"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > General Cooking Information > Menu Planning > Meals in Minutes

Old 06-21-2010, 05:34 AM   #11
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcnerd View Post
Or use the word "Casserole".

Casserole Defined - Slashfood

Cantonese Sweet and Sour Spam

2 Tbs cooking oil
1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
6 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small cucumber, cut in chunks
2/3 cup water
1 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs catsup
3 Tbs vinegar
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
1 12 oz can spam Luncheon Meat, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained

1. In wok or large skillet, cook oil over medium heat. Add carrot, green onion, garlic and cucumber. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisply tender (4 to 5 minutes).

2. Add remaining ingredients except SPAM and bamboo shoots. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened (5 to 6 minutes).

3. Add SPAM and bamboo shoots. Cook over medium heat until heated through (4 to 5 minutes).

4. Serve over rice.

Servings: 4
Prep Time:: 15 minutes
Source: recipezaar.com
I'm gonna give this one a try! But is it ok if I don't add the carrot, bamboo shoots and cucumber? Sorry I'm not really a veggie person :(

Old 06-21-2010, 12:22 PM   #12
Head Chef

Go for it, but it won't then really be Cantonese.

Old 06-21-2010, 12:25 PM   #13
Master Chef

Gosh - in that case, why even bother with the recipe? Just eat the Spam plain.
Old 06-21-2010, 01:44 PM   #14
Head Chef

That's what I was thinking! Maybe just use the flavors on spam, fry.

Wyogal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 11:06 AM   #15
Assistant Cook

Well I was thinking of substituting it with veggies that I like such as...potatoes? :D
Old 06-22-2010, 11:41 AM   #16
Master Chef

Sweet & Sour Spam & Potatoes? Not my taste, but food is all about personal preference. However, if that's what you like, I'd just make home-fry potatoes & Spam, perhaps with an egg or two, & leave it at that.
Old 06-24-2010, 10:30 AM   #17
Assistant Cook

Hmm...yeah ok I see your points now. Hehehe I'm such a noob sorry!
Old 06-24-2010, 10:40 AM   #18
Master Chef

There's nothing to be sorry about. If you think you'd like the "sweet & sour sauce" on your Spam (in Hawaii, sweet-&-sour Spam is actually quite popular, I understand), then just cook up the sauce ingredients (2/3 cup water with the 1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved into it, 3 Tbs sugar, 3 Tbs catsup, 3 Tbs vinegar, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp soy sauce) & either stir in your cubed Spam or pour it over slices. Nothing wrong with that.
Old 08-14-2010, 06:08 AM   #19
Senior Cook

One pan wonder is by Yotam Ottolenghi

One-pan-wonder is intense in flavour and almost muddy in texture, but I find it magnificently pleasing, particularly when it mixes up with the juicy tomatoes and the yoghurt. Tahini paste tends to split in the jar into solids and liquids, so stir well before use. This dish is straightforward, yet tastes complex and has a very grown-up kind of appeal. Serve with good white bread for a weekend brunch or a hearty supper.
Serves two.

75ml olive oil
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
7oz / 200g baby potatoes, cut into 5mm thick slices
˝ red bird eye chilli, finely chopped
˝ tablespoon sumac
salt and black pepper
˝ teaspoon caster sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
3˝ oz / 100g Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
scant 11 oz / 300g cherry tomatoes, on the vine
4 free-range eggs
1˝ tablespoons tahini paste
1 tablespoon chopped coriander

Heat three tablespoons of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick sauté pan. Add the onions, potatoes, chilli, sumac and some salt and pepper, and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and golden-brown and the potatoes are cooked. Stir in the sugar and garlic, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir the yoghurt, lemon juice and a tablespoon of oil, and set aside. Place an iron pan on high heat and, once hot, lay in the tomatoes vine facing up. Roast for three to four minutes, until well charred. Remove from the heat.

Once the onions and potatoes are cooked, spread them evenly over the base of their pan and crack the eggs on top, trying not to break the yolks. Cook for three minutes on medium heat until the egg whites are almost set, then drizzle tahini on top, avoiding the yolks. Cover and cook for two minutes, until the whites are set. Remove from the heat, drizzle with yoghurt, again avoiding the yolks, and sprinkle with coriander. Place the tomatoes on top and finish with a trickle of oil. Bring to the table in the pan.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:23 PM   #20
Senior Cook

I copied this some time ago and can't remember where I got it - could be from this forum. My notes are at the bottom, this is a keeper.

If you love Italian sausage, and if you love creamy pasta, and if you love the idea of a one-pot meal, this recipe is just for you. I couldn't believe how good it tastes. I used the hot Italian pork (not turkey) sausage and forgot to drain it. Really, I did.

Remember, you don't have to pre-cook the pasta. The only other time I've done that is with lasagna, and it's a very nice feature of this recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

You don't need the tomatoes or the spinach, but they are nice additions and make the dish pretty! Don't worry about the quantity of spinach; remember how fast it cooks down to almost nothing.

Skillet Penne and Sausage Supper

Italian pork sausage can be used here, but you may have to spoon off some of the fat before adding the pasta. Be sure to use at least a 12-inch skillet.

1 T olive oil
1 onion, minced
salt
1 lb hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped fine
8-oz penne, 2 1/2 c
2 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 c heavy cream
(1) 5-oz bag baby spinach
1 oz Parmesan, grated, 1/2 c
pepper

Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until simmering. Add the onion and 1/2 t salt and cook until softened, about 5 min.

Stir in the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 min.

Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Sprinkle the tomatoes and penne evenly over the sausage. Pour the broth and cream over the pasta. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.

ATC – America’s Test Kitchen

My notes – I use canned tomatoes instead of sun dried. Add mushrooms and don’t usually add the cream. Love this recipe
Any greens I have on hand – escarole for example works well. And don’t forget the parsleyJ