All in one pot/pan recipes?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kamp

Senior Cook
English is not my best language and I don't know what you call it in english. In norwegian we say "all in one pan" dinners about dinners recipes where all the ingredients is in the same pan so there is very little to clean. One recipes is uncooked rice, chicken stock, vegetable og then the chicken legs on the top. Put it in the oven for 25 mintues and its done. Easy and tasty, and little to clean.

Does anyone have more of this recipes? Or maybe a website that have easy recipes where there is little to prepare and clean?

One-Pot-Meals! Try that in a search, there are many to choose from. I'd make suggestions, but those I can think of may not fall into your special dietary needs. Good Luck!

Or use the word "Casserole".

Casserole Defined - Slashfood

Cantonese Sweet and Sour Spam

2 Tbs cooking oil
1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
6 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small cucumber, cut in chunks
2/3 cup water
1 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs catsup
3 Tbs vinegar
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
1 12 oz can spam Luncheon Meat, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained

1. In wok or large skillet, cook oil over medium heat. Add carrot, green onion, garlic and cucumber. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisply tender (4 to 5 minutes).

2. Add remaining ingredients except SPAM and bamboo shoots. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened (5 to 6 minutes).

3. Add SPAM and bamboo shoots. Cook over medium heat until heated through (4 to 5 minutes).

4. Serve over rice.

Servings: 4
Prep Time:: 15 minutes
Source: recipezaar.com

One-Pot-Meals! Try that in a search, there are many to choose from. I'd make suggestions, but those I can think of may not fall into your special dietary needs. Good Luck!

Thanks!
I will try to make a seach on one pot meals.

It is not for my diet, it is for my friend. She has 3 kids with autism/adhd and is so tired now.. So she is looking for easy recipes :)

One pot meals or casseroles are not necessarily quicker or easier. My method is to plan ahead and "precook" many of the foods and then freeze them, such as chicken pieces, rice, pasta, ground beef, sandwiches and even steaks. Its very much related to once-a-month-cooking (OAMC).

The important part of any advance cooking is to freeze the food properly protected from freezer burn -- I recommend FoodSaver vacuum sealing.

Hey Kamp, this isn't necessarily an answer to your question about easy recipes, but I just stumbled upon this website recently about kids with autism/adhd and a diet that may help alleviate some of the symptoms, you might want to pass along to your friend the address with all the info she'd need is at Food Intolerance Network

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/information/foodbrochure1.pdf explains how food affects children's behaviors...

it's not a cure by any means, but a lot of parents especially of kids with add/adhd see vast improvement in some of their kid's behavior by altering their diet. There is also a section of recipes to do while doing the diet, which would make it easier for her if it was something she wanted to try. Diet can have a huge impact on the quality of your life and unfortunately many times doctor's don't even suggest this as a means of treatment. I happen to be doing this diet right now because I am breastfeeding and my son has been very refluxy/grumpy/restless since birth and I have to say eliminating certain foods from my diet has changed him dramatically.

Here's the recipes link recipes

Tell your friend I wish her the best of luck! She is lucky to have a friend that is doing research to make her life easier!

Two Cents and Beef Stew

Here is a really good opportunity for people to post recipes they love/enjoy making but it immediately gets dashed by suggestions of searching for key terms. I came to the forum to discuss cooking, but too often I see attempts of new threads diverted by pointing someone to go search. This has been my personal experience here more than once. And to be honest, it is why I've not been as active as I was when I started. I do believe everyone is trying to be helpful, but being told to go do a search is not why most come to a cooking forum. I can do that on my own with Google, and I like to believe most do that before posting a question. I think most people seek interaction as much as advice.

Also, searches often do not turn up what one is seeking. When I searched for the suggested term "one-pot-meals", I got directed to the pressure cooker vs. slow cooker thread. I don't think that was what kamp asked for in this excellent idea for a topic. It might be more helpful to post the link. Just my unsolicited two cents.

