A frightening but delicious salad.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

blackpig

Assistant Cook
I haven't posted here for quite some time, having joined at the behest of the late, great and much lamented Sydfan. Having recently re-discovered my username and password has also helped. :rolleyes:

Anyway, here, for your delectation, is a fine recipe I dug out of an old book. I think it's from North Africa and is not only good to eat but is also hugely good to look at. It also takes about two minutes to prepare just the thing for the dashing young man about town with a hangover who can't be bothered.

Ingredients:

A few oranges, peeled and with the pith removed and cut into wedges.

A cup of pitted black olives.

1 Tbs each of chopped coriander and parsley.

I Tbs each of lemon juice and olive oil.

1/2 level tsp each of paprika and cumin.

Method:

Put the orange wedges, olives, coriander and parsley into a bowl. Make a dressing with the other ingredients and whisk them together until they blend. Pour over the salad and toss gently.

It helps if you chill it in the fridge for 30 or so minutes. :chef:

Looks fantastic to me! Not frightening at all.

I immediately thought of adding watercress, too, since it pairs so well with orange

jenny, is watercress bitter on any way where you buy it?

not in a bad way, more like good arrugula bitter. just enough to be a dimension of the dish without being too much.

the watercress i get is so bland i find it more about a veggie crunch rather than a flavour.

I made a nice tossed salad last night--I had 1 head of Romaine lettuce, green pepper, mushrooms, red onion, two clementines, and chia seeds. For the dressing, I combine olive oil, white balsamic vinegar, about 2 tsp of maple syrup, salt and pepper. The fruit and the maple syrup added a nice touch.

Whilst we're on the subject of dressings here's one that goes well with seafood. Some of the ingredients come from jars but don't let that put you off. The amounts of each ingredient used are up to the individual - instead of an ounce of this or a tbs of that simply use dollops...

A dollop of mayonaise.

A slightly smaller dollop of tomato ketchup.

A few drops of Tabasco.

Lemon juice and zest.

Salt & pepper for seasoning.

Combine all of the ingredients and give them a good mix. The lemon juice will make everything go funny and curdle but keep stirring. The more lemon juice you use the runnier the final result will be - you can use lots to make a dressing to pour or you can use a little to give a thicker consistency. Delicious with prawns or smoked salmon.

Blackpig, that's a variation on "Thousand Island Dressing!" ;)

(Some diabetics use lemon juice in place of the traditional sweet pickle relish.)

Last edited:
jenny, is watercress bitter on any way where you buy it?

not in a bad way, more like good arrugula bitter. just enough to be a dimension of the dish without being too much.

the watercress i get is so bland i find it more about a veggie crunch rather than a flavour.

Yes, mine is excellent crunchy and spicy. I buy it at the Asian supermarket.

Whilst we're on the subject of dressings here's one that goes well with seafood. Some of the ingredients come from jars but don't let that put you off. The amounts of each ingredient used are up to the individual - instead of an ounce of this or a tbs of that simply use dollops...

A dollop of mayonaise.

A few drops of Tabasco.

Lemon juice and zest.

Combine all of the ingredients and give them a good mix. The lemon juice will make everything go funny and curdle but keep stirring. The more lemon juice you use the runnier the final result will be - you can use lots to make a dressing to pour or you can use a little to give a thicker consistency. Delicious with prawns or smoked salmon.
Great! I have all these ingredients! I enjoy poppyseed dressing as a pair with salmon salad as well. Here is the recipe.

1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and onion and process for 20 seconds. With blender or food processor on high, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds.

Enjoy!
Andrew

Last edited by a moderator:

A dollop of mayonaise.

A few drops of Tabasco.

Lemon juice and zest.

Another similiar dressing is homemade bbq sauce mixed with mayo. 3 parts bbq to 1 part mayo. It makes a great b.l.t. dressing.

Great! I have all these ingredients! I enjoy poppyseed dressing as a pair with salmon salad as well. Here is the recipe.

1/3 cup white sugar
1/2 cup white vinegar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon ground dry mustard
1 teaspoon grated onion
1 cup vegetable oil
1 tablespoon poppy seeds

In a blender or food processor, combine sugar, vinegar, salt, mustard and onion and process for 20 seconds. With blender or food processor on high, gradually add oil in a slow, steady stream. Stir in poppy seeds.

Enjoy!
Andrew
I am not much for measurements in recipies (except baking) but here is another good poppy seed dressing:TNT
Mayonaise
Sour cream
Honey
Marashino cherry juce
Fresh garlic
Poppy seed

This salad sounds really good quite unusual but thats always good. I love fruity salads. Mangoes and peaches are also good to play around with in savory salads to add some sweetness.

Watercress has a "peppery" taste. When I was visiting my uncle in Western WI over Easter, we went to the local stream and harvested watercress. To grow, it needs a cold stream that is mineral rich...wish I could get it to "take" in the stream that runs through our "bush" ... I added it to salad, and a chicken soup I'd made...I also made a salad dressing using it. The "wild" watercress is not fun to clean--typically you get a lot of bugs with it when you harvest it...but, clean it I did.

Arugula or nastursium leaves can be substituted for watercress.

Back
Top Bottom