"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 09-15-2016, 06:55 PM   #141
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...I like a glass of wine most nights. Yes, it's an indulgence. But I make my own for an average cost of $2-5 per bottle. I go through two bottles a week....
But IS it an indulgence, Steve? Sometimes when there is a certain food you really enjoy, just a small amount of a quality, inexpensive treat (for general sipping, my unrefined palate is happy with a decent boxed variety) makes a very economical meal more enjoyable.

Growing up, and now with having raised our own family, we have been very fortunate in not having to decide between buying food or paying a bill. That does not mean that we've never watched how we spent money. In my opinion, I think frugality to the point of denial isn't worthwhile. Even a weekly treat can make saving a more enjoyable challenge.

As Snoopy says

Old 09-15-2016, 08:21 PM   #142
Head Chef

I feel I did my dues with 4 kids. I only worked sporadically. So I enjoy myself now that I am a single empty nester. If I want steak (which is extremely rare for me to want) I will keep an eye out for something on special and get it.

But even still after all these years it is a little bit ingrained now... have a hard time convincing myself that $55 regular per kilo is a good deal at $49 per kilo.

For a while I actually spent more on my animals than myself. But now the tables are turned... me first! Including my wine! A heck of a lot more than 2 bottles a week Steve!... don't be so stingy! LOL

Old 09-15-2016, 09:45 PM   #143
Wine Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
But IS it an indulgence, Steve? Sometimes when there is a certain food you really enjoy, just a small amount of a quality, inexpensive treat (for general sipping, my unrefined palate is happy with a decent boxed variety) makes a very economical meal more enjoyable.

Growing up, and now with having raised our own family, we have been very fortunate in not having to decide between buying food or paying a bill. That does not mean that we've never watched how we spent money. In my opinion, I think frugality to the point of denial isn't worthwhile. Even a weekly treat can make saving a more enjoyable challenge.
Since we know each other on Facebook, you know that I'm moving shortly. Because of that I've had a death grip on money for the last few months, and especially now, as my closing is right around the corner. So it's meals at home most nights. I'll be very happy when I can have an occasional night out again.

Normally, I pick and choose my indulgences. I enjoy living that way. I'm frugal over here so I can be a little loose over there. I do like to surround myself with nice things without being extravagant.

And I also have to add that my homemade wine is actually pretty good. I'm not suffering by any means. Although it only costs me only a few dollars to make myself, the grapes come from places where one would normally expect to pay $20-30 a bottle if someone else were making it.
Old 09-15-2016, 11:58 PM   #144
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Kroll View Post
...Normally, I pick and choose my indulgences. I enjoy living that way. I'm frugal over here so I can be a little loose over there. I do like to surround myself with nice things without being extravagant...
Once again, you make my point so much more eloquently. Thanks.
Old 09-16-2016, 02:01 AM   #145
Sous Chef

Taxlady: I belong to the blondish same and get your not stunning enough to be from up North. Sorry my hair is reddish blond due to my father.

Oh the politics.
Old 09-16-2016, 04:09 AM   #146
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Yeah, my full blooded Sámi farmor (from a reindeer herding family) "became Swedish". Don't get me started on who counts as Sámi. We aren't supposed to get political here. (I get political on FaceBook and joined a number of Sámi groups.) I look Sámi enough (Asian eyes, dark hair 162 cm tall) that I don't pass for Swedish, even when I spoke fluent Swedish and my accent was good enough that people in Skĺne thought I was from Stockholm. I have been called rude things in Sweden.
I remember when you first mentioned you were Sami. I personally was fascinated with that. As I mentioned, the Sami were the very first people I learned about outside my own country. And I still am fascinated with them. I guess you could say I am secretly in envy of them. They do have a more free and rustic lifestyle.

I guess I have never seen a close up picture of a Sami. I had no idea that they have Asian eyes. I don't understand the national attitude toward them. When using eye makeup, we do everything we can to make our eyes look Asian. Go figure.
Old 09-16-2016, 06:07 AM   #147
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by CakePoet View Post
Taxlady: I belong to the blondish same and get your not stunning enough to be from up North. Sorry my hair is reddish blond due to my father.

Oh the politics.
Attached Images

Old 09-16-2016, 06:30 AM   #148
Master Chef

`katie `h........`i remember so vividly how your hubby, Buck, helped me, the Chosen ``Leader of internet idiots, post pictures.....he was so sweet and helpful and talked me through every step, my goodness he had such patience......you really are an angel and mother of 8 children......if `i may ask how many grandkids to you get to kiss? `i only have one......and she is now 13......sigh.....
Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 AM   #149
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragnlaw View Post
I feel I did my dues with 4 kids. I only worked sporadically. So I enjoy myself now that I am a single empty nester. If I want steak (which is extremely rare for me to want) I will keep an eye out for something on special and get it.

But even still after all these years it is a little bit ingrained now... have a hard time convincing myself that $55 regular per kilo is a good deal at $49 per kilo.

For a while I actually spent more on my animals than myself. But now the tables are turned... me first! Including my wine! A heck of a lot more than 2 bottles a week Steve!... don't be so stingy! LOL
have to laugh......we had 2 rugrats....one was hyperactive......into everything that wasn't nailed down.......had to pull him out of a freezer unit in the grocery store because he was looking at the temperature gauge.........baby powdered his entire bedroom at age 3.......and proudly showed me his toy box that was liberally sprinkled as well....the list goes on....and now is a police officer..and as for his sister.......she's became a lawyer and `i never could win an argument with her in high
school.......need `i go on.....that we stopped with 2 kids.....`i couldn't bear the though of more surprises!!! `i had no energy left
Old 09-16-2016, 07:43 AM   #150
Cook

This thread really took a turn for the interesting. It's nice to hear about life from many perspectives different from my own. I'm 30 and my wife and I decided not to have kids, so it is interesting to hear about another time and different families.