So to kamp, thank you for suggesting this topic. One of my favorite one pot meals is beef stew. Here is how I make mine:

All amounts are approximated:

1 - 1.5 pounds of chuck roast cut into cubes
1 med. to large onion chopped
3 to 4 stalks of celery sliced thin
1 - 1.5 pounds of carrots, peeled and sliced (or use whole baby carrots)
2 pounds potatoes, scrubbed and cut in large chunks and rinsed again
(if the skins are thick, peel them)
2 - 15 oz cans of stewed tomatoes
beef bouillon cubes or beef broth
pepper and salt to taste
a bit of olive oil

Heat a large pot with high heat, then add the bit of olive oil until it barely coats the bottom. Sauté the onion until it wilts and then add the beef to brown it. Add a can of stewed tomatoes to get the browned bits off of the bottom of the pan and add everything else. If the liquid does not cover all, add a broth until it does. (If using water, I add a beef bouillon cup for every 3/4 - 1 cup.) Add pepper and salt (I use no salt if using bouillon and adjust when done.) Bring to a boil and reduce heat to simmer until done. (Around 60 min. for me because I like big chunks of potato.)

Oh, I don't thicken mine with flour nor do I dredge the beef in flour. I'm diabetic and would prefer to save those carbs for cornbread. :)

~Kathleen

Here are three of my favorites, kamp. Hope your friend can use them.

ETHIOPIAN VEGETABLE STEW
Serves four as an entrée, 6-8 as a side dish.

2 med. to large potatoes
2 carrots
2 yellow onions
¼ head cabbage
Handful fresh green beans
5-8 cloves garlic, minced
2-3 TB vegetable oil

2 tsp. Ground ginger
2 tsp. Turmeric
1 tsp. salt
½ tsp. Black pepper
2 C. water

Cut vegetables into bite size pieces (cabbage can be larger as it wilts so much). Sauté briefly in oil with minced garlic. Add the spices and the water.
Bring to a boil and simmer covered, stirring occasionally, about 40 minutes.
Adjust seasonings and serve hot. Delicious served with cottage cheese and green salad tossed with a lemon vinaigrette.

Rice Vegetable Cheese Casserole
Serves 4 to 6

I’ve made this so many times, but have never measured or written it down.
It’s delicious every time and doesn’t really need specific quantities.
Just put in what you like or have and leave out what you don’t. The only “musts” are the rice, butter, cheese and liquid. Here’s what I put in mine, but you can make it your own with your favorite ingredients.

3-4 cups cooked rice.
4-6 TB. butter or margarine
11/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese
2-3 cups sliced tomatoes, white or yellow onion slices, sliced mushrooms, broccoli and/or zucchini or any veggies of your choice.
1 cup liquid. It can be chicken or vegetable broth or white wine or a combination.
Water is OK too.

Spread a cup of cooked rice on the bottom of a greased casserole dish. Layer
veggies on top of the rice. Dot with 1-2 TB butter, divided so that you have 5 or 6 “dots”.
Sprinkle with ¼ to 1/3 cup of the cheese. Repeat until you run out of rice and vegetables.
It doesn’t matter what ends up on top, but some cheese is nice. Pour the 1 cup of liquid over the whole thing. Cover and pop into a 350 degree oven for about 45-50 minutes or until it’s piping hot in the center. Serve with crusty French bread and a fruit salad.
Tastes even better the second day.

Tuna-Noodle Casserole

3 c. med. egg noodles

I can 10 ½ oz. condensed cream of mushroom soup
4 oz. Velveeta cheese
½ c. milk

1 6-7 oz. Can tuna
½ c. mayonnaise
1/3 cup chopped celery
3/4 c. chopped onion
1/3 c. chopped jarred red bell pepper

1/3-1/2 can Durkee’s French onions

Preheat oven to 425.

Cook noodles in pot of boiling salted (1 tsp) water.
Cook following directions for timing. Taste one to see if it’s done. Drain.

