"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-25-2010, 10:49 AM   #21
Senior Cook

Thanks for the responses all. I've concluded that it's just constant vigilence to keeping track of prices/sales and preventing food waste. I wish we had a house with a yard so we could garden but we are stuck in an apartment. We tried the community garden thing but it was a 20 minute drive on top of a full time job and 3 little ones 4 and under so it didn't work out; I was sad.

Old 10-25-2010, 11:38 AM   #22
Assistant Cook

Hey if you like premium cuts of meats and organic foods there's no dishonor in continuing to indulge yourself. You're already ahead of the curve starting from scratch and buying in bulk.

Sure, saving money is important but it sounds to me that you're not 'wasting money' either. Sometimes that can be just as important...so go ahead snickerdoodle, enjoy life and cook what you and yours are happy with.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:16 PM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
This thread has been percolating in my head.

I make Homemade Quark / German Quark and use it instead of cream cheese. When I make it, or stock, or just about anything else that usually uses cheese cloth, I use an old tea towel instead. I boil the tea towel in a pot of water on my stove just prior to using it and after I'm done. I set a timer - I already burned one tea towel o_O
Old 10-25-2010, 12:52 PM   #24
Senior Cook

Does tea towel = flour sack towel? I have cheesecloth but if I remember right, it was expensive... is that normal? I know my fave dollar store has flour sack towels. I definitely need to try the quark!!
Old 10-25-2010, 01:24 PM   #25
Senior Cook

I can't stand wasting food, so any leftover soups and stews are portioned off into food safe containers, labelled and dated, and put in the freezer to be used within one month. As my family is big, that can really save some money. I say "use within one month" only because it helps keep the freezer shelves tidy and ship-shape, and ensures any food can be used again and eaten up.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:32 PM   #26
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
Does tea towel = flour sack towel? I have cheesecloth but if I remember right, it was expensive... is that normal? I know my fave dollar store has flour sack towels. I definitely need to try the quark!!
A tea towel is the thing you dry dishes with. If the flour sack towels are cotton or linen or hemp or something else natural, they would work. Wash it a couple of times to get any sizing (starch) and anything else out before the first food use. I would bleach them first if there is any dye used on them. Rinse really well.

I find cheese cloth too expensive and you can't reuse it and it's so loosely woven that stuff gets stuck in it, so you end up throwing away perfectly good quark or yoghurt cheese or whatever.
Old 10-25-2010, 01:59 PM   #27
Assistant Cook

The way that i save money is making sure that i make a list and have my buget when i go to the store and make sure that i dont compromise in either. I feel that when i do not have a list i buy random things and when i do my money is spent more wisely. I think sticking to a budget is important too because you know what items to buy stor brand and those items that you buy name brand. Always look for deals and when something you use often is on sale go ahead and get a few to last for a while.
Old 10-25-2010, 02:03 PM   #28
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
A tea towel is the thing you dry dishes with. If the flour sack towels are cotton or linen or hemp or something else natural, they would work. Wash it a couple of times to get any sizing (starch) and anything else out before the first food use. I would bleach them first if there is any dye used on them. Rinse really well.

I find cheese cloth too expensive and you can't reuse it and it's so loosely woven that stuff gets stuck in it, so you end up throwing away perfectly good quark or yoghurt cheese or whatever.
I forgot to specify that a tea towel is not made of terry cloth
Old 10-28-2010, 05:16 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

One of the things I always buy is the 10# bag of chicken legs. My last purchase was $5.78 at WalMart. When they have them at the Sav-A-Lot it is usually around $4.49.

After putting away my groceries I put the bag of legs in the sink and rinse each one and cut the drumsticks off of the thigh. Using sandwich size zip bags, I put each thigh in a bag and several drumsticks in another until it is full. I immediately stack these in the freezer. This time they were huge, but I still ended up with 7 thighs and 2 bags of drumsticks. For me that's 9 meals with leftovers too.

I also buy Bar-S type smoked sausages. Usually the package is 3# and costs $3.99. It contains 16 nice size sausages and I use them, usually 2 at a time in Chili, Jambalaya, etc. That's 8 meals also with leftovers.

The cheapest ground sausage works fine. All you have to do is add a little poultry seasoning or sage. I find that most recipes.for me, need only 1/3#, like sausage gravy. I get two servings of that, or if I make with stuffing I get a casserole dish of 4 servings total. Both these recipe use 1/2 or a whole onion which helps to stretch the dish.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:29 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniellecharmaine View Post
The way that i save money is making sure that i make a list and have my buget when i go to the store and make sure that i dont compromise in either. I feel that when i do not have a list i buy random things and when i do my money is spent more wisely. I think sticking to a budget is important too because you know what items to buy stor brand and those items that you buy name brand. Always look for deals and when something you use often is on sale go ahead and get a few to last for a while.

You are so right. I make my list as I decide what I want to make and what I am about to run out of. Anything and everything that I think of. Then, a couple of days before shopping, I review the list. If it's affordable, fine. If not, then I decide which recipes to hold off on and remove those items from the list. By the time I go shopping, I know I have everything I need and can afford on the list. I rewrite the list to match my path through the store. That way I rarely have to go back for something.

Before I check out, I stop and review it to make sure I got everything. If I missed something I either go back and get it or decide I don't need it.

If I see something I'd like to splurge on I have a good idea of whether or not I can afford it. It's good sometimes to treat yourself if you can.

I get paid by the month, so I shop for the month. Lists work.

It is so satisfying to get home from shopping and know you have everything you need.

The bad part about going without a list and buying random things is that you get home and nothing goes together without ingredients you didn't buy.

If you can't see the bright side of life, polish the dull side.
Zhizara is offline   Reply With Quote