Where do you save $$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
...I like a glass of wine most nights. Yes, it's an indulgence. But I make my own for an average cost of $2-5 per bottle. I go through two bottles a week....
But IS it an indulgence, Steve? Sometimes when there is a certain food you really enjoy, just a small amount of a quality, inexpensive treat (for general sipping, my unrefined palate is happy with a decent boxed variety) makes a very economical meal more enjoyable.

Growing up, and now with having raised our own family, we have been very fortunate in not having to decide between buying food or paying a bill. That does not mean that we've never watched how we spent money. In my opinion, I think frugality to the point of denial isn't worthwhile. Even a weekly treat can make saving a more enjoyable challenge.

As Snoopy says

070a8c0c0e844b4a437b1ab45c71dc53.jpg

I feel I did my dues with 4 kids. I only worked sporadically. So I enjoy myself now that I am a single empty nester. If I want steak (which is extremely rare for me to want) I will keep an eye out for something on special and get it.

But even still after all these years it is a little bit ingrained now... have a hard time convincing myself that $55 regular per kilo is a good deal at $49 per kilo.

For a while I actually spent more on my animals than myself. But now the tables are turned... me first! Including my wine! A heck of a lot more than 2 bottles a week Steve!... don't be so stingy! LOL

But IS it an indulgence, Steve? Sometimes when there is a certain food you really enjoy, just a small amount of a quality, inexpensive treat (for general sipping, my unrefined palate is happy with a decent boxed variety) makes a very economical meal more enjoyable.

Growing up, and now with having raised our own family, we have been very fortunate in not having to decide between buying food or paying a bill. That does not mean that we've never watched how we spent money. In my opinion, I think frugality to the point of denial isn't worthwhile. Even a weekly treat can make saving a more enjoyable challenge.
Since we know each other on Facebook, you know that I'm moving shortly. Because of that I've had a death grip on money for the last few months, and especially now, as my closing is right around the corner. So it's meals at home most nights. I'll be very happy when I can have an occasional night out again.

Normally, I pick and choose my indulgences. I enjoy living that way. I'm frugal over here so I can be a little loose over there. I do like to surround myself with nice things without being extravagant.

And I also have to add that my homemade wine is actually pretty good. I'm not suffering by any means. Although it only costs me only a few dollars to make myself, the grapes come from places where one would normally expect to pay $20-30 a bottle if someone else were making it. :)

Last edited:
Taxlady: I belong to the blondish same and get your not stunning enough to be from up North. Sorry my hair is reddish blond due to my father.

Oh the politics.

Yeah, my full blooded Sámi farmor (from a reindeer herding family) "became Swedish". Don't get me started on who counts as Sámi. We aren't supposed to get political here. (I get political on FaceBook and joined a number of Sámi groups.) I look Sámi enough (Asian eyes, dark hair 162 cm tall) that I don't pass for Swedish, even when I spoke fluent Swedish and my accent was good enough that people in Skåne thought I was from Stockholm. I have been called rude things in Sweden.

I remember when you first mentioned you were Sami. I personally was fascinated with that. As I mentioned, the Sami were the very first people I learned about outside my own country. And I still am fascinated with them. I guess you could say I am secretly in envy of them. They do have a more free and rustic lifestyle.

I guess I have never seen a close up picture of a Sami. I had no idea that they have Asian eyes. I don't understand the national attitude toward them. When using eye makeup, we do everything we can to make our eyes look Asian. Go figure. :angel:

`katie `h........`i remember so vividly how your hubby, Buck, helped me, the Chosen ``Leader of internet idiots, post pictures.....he was so sweet and helpful and talked me through every step, my goodness he had such patience......you really are an angel and mother of 8 children......if `i may ask how many grandkids to you get to kiss? `i only have one......and she is now 13......sigh.....

I feel I did my dues with 4 kids. I only worked sporadically. So I enjoy myself now that I am a single empty nester. If I want steak (which is extremely rare for me to want) I will keep an eye out for something on special and get it.

But even still after all these years it is a little bit ingrained now... have a hard time convincing myself that $55 regular per kilo is a good deal at $49 per kilo.

