"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-28-2010, 06:52 PM   #31
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uncle Bob View Post
By being keenly aware of the markets in my area.....
Buying bulk/quantity when feasible....
Having a Zero tolerance attitude for waste....
That's one of the nice things about having a dog...ours is a "pot-licker."

Old 10-28-2010, 06:54 PM   #32
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Constance View Post
That's one of the nice things about having a dog...ours is a "pot-licker."
Pre-rinse cycle for the dishwasher ;-)

Old 10-28-2010, 07:59 PM   #33
Chef Extraordinaire

i shop on line at von's for a month at a time. that way i only pay the 7.00 del. charge once. i do much the same as other people here. i do buy family sizes of chicken and fish. portion them out for myself for a meal. can always thaw more if i have company. i usually have at least one full sized meat portions for guests i invited. such as game hens or pork chops. buy most when they are on sale.

i can add or remove product even if i sent order. i scour " buy one get one free" and and check out bargains. i do plan some menu recipes. buy all i need at one time. really had a big order to be delivered this time. stocking up on items for holiday cooking. i have ordered on line for almost four hours. they bring into the house and separate the perishables from staples for me.

when i took cab (don't drive) to shop the bill was 10.00 for the round trip and i had to bring in myself. not so easy at my age.

all in all this is just a wonderful way for me to shop. i buy one serving ( most of the time) of veggies. no waste then. try to have little waste.
Old 10-31-2010, 01:58 PM   #34
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by forty_caliber View Post
The biggest challenge with saving money by buying bulk items is storage. To avoid waste, contamination, and spoilage containers are a must. Where would you store 25 pounds of flour at your residence?

In 5 gallon food grade buckets with a lid, < $5.00 at Home Depot. In the fruit cellar in the basement. (I've used bay leaves to keep the moths away, and I hear but have not tried diatomatious earth as a second way to keep bugs away)(ADDED: Also freezing will kill the larvae but I find this difficult with large amounts, trying to fit them in the freezer when it is full.)

Saving money--provide homemade food, less processing = better nutrition, = less salt, = less additives, =less watered down, by making it from unprocessed ingredients (garden produce can be organic, lean meats/fish/poultry). The density in nutrition/calories of homemade homegrown foods is most likely higher than processed foods and the fillers that are used. Hence more nutrition/calories (nutrition=vitamins, minerals, calories=well, you know what those are) than buying premade items.

3 bags of groceries of produce/meat/fish/poultry/fruits/grain/cheeses

> (is greater than--in my humble opinion)

3 bags of groceries of frozen lasagna (that tastes like tomato soup with noodles) canned soups, dehydrated potatoes, chips, processed cheese spread, white bread, ho-ho's/twinkies, chocolate milk, bag of snickers (yum), cocokrispies cereal and instant tea powder. They may even cost the same in $$ upfront not including your health.

I'm not saying I never purchase anything on the second list, just rarely, and it's usually a disappointment to me (DARN, eating snickers, I forgot it wasn't on my healthy diet!). Even canned soups when I get them for free I dilute them with real produce.

I have a little story: I was among 4 women and 5 men at a family gathering a number of years back. We were 'schooled' (scolded) from the elderly heavy woman (not that I haven't gained any weight in past years--but still within good norms), that we should provide fake butter, fake sour cream, bread with wood fiber, any number of sugar substitutes to provide a similar diet to hers especially when she came to visit. Now, I'm a firm believer that eating good nutritious unprocessed food (or at least home processed) in moderation will be better than all of this fake stuff. As I looked at the Thanksgiving pictures I realized I was at least 100 lbs under the weight of anyone elses weight. I'm not sure she should have been the one to provide all the advice for nutrition at that point. She was spending twice as much to get half the nutrition.
Enough of my stories! It just makes me chuckle.

Lastly, to keep track of food prices, just write them down in a little notebook kept with your checkbook, price/lb or price/ounce and location, then you'll know when something is a good deal, a sale price is not always a good deal, nor is a bigger container if it costs more per ounce.
Do you have a story, how do you save money?
Old 10-31-2010, 04:43 PM   #35
Master Chef

My goodness, there is a WEALTH of information on this thread!! My newlywed son asked me the other day about how to save money on his WAY out of line food bill. I gave him some pointers, but I'm going to print this out for them. Thank you all so much.

