Florida was tourist season/vacation season made prices rise. So did Snowbird season when all the Northerners came down to get warm. Up the prices went.
Old 05-03-2009, 11:41 PM   #85
Senior Cook

For my current family of 8 we spend about $100-$150 a week.

I find that we don't spend much more than anyone else. We just have fewer left overs. We have not been out to eat a dinner in over 2 months.

This week I started a weekly menu that is posted on the fridge. I leave an open spot for suggestions for the next week.

We have been pretty fortunate in that people give us their food storage when they can not consume the stuff that is expiring. We even had a neighbor drop off lots of hamburger from a cow they had slaughtered.

Tonight we had spaghetti. I think the only thing that was not expired was the french bread. But it tasted ok and I am sure we will all make it through the night.
Old 05-04-2009, 10:10 AM   #86
Sous Chef

I try to stick to a budget of 400chf(Swiss francs equivalent to 530 US dollars) per week for the whole family on our grocery shopping.
Old 05-04-2009, 11:47 AM   #87
Sous Chef

Dumpandstir, it would be great if we lived close to each other. There's always a lot of BOGO here and since there's only 2 of us we don't use a lot of stuff before it would spoil. I bought a quart of strawberries over the weekend that was buy one get one free and had to leave the other quart there because we just wouldn't eat them all. (I don't like them frozen)
Old 05-04-2009, 08:14 PM   #88
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by chefkathleen View Post
Dumpandstir, it would be great if we lived close to each other. I bought a quart of strawberries over the weekend that was buy one get one free and had to leave the other quart there because we just wouldn't eat them all. (I don't like them frozen)

Yeah, we could share the savings. My kids plow through food, and either they are not too picky or I am a fantastic cook.
Old 05-04-2009, 08:18 PM   #89
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jikoni View Post
I try to stick to a budget of 400chf(Swiss francs equivalent to 530 US dollars) per week for the whole family on our grocery shopping.
Jikoni, is that not a typo, the value of $>2000 US dollars per month for food? Is food that expensive or your family that big? Where are you that you spend so much?
Please, if you feel this is too intrusive, just ignore me, I just can't imagine that kind of budget. Thank you, ~Bliss
Old 05-05-2009, 12:08 PM   #90
Sous Chef

Quote:
Yeah, we could share the savings. My kids plow through food, and either they are not too picky or I am a fantastic cook.
Let's vote B, you're a fantastic cook! LOL
There's always 5lb potatoes BOGO,etc.