For a while I actually spent more on my animals than myself. But now the tables are turned... me first! Including my wine! A heck of a lot more than 2 bottles a week Steve!... don't be so stingy! LOL

have to laugh......we had 2 rugrats....one was hyperactive......into everything that wasn't nailed down.......had to pull him out of a freezer unit in the grocery store because he was looking at the temperature gauge.........baby powdered his entire bedroom at age 3.......and proudly showed me his toy box that was liberally sprinkled as well....the list goes on....and now is a police officer..and as for his sister.......she's became a lawyer and `i never could win an argument with her in high
school.......need `i go on.....that we stopped with 2 kids.....`i couldn't bear the though of more surprises!!! `i had no energy left:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

This thread really took a turn for the interesting. It's nice to hear about life from many perspectives different from my own. I'm 30 and my wife and I decided not to have kids, so it is interesting to hear about another time and different families.

This thread really took a turn for the interesting. It's nice to hear about life from many perspectives different from my own.my I'm 30 and wife and I decided not to have kids, so it is interesting to hear about another time and different families.

Welcome to the movement! ZPG that is, even though it started back in the '60's.

that's what's fun about having kids......your life is upside down and you learn to adapt..........well almost......but it's not boring........`i wasn't for having kids either.....my hubby said he would help me with the kids.......hahahaha! Actually you really start to appreciate them when they hit the 30's......

`katie `h........`i remember so vividly how your hubby, Buck, helped me, the Chosen ``Leader of internet idiots, post pictures.....he was so sweet and helpful and talked me through every step, my goodness he had such patience......you really are an angel and mother of 8 children......if `i may ask how many grandkids to you get to kiss? `i only have one......and she is now 13......sigh.....

Grandchildren? To date, 16, with two more due. One in February and another in March. A boy and a girl. Different families.

That would be it.

Just as an explanatory tangent, when I married the first time (back in the Dark Ages), I married a widower with a toddler son. That's child number one.

For whatever reason, I was told I could never have any children but through modern, at the time, fertility advances, I did have three of my own. And, now there's four.

Not terribly long after my youngest was born, my father died and left my 4 siblings, none of whom our mother wanted. Fortunately, for them, I had the desire and means to "adopt" three of them. The oldest was about to become of age, within months, so no issue. Now we're up to 7, but I made arrangements for the next oldest to live with a close family friend to enable him to complete his high school years without interruption and the chaos of a new environment, losing old friends, etc.

So, in a way, down to 6. Then, through all this and it was going on before my siblings came on the scene, Mr. Wonderful turned out to be not so wonderful and he split. Had nothing to do with the family situation. Questionable things at work (sex trafficking, drugs, money issues), etc. The list was long and he was quite skilled at keeping everything hidden. Nice kettle of fish, yes?

A couple of years pass and I meet Buck, of whom some of you have knowledge. He came with baggage, two sons. Same age, almost to the month, of two of my birth children. Like having two sets of twins. Their mother's idea of parenthood was less than stellar, so they became "ours" and now we have 8.

It was a wild ride sometimes but we were incredibly lucky in that, from the beginning, everyone got along and our "blended family" blended without any visible lines. To the extent that we'd take the children shopping, meet an acquaintance of either Buck or mine who would unknowingly comment that "x" boy looked so much like his mother (me). Not mine, but we just smiled and accepted the compliment.

All of those events were more than an education. I had less than 7 years with my first husband, but I had a fabulous 32 with Buck. His shoulders were wide and strong. They had to be with the dynamic family we'd created.

Now we return to the program already in progress.

Katie: Giving birth doesnt give you right to call your self mother, love does. That is what a friend told me and the only wise thing my mother have said to me is It not the children fault they are here, so love them.

That is what I do, my two oldest are not bio kids, but they are mine and I love them with all my heart, as much as I love my only bio kid. Yes my youngest daughter is the knot that ties the families together and I found out after I got her, I am technically sterile. And I also had a Mr Nice who turned out to be a troll... bad one. But now I have a grumpy Scot who is perfect for me.

Back
Top Bottom