Babe, I'm so glad your online shopping is working out, that's wonderful !!
I was raised in a "mom and pop" grocery store, and when I was a little girl I'd help my daddy with home grocery deliveries. Nobody locked their doors in those days, and if they weren't home, we'd go into to kitchen to put the perishables away for them. Naturally, it was free delivery but it's wonderful that Von's charges only seven dollars for such a wonderful service! I'm so picky about produce, do you have a problem with getting top of the line produce chosen for you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by babetoo View Post
i shop on line at von's for a month at a time. that way i only pay the 7.00 del. charge once. i do much the same as other people here. i do buy family sizes of chicken and fish. portion them out for myself for a meal. can always thaw more if i have company. i usually have at least one full sized meat portions for guests i invited. such as game hens or pork chops. buy most when they are on sale.

i can add or remove product even if i sent order. i scour " buy one get one free" and and check out bargains. i do plan some menu recipes. buy all i need at one time. really had a big order to be delivered this time. stocking up on items for holiday cooking. i have ordered on line for almost four hours. they bring into the house and separate the perishables from staples for me.

when i took cab (don't drive) to shop the bill was 10.00 for the round trip and i had to bring in myself. not so easy at my age.

all in all this is just a wonderful way for me to shop. i buy one serving ( most of the time) of veggies. no waste then. try to have little waste.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 09:36 PM   #36
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
My goodness, there is a WEALTH of information on this thread!! My newlywed son asked me the other day about how to save money on his WAY out of line food bill. I gave him some pointers, but I'm going to print this out for them. Thank you all so much.

Babe, I'm so glad your on line shopping is working out, that's wonderful !!
I was raised in a "mom and pop" grocery store, and when I was a little girl I'd help my daddy with home grocery deliveries. Nobody locked their doors in those days, and if they weren't home, we'd go into to kitchen to put the perishables away for them. Naturally, it was free delivery but it's wonderful that Von's charges only seven dollars for such a wonderful service! I'm so picky about produce, do you have a problem with getting top of the line produce chosen for you?

still occasionally have problems with produce that is to big, ie onions, etc. the kids that do the shopping seem to think big is better. not so with most veggies. there is a spot for special instructions and will some times state , "small ones please" don't always remember to do that, though.
Old 11-01-2010, 10:26 AM   #37
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by blissful View Post
Lastly, to keep track of food prices, just write them down in a little notebook kept with your checkbook, price/lb or price/ounce and location, then you'll know when something is a good deal, a sale price is not always a good deal, nor is a bigger container if it costs more per ounce.
Do you have a story, how do you save money?
That's a good idea to write prices down. Grocery shopping is such a project anymore. When I go, I have with me: the list, coupons, calculator, WIC vouchers, and now, a notebook to write prices down. I need a new purse to hold all these things. My step mom always said that as you get older your purse gets bigger, boy was she right LOL.

On Saturday, dh made a trip to the grocery store (which is always kind of scary) and he came back with I think 5 bags of groceries that cost $80. He walked in the door and the first thing he said was, "I'm not good at grocery shopping, you are way better at it." Granted, he had bought 2 packages of diapers ($15) and a bottle of Irish cream liquor ($10). But I still was choking on the cost. On the plus side, I was happy to hear him say I was good at grocery shopping because it's something I've really been working hard on.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:09 PM   #38
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
On Saturday, dh made a trip to the grocery store (which is always kind of scary) and he came back with I think 5 bags of groceries that cost $80. He walked in the door and the first thing he said was, "I'm not good at grocery shopping, you are way better at it." Granted, he had bought 2 packages of diapers ($15) and a bottle of Irish cream liquor ($10). But I still was choking on the cost. On the plus side, I was happy to hear him say I was good at grocery shopping because it's something I've really been working hard on.
Ooops...you just got the job for life!
Old 11-01-2010, 02:26 PM   #39
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post

Wow, you must have much cheaper groceries where you live than I have here. I would be posting "Woohoo! The hubster got 5 bags of groceries for only $80 and that included booze."
Old 11-01-2010, 02:41 PM   #40
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
Wow, you must have much cheaper groceries where you live than I have here. I would be posting "Woohoo! The hubster got 5 bags of groceries for only $80 and that included booze."
It's all relative I guess

Fiona, I don't mind the job if it provides significant savings. One day, when we're independently wealthy he can do all the shopping