Put the soup and milk in another pan. Heat on med. low. Cube the Velveeta and add to the heating soup. Heat until cheese is melted.

Mix together all the other ingredients in a casserole dish. Than add the cooked noodles and the heated soup/cheese.

Sprinkle the fried onions all over the top. You can also use potato chips or something similar.

Bake uncovered for 20 minutes.

Hey Kamp, this isn't necessarily an answer to your question about easy recipes, but I just stumbled upon this website recently about kids with autism/adhd and a diet that may help alleviate some of the symptoms, you might want to pass along to your friend the address with all the info she'd need is at Food Intolerance Network

http://www.fedupwithfoodadditives.info/information/foodbrochure1.pdf explains how food affects children's behaviors...

it's not a cure by any means, but a lot of parents especially of kids with add/adhd see vast improvement in some of their kid's behavior by altering their diet. There is also a section of recipes to do while doing the diet, which would make it easier for her if it was something she wanted to try. Diet can have a huge impact on the quality of your life and unfortunately many times doctor's don't even suggest this as a means of treatment. I happen to be doing this diet right now because I am breastfeeding and my son has been very refluxy/grumpy/restless since birth and I have to say eliminating certain foods from my diet has changed him dramatically.

Here's the recipes link recipes

Tell your friend I wish her the best of luck! She is lucky to have a friend that is doing research to make her life easier!

That was a good webpage :)

I know that food affect behavior.. If it wasn't for the diet I would still have been very autistic :( But diet and biomedical treatment has helped me a lot ;)

That's interesting! :D I got some good search results! I hope to try this next week... :chef:

Or use the word "Casserole".

Casserole Defined - Slashfood

Cantonese Sweet and Sour Spam

2 Tbs cooking oil
1 large carrot, sliced diagonally
6 green onions, chopped
1 garlic clove, minced
1 small cucumber, cut in chunks
2/3 cup water
1 Tbs cornstarch
3 Tbs sugar
3 Tbs catsup
3 Tbs vinegar
1 tsp ginger
1 tsp soy sauce
1 12 oz can spam Luncheon Meat, diced into 1/2-inch cubes
1 8 oz can bamboo shoots, drained

1. In wok or large skillet, cook oil over medium heat. Add carrot, green onion, garlic and cucumber. Cook over medium heat, stirring occasionally, until crisply tender (4 to 5 minutes).

2. Add remaining ingredients except SPAM and bamboo shoots. Continue cooking, stirring constantly, until sauce is thickened (5 to 6 minutes).

3. Add SPAM and bamboo shoots. Cook over medium heat until heated through (4 to 5 minutes).

4. Serve over rice.

Servings: 4
Prep Time:: 15 minutes
Source: recipezaar.com

I'm gonna give this one a try! But is it ok if I don't add the carrot, bamboo shoots and cucumber? Sorry I'm not really a veggie person :(

Well I was thinking of substituting it with veggies that I like such as...potatoes? :D

Sweet & Sour Spam & Potatoes? Not my taste, but food is all about personal preference. However, if that's what you like, I'd just make home-fry potatoes & Spam, perhaps with an egg or two, & leave it at that.

There's nothing to be sorry about. If you think you'd like the "sweet & sour sauce" on your Spam (in Hawaii, sweet-&-sour Spam is actually quite popular, I understand), then just cook up the sauce ingredients (2/3 cup water with the 1 Tbs cornstarch dissolved into it, 3 Tbs sugar, 3 Tbs catsup, 3 Tbs vinegar, 1 tsp ginger, 1 tsp soy sauce) & either stir in your cubed Spam or pour it over slices. Nothing wrong with that.

One pan wonder is by Yotam Ottolenghi
img_914264_0_9431c2c6b5cd708d9e4f612454697ad5.jpg

One-pan-wonder is intense in flavour and almost muddy in texture, but I find it magnificently pleasing, particularly when it mixes up with the juicy tomatoes and the yoghurt. Tahini paste tends to split in the jar into solids and liquids, so stir well before use. This dish is straightforward, yet tastes complex and has a very grown-up kind of appeal. Serve with good white bread for a weekend brunch or a hearty supper.
Serves two.

