Where do you save $$$

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
It's all relative I guess :)

Fiona, I don't mind the job if it provides significant savings. One day, when we're independently wealthy he can do all the shopping :LOL:

My Mother's first shopping trip on her own was her last for many, many years. She spent Dad's whole Air Force Pay (once a month) on enough real food for a few days, chocolate covered cherries, Russell Stover chocolates, pies and cakes. And she forgot Dad's cigarettes.:ROFLMAO:

I don't remember her shopping on her own until I was out of school and on my own.

I never put the oven or dishwasher on unless they are full, I grow my own veg ect, I try to plan so I can use leftovers, I buy meat from a local abattoir/farm shop, I buy my fish in bulk from Manchester wholesale fish market(opens 2.30am till 6.30 am) vacuum seal and freeze.

You can also save money if you make ingredients on your own

For example vanilla sugar or pasta

I make my own laundry soap, I make most of my own sauces, I can and freeze in season when prices are lower. I try to keep the lights turned off when not in the room, I put on a sweater and keep the heat lower. I live in an older house, so I made draft stoppers and put them in drafty places. I use coupons, shop sales, and buy in bulk if it helps cut cost (sometimes it doesn't.)

I try to manage my money and limit eating out. That's generally what I do to try to save money, but I agree if you are buying good quality ingredients, your food budget starts to creep up.

I like to cut costs other ways, and let it compensate for my food spending for quality goods. You only get one body after all, and I don't want to be preserved like a twinkie!

Another way I save on my meat costs is this- Our local grocery store does a 5 for $20 on certain meats for the week. It ranges anywhere from ny strips and other steaks, pork chops, chicken, stew meats, 90% burger, and they are all family packs(I break them down into 2 portions each.) As a newly married couple, that feeds the two of us for a month!

I'm a new member, and a stay-at-home Dad for going on 2 years now. At first it was hard to be home, and both my wife and I used to hate going to the grocery. But I've really learned to love it - planning menus, making the shopping list, doing the shopping, and preparing the meals! I know more about our grocery stores than I ever have. My attention to this stuff was forced upon discovering I am now a Type 1 diabetic. The truth is, the way diabetics have to eat is the way everyone should eat!

You're in a wonderful place for diabetics. Several here are learning about how to make substitutions, what works, what doesn't.

You should feel right at home here. Welcome to DC.

Welcome to DC, I cook for a diabetic and I am an RN in my day job, lots of diabetics in my life!

You are braver than me. Have you read all the chemicals that they usually put in the salad mixes. I only (rarely) buy the organic ones.

Yes, but I'm strong. And I refuse to pay extra for organics.
I should really be concerned about my daily, multiple consumption of Diet Coke instead. That's what's going to kill me first, if anything....:LOL:

I should really be concerned about my daily, multiple consumption of Diet Coke instead. That's what's going to kill me first, if anything....:LOL:

...at least you will die nicely preserved...:ohmy:

I agree about the Diet Coke - you know that aspartame was originally a rat poison, don't you.

Point of interest - why do you refuse to pay extra for organics?

Nothing against organics, I'm just cheap when it comes to buying food.....

I'm kinda cheap too. At the moment I only get organic produce that is too high on list of foods with pesticide residue. I figure poor health is expensive too. Besides, a lot of organic produce tastes better, here in Canada. I was shocked to find out that wasn't the case in California.

I don't buy organics either.
I can't afford to pay double just because they use composted manure instead of chemical fertilizers. Or double because it takes effort to keep bugs off of produce instead of spraying chemicals. This is why I grow a garden.

And I'm a little irritated that they now label my candy which never had fat in it, 'fat free'.
And they now label my proteins 'sugar free'.
Orange soda is now 'caffiene free'. Wasn't it always caffiene free?

Soon enough they'll label my dehydrated goods 'water free', to charge more.
Then vacuum packed goods 'air free'.
Even dry soup mixes can't be labeled 'bug free'.

I save money by buying fresh veggies and fruit because they have more nutrition than dried, frozen, or any prepackaged concoction. I save money by eating what is in season.

The stores near us discount meats that are near their experationd dates. Some go as much as 50% off. I buy meats that we normally could never afford when they are reduced like this and immediately cook them or put them in the freezer. It is amazing the kinds of meats we can afford when we do this. The other day we had rib eye steaks that were as tender as butter. Often after a sale is over the meats will be reduced by another 20%. So Meat that is normally over $4.00 a pound can sometimes be bought for as little as 1.19 a pound. It really helps to know the prices so you know if you are really getting a bargain or not.

IMHO life without Diet Coke is not worth living. :ROFLMAO:

Hi all! Newbie here, thanks for the interesting reading. My job pays once a month so we stock up usually in one big trip (or series of trips). We have a BJ's Wholesale Club, Aldi, and Wegmans close by. Wegmans is the best quality but most expensive generally. You pay for the cleanliness and great service. Aldi is cheapest for "staples" like cheese, bread, canned goods, etc. but the selection is not great and the quality is hit and miss. I use BJ's mostly for non-perishables like paper products, sometimes for snacks for lunches, bathroom essentials (shampoo, soap, etc.) but the price is not always the lowest. I just like not having to shop as often for that stuff.

I usually go to BJs first, then Aldi, then to Wegmans to get whatever I could not get/find at the other 2. Then we make occasional stops at Wegmans for milk or fresh produce as needed. If I don't buy a lot of meat I can get away with spending $300 total. I will check sales for meat and then check a couple of local butchers. It seems around here some supermarkets know people prefer one-stop shopping so they won't discount meat much. Although it may be changing because this week I found boneless skinless chicken breast for 1.69/lb. We have a chest freezer (big help!) so I bought 15 lbs. Confession time: I have been buying frozen 1lb packages (tubes) of ground beef for the convenience of storage and time saving of not having to separate the big packages. I know we are suffering on quality though. 80/20 is 2.29 or 2.39/lb at Aldi. They also have 3-lb tubes of 75/25 for even less per pound (1.99 maybe?). But, I have been dying to grind my own beef so I got a meat grinder (should be here today) and will try getting a huge chuck roast for 2.39/lb and see how that works out. Anxious to see how much better it tastes.

I have been working from home for almost 3 years and it definitely gives me some freedom to be able to make large batches of soups, sauces, bread, muffins, etc. so we are eating better and saving money that way. A key element in saving money is investing time in food prep and storage. Convenience can cost a lot! But, everyone is so busy these days, and the stores know it.

Sorry for rambling, I think I'm going to really like this place!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom