"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Budget Friendly Dishes

Old 10-19-2010, 11:24 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Where do you save $$$

I know that cooking from scratch is supposed to save money but I've noticed that this is only true if you stay away from premium cuts of meat and organic foods (mainly produce for us). Well we happen to like both of those things so I'm just wondering what I could be doing to compensate for this. I know rice, pasta, potatoes and beans are good staples to have and we are well stocked with those things. I also make my own chicken stock from any scraps I have so I never have to buy stock at the store. Maybe I should be taking better advantage of our Sam's membership and buying food in bulk? Right now we mainly use it for non-food items. Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:30 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Actually, I use the money savings from using very little processed foods and making dishes from scratch, and buy Organic produce.

Old 10-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #3
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

Bulk does save money on non-perishables. Unless you can eat the whole case of produce ...

I found that I am saving money buying only what we are going to eat in a week...I mean on produce, meat, etc. I go to the store more often, but I don't have the massive amount of spoilage I had when I only shopped once a month.
Old 10-19-2010, 11:35 AM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

We shop at the bulk stores as well as the usual supermarkets. Bulk stores can give you better prices unless the supermarket is having a sale. So you have to know the prices and shop when the time is right. Get the mailed or online sales flyers and read them before you make a shopping list.

We have an upright freezer in addition to the freezer on the fridge. We use it to store the on sale purchases and large batches of foods I cook and freeze.

You can cut down on the cost of meals by using less meat and more fillers. Meats stretch a lot farther if you add them to a casserole, soup or stew than if you make a meat, potato and veggie meal.

Also, if you make more stews, soups and braises, you can use cheaper cuts of meats, saving money.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:05 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
I buy stuff we use a lot at Costco. Big bags of walnuts go in the freezer. I cut meat into meal sized portions and freeze them. We buy the giant tin of crushed tomatoes (don't remember how much it holds, but it's about 12" tall by 8" in diameter) for the big batch of pasta sauce that goes in the freezer. We buy a flat of tinned tomatoes for all the other uses of tinned tomatoes, where you don't need that much. But, I keep an eye on the prices because sometimes the specials at regular grocery stores are better.

As to the organic food, I really wish I could afford to buy all organic produce. But, since I can't at the moment, I use the lists of "the clean 15" and "the dirty dozen" from this website: EWG's 2010 Shopper's Guide to Pesticides Sneak Peak | Environmental Working Group Watch the video, it's sensible and only 3:03 minutes long. I take the same attitude as the good doctor. I don't eat the stuff on the dirty dozen list when I can't get it organic. Only getting the organic stuff that is cheap or on that list saves me a bunch of money.
Old 10-19-2010, 12:07 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Ooh, I lied. I buy regular apples and peel them.
Old 10-19-2010, 01:02 PM   #7
Half Baked

I cut my food bill by shopping the flyers for bargains.I shop not only the supermarkets but ethnic food stores and the flea market where they sell tons of produce from local farms.

It pays to know your prices.Costco,Walmart and the discount supermarket don't always have the best deals.

Beef tenderloin at the supermarket when at it's lowest is 8.99lb.My ethnic market is 4.99 and 3.99 when on sale.

I get avacados for 25 cents each at the flea market.

Costco eggs are cheapest but their meat is expensive.

etc.etc.etc.

I use coupons too when I can.

I have been a stay at home Dad since Feb so going to market is a another way to get of the house for me and my 2yr old too.

My Flickr stuff!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/e_maxwell_photography/
4meandthem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 01:06 PM   #8
Senior Cook

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far! I monitor the sales at our grocery store pretty closely and always try to add coupons on top of stuff that's already on sale. I've save a lot that way. I'll do a little more scouting at Sam's next time I'm there so I can start comparing costs. I wish we had room for an extra freezer. We have the tiniest kitchen you've ever seen (it hurts my soul, lol) and we don't have a basement or anywhere else to put it. Hubs is always complaining about how packed our freezer is. I've also learned that shopping more frequently helps to reduce food waste, although sometimes I cry when I forget about whatever it was I threw into the crisper and forgot about. Last time it was Kale, but now thanks to taxlady, I know I was better off not eating it since it is one of the dirty dozen. That list is super helpful, I printed a couple guides off to keep in my purse and on the fridge. I knew a few of them on the list but a few of them surprised me too. Thanks again!
Old 10-19-2010, 01:09 PM   #9
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4meandthem View Post
I have been a stay at home Dad since Feb so going to market is a another way to get of the house for me and my 2yr old too.
Kudos to you! My husband is a stay at home dad too! We love it! Taking the kids to market is such a good experience too. Very educational and fun! Our market is very kid-friendly.
Old 10-20-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

I stay away from The Dirty Dozen, if at all possible. I'm really good with the prices of all the stores I shop at, except the other day when I went to buy pudding cups for Shrek. I don't usually buy them and found out I could have saved $7 if I had gotten them at Walmart. Oh well, live and learn.

I am willing to spend a little more at local-owned grocery stores, trying to keep my dollar local. If the difference in price is less than a dollar at Walmart, I buy at the local store.