75ml olive oil
3 medium onions, thinly sliced
7oz / 200g baby potatoes, cut into 5mm thick slices
½ red bird eye chilli, finely chopped
½ tablespoon sumac
salt and black pepper
½ teaspoon caster sugar
1 garlic clove, crushed
3½ oz / 100g Greek yoghurt
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
scant 11 oz / 300g cherry tomatoes, on the vine
4 free-range eggs
1½ tablespoons tahini paste
1 tablespoon chopped coriander

Heat three tablespoons of oil in a medium, preferably nonstick sauté pan. Add the onions, potatoes, chilli, sumac and some salt and pepper, and cook on medium heat for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally, until the onions are soft and golden-brown and the potatoes are cooked. Stir in the sugar and garlic, taste and add more salt and pepper if needed.

Meanwhile, in a bowl, stir the yoghurt, lemon juice and a tablespoon of oil, and set aside. Place an iron pan on high heat and, once hot, lay in the tomatoes vine facing up. Roast for three to four minutes, until well charred. Remove from the heat.

Once the onions and potatoes are cooked, spread them evenly over the base of their pan and crack the eggs on top, trying not to break the yolks. Cook for three minutes on medium heat until the egg whites are almost set, then drizzle tahini on top, avoiding the yolks. Cover and cook for two minutes, until the whites are set. Remove from the heat, drizzle with yoghurt, again avoiding the yolks, and sprinkle with coriander. Place the tomatoes on top and finish with a trickle of oil. Bring to the table in the pan.

I copied this some time ago and can't remember where I got it - could be from this forum. My notes are at the bottom, this is a keeper.

If you love Italian sausage, and if you love creamy pasta, and if you love the idea of a one-pot meal, this recipe is just for you. I couldn't believe how good it tastes. I used the hot Italian pork (not turkey) sausage and forgot to drain it. Really, I did.

Remember, you don't have to pre-cook the pasta. The only other time I've done that is with lasagna, and it's a very nice feature of this recipe from America's Test Kitchen.

You don't need the tomatoes or the spinach, but they are nice additions and make the dish pretty! Don't worry about the quantity of spinach; remember how fast it cooks down to almost nothing.

Skillet Penne and Sausage Supper

Italian pork sausage can be used here, but you may have to spoon off some of the fat before adding the pasta. Be sure to use at least a 12-inch skillet.

1 T olive oil
1 onion, minced
salt
1 lb hot or sweet Italian turkey sausage, casings removed
3 garlic cloves, minced
1/2 c oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and chopped fine
8-oz penne, 2 1/2 c
2 1/2 c low-sodium chicken broth
1/2 c heavy cream
(1) 5-oz bag baby spinach
1 oz Parmesan, grated, 1/2 c
pepper

Heat the oil in a 12-inch nonstick skillet over medium heat until simmering. Add the onion and 1/2 t salt and cook until softened, about 5 min.

Stir in the sausage and cook, breaking up the meat with a wooden spoon, until no longer pink, about 4 min.

Stir in the garlic and cook until fragrant, about 15 seconds. Sprinkle the tomatoes and penne evenly over the sausage. Pour the broth and cream over the pasta. Cover and bring to a boil. Reduce the heat to medium-low and continue to simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is tender, about 10 minutes.

Stir in the spinach a handful at a time and cook until wilted, about 2 minutes. Stir in the Parmesan and season with salt and pepper to taste.

ATC – America’s Test Kitchen

My notes – I use canned tomatoes instead of sun dried. Add mushrooms and don’t usually add the cream. Love this recipe
Any greens I have on hand – escarole for example works well. And don’t forget the parsleyJ

Back
Top Bottom