"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 02-16-2011, 04:21 PM   #111
Chef Extraordinaire

I cut the electricity bill by not running the dryer (clothes hang to dry in front of the woodstove). I also only wash clothes with cold water and have the hot water tank on a timer. We're swapping the H2O tank for a smaller one. DH is making a stainless steel boiler to add to the wood stove (he can make/design ANYTHING). Between the two of us, we don't use as much hot water as the tank holds...and with rising electricity costs in Ontario, this seemed like one thing we could control. Also don't use the dishwasher. We're not on time-of-day usage rates at the farm, yet, but that's coming.

It used to be, I would decide what I wanted to make, make my grocery list, and get what I needed. Now I hop on the Internet, browse my cookbooks, hop on this forum and see what I can make with what I've got or what is on special. For example, I got ricotta and philly cheese at 1/2 price this week...still trying to figure out what to do with the philly...(those mushroom caps were very nice stuffed with cream cheese and bacon). Supposedly philly doesn't freeze well BUT you can make cream cheese frosting (omitting the sugar--add that when you thaw it) and freeze that. Might be one of the things I'll do. Supposedly ricotta does freeze. I only use it for lasagna and other such things.

I'm looking forward to garden season...the leeks have sprouted, as has the celery...waiting for the peppers to germinate. I look at leeks in the store and say "ha! I have leeks from the garden still in the freezer!"

Old 02-16-2011, 04:58 PM   #112
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Oatmeal in 25 lb bag from healthfood store $13.00. QUaker for the supermart would cost about $50.00
Bottled water - none. Tap water is free.
Herbs - home grown - practically free

Old 02-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #113
Executive Chef

Making sandwiches from home cooked meats instead of salt laden cold cuts.
Old 02-17-2011, 04:30 PM   #114
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
Making sandwiches from home cooked meats instead of salt laden cold cuts.
This is what I do also. I cook turkey breast, ham, and roast beef. I also make my own corned beef and Pastrami. I let meat get cold and then slice it with my meat slicer. Saves money, and I know what is in it.

Josie
Old 02-17-2011, 04:48 PM   #115
Executive Chef

It would be nice, Josie, if you would tell us how you make your Pastrami.
Old 02-17-2011, 05:37 PM   #116
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by justplainbill View Post
It would be nice, Josie, if you would tell us how you make your Pastrami.
This is the recipe I use to make corned beef. After it is corned I rub it with Coarse black pepper and any other seasoning I want and smoke it untill tender,I usally smoke it for about 6 hours. Then I usually steam it or pressure cook it for 15 to 30 minutes if it isn't tender.

Corned Venison Brining using Foodsaver

Josie
Old 02-27-2013, 12:47 AM   #117
Assistant Cook

I find that buying our favorite meat when they are on sale and store them in the freezer not only saves us a lot of money, but also allow us to enjoy what we like without having to pay the full price.
and also, I find that buying only the vegetables we need for the week, this way the vegetables don't go bad if we don't eat them within the week.
We love fruits and smoothies, so i buy the fruits in bulk when they are on sale and freeze them in the freezer, even the bananas, so that whenever we want a smoothies, we can just take the fruits out of the freezer, and don't even need the ice.
We live in an apartment, so we receive all kinds of flyers every week, this allow me to compare the prices between different grocery stores, and go to different store to buy different things we need and also on sale.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:13 PM   #118
Cook

I do this a variety of ways.
I try to stay away from pre-prepared foods, I make most of what I can when I have the time. It doesn't always work (like..I don't make my own cheeses when I eat them).

Though another way is by reducing the amount of dairy I consume and I don't eat meat at all.
Old 09-14-2016, 03:37 PM   #119
Master Chef

such great ideas......`i remember when my husband and `i were first married a hundred years ago and he had killed a deer right before we married........we ate deer meat for a full year..........you had to be inventive........to this day `i can not look at venison without visual disturbanaces.....at least they're far more options out there..........
Old 09-14-2016, 04:38 PM   #120
Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by expatgirl View Post
such great ideas......`i remember when my husband and `i were first married a hundred years ago and he had killed a deer right before we married........we ate deer meat for a full year..........you had to be inventive........to this day `i can not look at venison without visual disturbanaces.....at least they're far more options out there..........
Wow :O

Texas native in Kazakhstan? what a change. Why'd you move there?